Author Topic: A year without either an El Niño or a La Niña?  (Read 1099 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.13.4/WC 3.0
Re: A year without either an El Niño or a La Niña?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 01:08:32 AM »
I think the key word in that “explanation” is hedges...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:32 AM »
Their guess may be more scientific than mine, but mine is just as probable.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011)
Dear Blick and WeatherCat gamblers on da' weather,

Their guess may be more scientific than mine, but mine is just as probable.

[wink] . . . . Oh I dunno'  50% odds are simply a coin toss, but your odds are much better in a coin toss if you happen to sneak in a two-headed coin! . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
El Niño watch? (Re: El Niño or La Niña? )
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 12:25:16 AM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of El Niño and La Niña,

Just when you thought it was safe to turn your television back on - the El Niño La Niña soap opera is back!  The folks at the climate prediction center and friends have issued a El Niño watch on June 14th:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_disc_jun2018/ensodisc.shtml

The punch line reads:

ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to 50% during fall, and ~65% during winter 2018-19

The key text is as follows:

The majority of models in the IRI/CPC plume predict ENSO-neutral to continue through the Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with El Niño most likely thereafter [Fig. 6]. The forecaster consensus favors the onset of El Niño during the Northern Hemisphere fall, which would then continue through winter. These forecasts are supported by the ongoing build-up of heat within the tropical Pacific Ocean. In summary, ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to 50% during fall, and ~65% during winter 2018-19 (click CPC/IRI consensus forecast for the chance of each outcome for each 3-month period).

So what does this mean for us mere morals . . . . . . . who knows?

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »
Remember the old Saturday Night Live clips where Chris Farley translated Spanish into English for us?

"I am El Niño! All other tropical storms must bow before El Niño! ¡Yo soy El Niño! For those of you who don't habla español, 'El Niño' is Spanish for ... 'the Niño'!"
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sticking to their El Niño prediction (Re: El Niño or a La Niña?)
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
Dear viewers of the El Niño or a La Niña soap opera,

The July update didn't make any headlines so I missed it until now.  However the forecast continues to be for a El Niño event for this autumn and winter.  Here is the link:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_disc_jul2018/ensodisc.shtml

The summary reads as follows: "ENSO-neutral is favored through Northern Hemisphere summer 2018, with the chance for El Niño increasing to about 65% during fall, and to about 70% during winter 2018-19"

Wikipedia has a list of regional impacts based on overall research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o#Regional_impacts

According to the same Wikipedia article, the recent El Niño events are listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o#Occurrences

The last two are the end of 2009-10 and 2014-15.  My station went up in October 2009, so I don't have the 2009-10 winter.  The 2014-15 event was the worst drought episode recorded by my station.

On the other hand, according to Wikipedia the La Niña events are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a#Occurrences

That includes most of 2010 and 2016-17 wet years.  That is consistent with the overall observation that La Niña events bring additional rainfall to Northern California:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a#North_America

It seems to me that at least for Northern California, El Niño now brings droughts while La Niña events seem to intensify atmospheric rivers.  So depending on where you are in the Western United States, this could be another tough and dry winter.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
Re: Sticking to their El Niño prediction (Re: El Niño or a La Niña?)
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 04:51:30 AM »
It seems to me that at least for Northern California, El Niño now brings droughts while La Niña events seem to intensify atmospheric rivers.  So depending on where you

Just the kind of news we do not need. I'd rather hear about the Buick.
Blick