Author Topic: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur  (Read 17032 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 10:28:29 PM »
You can use a couple of ways to tell if the extension is installed.
1. Select "System Information" from either the black Apple icon in the Menu Bar (Option-click the icon) or use the System Report... button in the "About This Mac" window.
2. Make sure "Software" item is showing its list.
3. Click the "Extensions" items.
4. Sort by Extension Name or just scroll down to the items starting with "S" and scroll until you see "SiLabsUSBDriver" and check that it is version 5.3.5 and that it "Yes" is in the Loaded column. Note. Labels may be different in Catalina or Big Sur betas.

If you've confirmed that the driver is NOT installed:
Hopefully, the downloaded .zip file is still on your drive? If not, re-download it.
Double-click the .zip file and open the disk image. In the window you will find an icon labeled "Install CP210x VCP Driver.app".
Open or double-click that app and follow the installer directions. During that process, you should see the text about allowing access your system or drives.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WxOwl

• Gentle Breeze
    • W6DSP AT649
    • KINHUNTI6
    • W6DSP Home Page
  • Station Details: Davis VP2, 24hr fars, MacMini Server-OS10.13
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 01:15:01 AM »
ColdnFrosty

I would add to XAir's excellent instructions the following:

A NO in the Extension Loaded column indicates that no application has made a call for it.

Next check that WeatherCat > Tools > Configure Station Comms has the desired settings. This is where WC is instructed to call the required driver.
Should be: 
Station Type: Davis Vantages/Pro/Pro2/Vue/Envoy
Comms Port:   /dev/cu.usbserial-000#  (Note there may be more than one of these showing, #=1,2,etc., if so try each one)

Restart WeatherCat.  Should be off and running.

David

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 09:12:29 PM »
Apple is to release Big Sur on November 12.   This will be interesting.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Driver must be approved in an hour. (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »
Dear ColdnFrosty, X-Air, David, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . . .
It appears that although I installed 5.3.5, it is not loaded. There appears to be no way to load it. The Install process describes going to System Preference > Privacy & Security > General and allowing the loading of the driver. But no such prompt displays there.
. . . . . .

Lots of useful information here.  Just in case you weren't aware of it, you must approve the installation of the driver in the Privacy & Security system preference within 1 hour of installing.  If you didn't do this, then simply uninstall the Silicon Labs driver (a tool is provided with the driver installation package) and then install the driver a second time.  Then go over to the Privacy & Security pane and you should see the driver waiting to be approved.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 09:44:51 PM »
Here is Silicon Labs statement regarding the fact that the VCP 5.3.5 driver will not function on Big Sur. 11.0.1 RC2 released today. But if you want to continue running WeatherCat, defer installing Big Sur until SiLabs releases their compatible USB driver.

Dear all,

With new version of macOS released which is macOS Big Sur 11.0.x, the latest version of our VCP driver for Macintosh OSX (v5.3.5) now becomes incompatible. The reason for this is because of new driver model change on macOS which you can find more information from links below:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-big-sur-11_0_1-release-notes
    https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions/

We currently are working to update our driver to fix this issue, although due to testing requirements, we do not expect the new version of driver to be available on our website for now. So please be up to date on our page for VCP drivers below for latest information regarding to the release of the updated VCP driver for macOS Big Sur 11.0.x:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Regards,
Nam Dang

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
I am not using the USB driver.  I have my console on the IP link and also in the other room I have their weatherlink.com thing.  I would assume that for my situation, I should be fine, with the IP link or something with the weatherlink thing.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
Re: Driver must be approved in an hour. (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »
It doesn't show up due to the incompatibility with Big Sur.

Dear ColdnFrosty, X-Air, David, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . . .
It appears that although I installed 5.3.5, it is not loaded. There appears to be no way to load it. The Install process describes going to System Preference > Privacy & Security > General and allowing the loading of the driver. But no such prompt displays there.
. . . . . .

Lots of useful information here.  Just in case you weren't aware of it, you must approve the installation of the driver in the Privacy & Security system preference within 1 hour of installing.  If you didn't do this, then simply uninstall the Silicon Labs driver (a tool is provided with the driver installation package) and then install the driver a second time.  Then go over to the Privacy & Security pane and you should see the driver waiting to be approved.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
I am not using the USB driver.  I have my console on the IP link and also in the other room I have their weatherlink.com thing.  I would assume that for my situation, I should be fine, with the IP link or something with the weatherlink thing.

As the IP data logger does not require a driver, and Stu is running WC on Big Sur using the IP link, you are correct in assuming this particular issue does not impact you. Of course, all the other Big Sur uncertainties still remain to be conquered.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
YUP tomorrow is the day, I guess...  I  will let you know how it works.  My computer is an Imac 21 inch, but with 32G RAM and Intel

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »
So, has anyone loaded Big Sur? It will not work with Weathercat, but just checking to see if any decided to give it a shot!

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 10:09:33 PM »
I haven't yet.  Was planning to let it load overnight when I won't need it.   If it won't work, then it needs to be fixed .  I am sure a lot won't work with the new system.    Have you tried it?

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 11:39:13 PM »
I tried the Release Candidate of 11.0.1. Aside from inability to communicate with the Vantage Pro 2 due to the lack of a compatible Silicon Labs driver, the only other issue was graphics related on the gauges display making the gauges unusable.

I haven't yet.  Was planning to let it load overnight when I won't need it.   If it won't work, then it needs to be fixed .  I am sure a lot won't work with the new system.    Have you tried it?

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 04:37:10 AM »
I upgraded on my iMac and the only thing with Weathercat so far is that the guages flicker a lot, almost like a strobe.  The other data works, so it is something about that.  so far I had to reinstall one printer, I have two and trying to figure out what else either works, needs fixing or is caput. Hmmm suddenly my microsodft outlook is updating, I don't use that.  Well this should be fun.

JohnDoe1983

• Gentle Breeze
    • iquebecq10
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, WMW200A, WMR86A
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 09:48:59 PM »
I have BigSur installed 2 hours ago.

I am using the Vantage Vue console which is connected to a USB port on my brand new Imac 27, there is a plastic patch connected to the back of my console with a wire to the IMAC

WC is running fine except that the big orange gauge is flicking like hell. Otherwise it run fine, my Wunderground site is receiving info too.

Some day it should be corrected.   Did not see any SIlabs info im my extension window.

jsalba@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »
can someone help me with how to actually remove the SiLab driver? I know an uninstall tool comes with the driver package but I don't know how to implement it.
I believe it requires use of the command line.

WeatherCat no longer works for me following upgrade yesterday to Mac OS Big Sur.

Thanks.  Jeff