Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 129642 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some exercise before the rains. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #300 on: January 03, 2021, 11:04:56 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of a certain rascally wagon,

As reported elsewhere on this forum, the National Weather Service is forecasting a wetter than normal January for Northern California.  We still had dry pavement on the 1st, so I took my trusty wagon out for a quick run to a nearby church.  It made for an appealing background so I took a few pictures of which this is the best:

If you look carefully, you can even see a Christmas tree in the window directly above the hood (click for a larger image.)

Not a bad way to bid farewell to the holiday season and start in earnest the January grind.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:22 AM »
Nice wagon. Do you always park in Handicap Only spaces? Hahaha. All of us are slightly handicapped if we ever had to use Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Isn't it obvious? . . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat "skillful drivers in parking lots,"

Nice wagon. Do you always park in Handicap Only spaces? Hahaha. All of us are slightly handicapped if we ever had to use Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

[wink] . . . . . Of course not!  But when I do, I park so badly that it should be obvious that I'm handicapped!  No need for a placard! . . . . .  lol(1)

Besides, Biquette wasn't actually in the handicapped spaces.  She was parked in between the spaces blocking the whole parking lot!

Of course on New Year's afternoon . . . . . not a worry!   [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Biquette's Superbowl outing. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2021, 10:52:55 PM »

A collector car friend of mine decided that a great time to drive your classics is during the Superbowl.  With everyone glued to their TV the roads are much more quiet.  Since both our local NFL football teams have put profits before fan loyalty, it didn't take much to get me to follow his lead.  This year, I decided to take some photos next to an old department store building that has long been closed.  During the week, there are lots of cars parked in the area, but surely on Superbowl Sunday the area would be completely vacant - right?

Alas no - there were cars parked in exactly the position I had staked out for my photos, so I had to come up with a Plan-B in a hurry.  I started by taking this photo behind the building housing Orinda Motors:

The building dates from before the 1930s so it was a perfect backdrop for a digitally aged photo.  For this example, I decided to make it into a faded slide:

In the end perhaps not the best choice because in part I only backdated the image to around the 1980s.  I had a slide from the time as a reference, and fortunately, even 40 year old slides hold up a lot better than slides just 10 years older.

There is a country club golf course nearby and some houses that clearly are quite old.  A stone wall separates a road from this location and that was my next photo venue:

This photo I made into a backdated black and white image:

I think this recreation turned out a lot better than the first.

I took one more picture but decided the background wasn't suitable for digital aging:

That's all the time I had and I returned home to all the waiting chores.

For your viewing pleasure . . . . . . Enjoy!    :)

Cheers, Edouard   [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing your Super Bowl outing.
Blick

BikerGeek

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW7830
    • KAZGLEND235
    • HDBitchin, a unique Harley Davidson Forum
  • Station Details: Netatmo WS with a Smart Anemometer & Smart Rain Gauge | MacBook Air (Late 2010) running macOS 10.13.6 (dedicated laptop for WeatherCat) | WeatherCat for AppleTV
« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2021, 04:16:16 AM »
Great pictures. Nicely done!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2021, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks Blick and BikerGeek!  :)

I certainly enjoy taking these images and making them appear like photos taken "back in the day!"

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Run to the home improvement store. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2021, 10:22:27 PM »

It is another hot dry summer here in California.  That means wildfire threats and . . . . . . Public Safety Power Shutoffs.  I've started to think about how the family might cope with having get in the car in darkness when the electricity is cut off.  Some 30 years ago we bought some solar powered landscape lights, but they are - to say the least - getting weary.  Costco had an attractive sale on some solar landscape lights, but I wanted to give my local home improvement store a chance to get my business - so I hopped in my trusty wagon to see what they had.

Just my luck, they didn't have anything like what I was looking for.  When I got home and tried to order the lights from Costco - they were sold out!  So much for trying to give the local guys a break!

I wanted to take a picture of Biquette in front of the store, but I just couldn't get the lighting to work.  So I took this photo once more in front of the Moraga barn:

Now all I need is some solar landscaping lights! 

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2021, 11:37:35 PM »
That car looks better with age. You probably do too, but that's just speculation on my part. I have a set of those Costco LEDs; sorry if I bought the last one.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #309 on: July 18, 2021, 06:00:14 AM »
If it is the box of five for $30, then we were greedy and bought eight boxes. Maybe ten…

💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Oh *swell* !! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #310 on: July 18, 2021, 10:55:38 PM »
Dear Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts,

That car looks better with age. . . . . . .

Well, . . . . . . there is nothing like a restoration to help with that!  :D

You probably do too, but that's just speculation on my part. . . . . . .

[wink] . . . . . Unfortunately, human restorations are a much more dicey business and NOS (New Old Stock) parts are incredibly difficult to find! . . . .  lol(1)

I have a set of those Costco LEDs; sorry if I bought the last one.

If it is the box of five for $30, then we were greedy and bought eight boxes. Maybe ten…

💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡

[wink] . . . . . . Well now, that's just, that's just, that's just .  . . . . . . . . swell !!! . . .  >:( . . . . . .  lol(1)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Fetching gas for Public Safety Power Shutoffs (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2021, 10:17:18 PM »

The seasons are changing and here in California that means wildfire season is about to kick into high gear.  I've been watching the weather carefully and the first serious off-shore wind event will happen Monday night into Tuesday.  It was time to acquire the gasoline to power our portable generator during Public Safety Power Shutoffs.  Da' trusty wagon got this errand and first stop was a local home improvement store for another 2-1/2 gallon gas tank:

Outdoor Supply Hardware is actually the "reboot" of the Orchard Supply Hardware chain which started all the way back in the depression.  With my additional tank, I could run over to a local gas station and fill'em up! 

I now have 10 gallons of gas with fuel stabilizer.  That should be enough to get through 5 days without power.  As you could see in the tailgate photo, I already had a 2-1/2 gas tank.  However, as can be seen in this picture, it is quite old:

My dad wrote "unleaded" on this tank because at the time we had a second tank for leaded gas since we still had an older lawn mower that used it.  California banned leaded gas in the early 1990s so this gas tank is around 30 years old!  So the reason my trusty wagon is in such good shape is because at our house we took good care of just about everything!!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
I have one of those new-fangled gas cans and I quite like the mechanism for releasing pressure buildup. The altitude where I fill up the can is about 5600 feet (1707 meters) and our home is at 8300 feet (2530 meters), so the easy release for pressurized vapor is handy.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Biquette and autumn foliage. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #313 on: October 29, 2021, 10:48:06 PM »
Dear WeatherCat automobile enthusiasts who enjoy autumn foliage,

I know that many WeatherCatters have already seen autumn come and gone.  However, here in parched California autumn comes late and disappears quickly.  I had some shopping to do and took my trusty wagon over to a strip mall that still has a nice selection of deciduous trees.  I was able to catch a few photos which contrasted Biquette's seafoam green with the colors of autumn leaves.  Here is the first one:

As always, you can click on any image to get an enlargement.

I took a second one in a partially shady area with trees that turn yellow:

I took this last one because this tree was very pretty if a bit small:

As you can see from the hillside in the background, while we have finally gotten some much needed rain, it will take a lot more to provide significant relief from the drought.

Rain is back in the forecast for next week, so these could be the only photos I'll get of Biquette with autumn foliage.  So enjoy them while you can!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #314 on: November 04, 2021, 04:32:22 PM »
Nice autumn leaves. Great vintage automobile. Thanks for sharing.
Blick