Author Topic: Bannergate  (Read 3322 times)

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 Plus and a Mac Mini M2
Bannergate
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:25 AM »
Any updates on the "Banner Generation Not Working Under Big Sur" problem?????

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Bannergate
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
I've been looking into here but don't see the problem - is anyone else seeing this issue?

Cheers,
Stu.

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Its mentioned a few times in this thread, by me as well as others

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3206.0

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Yup. Mentioned it under bugs and elsewhere.

I've been looking into here but don't see the problem - is anyone else seeing this issue?

Cheers,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Which hardware? Any log info? (Re: Bannergate)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 12:00:34 AM »
Dear wx-watch, Stu, ColdnFrosty, and WeatherCat early adopters,

. . . .

If Stu having trouble reproducing this problem, it would really help if you could provide Stu with as much detailed information about what you are observing and on what hardware.  Please include as many details as you can about the Mac you are running WeatherCat on.  Perhaps there is a memory or other unique hardware issue involved.

Also, if you could go through the WeatherCat logs to see if any error messages are being generated when the banner is not being generated.  Even the confirmation that no error messages are generated would be helpful to Stu.

Cheers, Edouard

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 12:13:39 AM »
Hope this helps - not much else to report:

When I click on the Tools > Banner Generator I display the Banner Generator pop-up with correct current weather data. (see attachment)

The Banner Generator never actually generates the file. The log shows the following and repeats every 5 minutes as that is the timeframe I am using for updates:

2020/11/28 10:18:45:290  Aux. FTP: FTP upload starting.
2020/11/28 10:18:45:332  Aux. FTP: FTP advice - file wasn't ready to upload - will try again shortly. Path was: /Users/mydisk/Applications/WeatherCatJPG/WeatherCatBanner.jpg
2020/11/28 10:18:55:297  Aux. FTP: Finished. Uploaded 0 bytes in 11 seconds at 0 bytes per second.

Note that in my second attachment, all other .jpg files successfully create and upload, but not the weathercatbanner.jpg.

Big Sur 11.0.1
iMac Pro 2017

Previously worked fine on the same machine running Catalina.

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 08:16:08 AM »
And this is exactly the same situation for me.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
File permissions? (Re: Bannergate)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 11:52:09 PM »
Dear ColdnFrosty, wx-watch, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Sorry, my life is an extreme case of parallel processing and this forum is on the low end of the processing priority ranking.

Hope this helps - not much else to report:

When I click on the Tools > Banner Generator I display the Banner Generator pop-up with correct current weather data. (see attachment)

The Banner Generator never actually generates the file. The log shows the following and repeats every 5 minutes as that is the timeframe I am using for updates:

2020/11/28 10:18:45:290  Aux. FTP: FTP upload starting.
2020/11/28 10:18:45:332  Aux. FTP: FTP advice - file wasn't ready to upload - will try again shortly. Path was: /Users/mydisk/Applications/WeatherCatJPG/WeatherCatBanner.jpg
2020/11/28 10:18:55:297  Aux. FTP: Finished. Uploaded 0 bytes in 11 seconds at 0 bytes per second.

Note that in my second attachment, all other .jpg files successfully create and upload, but not the weathercatbanner.jpg.
. . . . .

The path that you have for your custom web files is unusual.  Do you have a user named: mydisk?  I'm a bit puzzled that it would be trying to save the files in the Application folder for this user.  When you go to the path:

/Users/mydisk/Applications/WeatherCatJPG/

Do you find all the other files generated by WeatherCat custom web in this folder?  The banner file should end up in exactly the same folder as all the other custom web files.  In fact, there should be the last WeatherCatBanner.jpg file that was generated while running under Catalina somewhere on your hard drive.  If that file is somewhere else than:

/Users/mydisk/Applications/WeatherCatJPG/WeatherCatBanner.jpg

Then the problem has something to do with why WeatherCat has changed the saving path for WeatherCatBanner.jpg.  If these folders don't exist, it is no surprise that the banner generator no longer works.

This is a long shot I'll be the first to admit, but have you tried repairing the folder and file permissions using Disk Utility?  If there was some sort of permission issue, that might be why WeatherCat is unable to save the file.

Sorry if this isn't much more help, but do let us know what you discover.

Edouard

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 01:19:27 AM »
"mydisk" is an acronym for my drive name. Names of folders are part of the FTP definition that I have created in WeatherCat Preferences. My generated files are stored in this folders and they have been since I started using WeatherCat many years ago through multiple releases of MACOSX. The folder names are not relevant to the issue. Multiple folks here who moved from Catalina to Big Sur have the same issue - no banners are being generated and saved. I am sure the remedy will be forthcoming!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 04:48:04 AM »
The path that you have for your custom web files is unusual.
True, the default location (The Manual, p. 133 and secondarily 218) for Custom stuff is: ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/ but it is user definable so almost any location should work. :)

Of course, even using the default location won't fix the Big Sur problem. It doesn't help that all the other images (jpg and png) seem to be uploading. Are any of you Big Sur users also successfully using/creating/uploading any Custom Graphs or any of the built-in jpg images (all_dials, barometer, cloudbase, heatindex, etc., etc.) WC creates automatically? That info might help Stu know if his jpeg creation functions are working. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:32:44 AM »
All my custom stuff gets generated and uploaded apart from the Banner

https://wx-watch.co.uk - is my custom site

https://wx-watch.co.uk/weathercat/  - is the "standard" WeatherCat site

I can confirm my custom stuff is in ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
I can confirm my custom stuff is in ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/
OK, I see that both your sites use some of the 'standard' graphics. You don't appear to use any of the custom images. My hope was that we/Stu could see that his custom image creation functions were working or not. We can't really tell that since you aren't using any of the forms/frameworks that define those graphic's features. The only WC graphics creation form you are using is the Banner Generator. Only the dev knows if that image creation function is the same as the one for the Custom Gauge's/Graph's.

You may notice that the Console has two kinds of "FTP" entries: 'regular' FTP and "Aux. FTP", eg:
2020/11/27 15:06:41:077  FTP: Uploading customgauge15.png. (2 files left to upload.)
2020/11/27 15:06:41:154  FTP: Uploading custom-gauges-graphs.txt. (1 files left to upload.)
2020/11/27 15:06:41:232  FTP: Uploading station.html.
2020/11/27 15:06:41:310  CustomWeb: Finished parsing.
2020/11/27 15:06:41:388  CustomWeb: Finished processing custom web pages.
2020/11/27 15:06:42:125  Aux. FTP: FTP upload starting.
2020/11/27 15:06:42:204  Aux. FTP: Uploading Computer-Up-Time.txt.

The only things that use "Aux. FTP" (after a cursory search) are the things I list in the "Additional Files" and the WeatherCatBanner.jpg.

Are there any other instances of Aux. FTP in your Console logs?

A couple of tedious questions, if you don't mind:
1. What is the date/time on the WeatherCatBanner file in your Application directory?
2. Is there even a file by that name in ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/? I suspect there is, but it has zero bytes.

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »
I can't help re the size of the Banner file as I deleted it when I was trying to troubleshoot - it was there but has never been re-created.

I uploaded an additional file and the log is as follows

Aux. FTP: FTP upload starting.
4:43:19 PM 04-Dec-2020: Aux. FTP: FTP advice - file wasn't ready to upload - will try again shortly. Path was: /Users/MYNAME/WeatherCat/WCWebCustom/WeatherCatBanner.jpg
4:43:24 PM 04-Dec-2020: CustomWeb: Processing additional custom web file: /Users/MYNAME/Documents/MAP.jpg
4:43:27 PM 04-Dec-2020: CustomWeb: Finished parsing.
4:43:27 PM 04-Dec-2020: CustomWeb: Finished processing custom web pages.
4:43:29 PM 04-Dec-2020: Aux. FTP: Uploading MAP.jpg.
4:43:31 PM 04-Dec-2020: Aux. FTP: Finished. Uploaded 145,030 bytes in 13 seconds at 10,835 bytes per second.

The file MAP.jpg is successfully uploaded to my website.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »
it was there but has never been re-created.
I assumed you would have a zero sized WeatherCatBanner file in the ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/ directory and the one that was had been created still in the /Users/mydisk/Applications/WeatherCatJPG/ spot.

So, to be clear, there are no WeatherCatBanner.jpg files anywhere on your drive now? That seems logical, otherwise it would be uploading. And it tends to prove that your "strange" path for it is irrelevant.

I don't have a "MAP.jpg" file, don't even know how to enable/request it. [blush] Don't see any mention of it in the Manual. Perhaps it is a url set in the "Imagery" Prefs?

Just now followed some of your links and I now see that you are using several Custom Gauges. That might be a bit of helpful info for Stu. Those are png's the Banner is a jpeg, as are Custom Graphs. [coffee]

Thanks for the quick replies! [cheer]

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »
The Map was was just an additional test file I uploaded. This as you can see was uploaded successfully by Aux. FTP

There are no WeatherCatBanner.jpg files anywhere on my system. When WeatherCat failed to upload the file after I upgraded to Big Sur I deleted the file in the hope it would be re-created anew. It wasn’t.

It looks like it would be uploaded if it was created but it isn’t being created