Author Topic: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur  (Read 16774 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 11:40:35 PM »
There is a section entitled "Uninstalling the Driver" in the ReleaseNotes.txt file in the "Silicon Labs VCP Driver Install Disk". The UN-installer is basically four bash scripts that you run in Terminal.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

jsalba@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 04:17:08 PM »
Do I just copy and paste the 4 scripts into a terminal window. Terminal commands make me a little nervous.  Appreciate the help Thanks. Jeff

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
I've not used those scripts, I've always just installed the new versions of the driver.

Yes, copy one script, paste it in to Terminal. I'd copy and paste them one at a time. You should get a request for a password (the first time you issue the "sudo" command), just type in your computer password. Just note that you will NOT actually see anything when you type your password; no dots, nor any cursor movement. Just type the password and then press "Return". Then the script will do it's job; erasing the file (if it exists) in the specified location.

I usually vet any script that is offered for Terminal. I make sure the source is credible. In this case, you are trusting the makers of the driver to uninstall their own old software. It doesn't get much more credible than that. :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Simpler way to run uninstall script (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
Dear Jeff, X-Air, and WeatherCat dabblers in UNIX,

Do I just copy and paste the 4 scripts into a terminal window. Terminal commands make me a little nervous.  Appreciate the help Thanks. Jeff

There is a simpler way to run this script.  Open a Finder window into the Silicon Labs install disk and launch the terminal application.  It should give you a prompt.  At that point type the UNIX command sudo and a space.  Now go to the Finder window, select the uninstaller script icon and drag it over to your terminal window.  It should create a command like this:

Code: [Select]
Last login: Sun Nov  8 06:48:16 on console
Odysseus:~ elagache$ sudo '/Volumes/Silicon Labs VCP Driver Install Disk/uninstaller.sh'

When you press return that should ask you for your administration password and then run the Bash script at the location shown.  I didn't actually try it because I didn't want to remove my driver.  There might be some security issues what will block the execution, so let us know if this doesn't work.  There is a quick fix from that.

Let us know.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »
the flickering has resolved itself over night.  Not sure why, perhaps a 2nd download.  I have on board 11.0.1  I assume that is the right version. Unless
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2020, 07:26:00 PM »
Well, I found a solution to the Big Sur and SiLabs 5.3.5 driver issue from a couple of guys on the SiLabs community forum. It was really quite simple to implement their solution. Here are the steps.

Reboot into Recovery Mode (hold Command - R until the Apple logo displays).
Select Utilities>Terminal from the drop down menu.
In Terminal, enter the following command:   
 /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 52444FG85C
Verify with the following commands:
/usr/sbin/spctl status                      SHOULD RETURN "Kernel Extension User Consent: ENABLED"
/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list       SHOULD RETURN "Allowed Team Identifiers: 52444FG85C"

Now reboot into Big Sur and install SiLabs 5.3.5. Reconfigure Station Comms in WeatherCat and you should see the SiLabs 5.35 listed.

My experience was that comms were restored between the Mac and the Vantage Pro 2, as well as comms to various servers like Wunderground.

As pointed out by others, Banner Generation doesn't work and Gauges displays the gauges when selected from the dropdown menu, but with a persistent flashing. The flashing appears to go away, but persists in some of the needles and numerics.

jsalba@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
By golly it installed properly following the Terminal instructions which are most appreciated. WeatherCat is now communicating with my Vantage Vue console.
As advised the Weather Station Gauges page is flashing rapidly making it unreadable. Hopefully this will settle down with time.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions

Jeff

u000gbk

• Calm
    • FW7931
    • KPAWESTC108
  • Station Details: WMR200 Station
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »
I am running the Oregon Scientific WMR200 and WeatherCat runs perfectly with it under the latest update to the Catalina OS.  I am running no special drivers.  Now that the release of Big Sur OS is available, has anyone tried the OS upgrade that is running WeatherCat and what were the results?

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2020, 07:55:37 PM »
I am running the Oregon Scientific WMR200 and WeatherCat runs perfectly with it under the latest update to the Catalina OS.  I am running no special drivers.  Now that the release of Big Sur OS is available, has anyone tried the OS upgrade that is running WeatherCat and what were the results?

Dunno. Do you usually run the Silicon Labs driver for the CP210x UART?

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
Glad you are up and running! No solution to the failure of the WeatherCatBanner to generate. And, the flickering will not go away on the gauges. When you start up and the gauges appear, they won't update until you click on Gauges from the Tools drop down menu. From there they will flash and then may appear stable, but if you take a closer look you'll see that they are still not right.

By golly it installed properly following the Terminal instructions which are most appreciated. WeatherCat is now communicating with my Vantage Vue console.
As advised the Weather Station Gauges page is flashing rapidly making it unreadable. Hopefully this will settle down with time.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions

Jeff

u000gbk

• Calm
    • FW7931
    • KPAWESTC108
  • Station Details: WMR200 Station
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2020, 11:11:32 PM »
I am not aware of running any specific driver ... I simply loaded the software and plugged the WMR200 into the iMac via USB and the software found it and started working without issues.  That was under Catalina.  I have not yet tried Big Sur on that iMac.  I am waiting to hear from others on their results when using a USB connected Weather COnsole like the WMR200.

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2020, 11:34:13 PM »
Likely that will also be the case with Big Sur.

david.hechinger

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMDANNAP10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue Mac Mini 2018 w/Catalina O/S
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2020, 04:31:00 PM »
Just updated to Big Sur 11.01. WeatherCat not working with SiLabsUSBDriver 5.3.5 (updated 2/28/20). Rec'd legacy warning from Apple upon first reboot w/BigSur. Looks like we're in the wilderness for a while.....

rrsum

• Calm
    • EW0603
    • KMIMANCH11
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Envoy, WeatherCat - http://www.rick.summerhill.org/weather/
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »
Well, I found a solution to the Big Sur and SiLabs 5.3.5 driver issue from a couple of guys on the SiLabs community forum. It was really quite simple to implement their solution. Here are the steps.

/usr/sbin/spctl status                      SHOULD RETURN "Kernel Extension User Consent: ENABLED"
/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list       SHOULD RETURN "Allowed Team Identifiers: 52444FG85C"

Now reboot into Big Sur and install SiLabs 5.3.5. Reconfigure Station Comms in WeatherCat and you should see the SiLabs 5.35 listed.

First, thanks for posting this menu for installing the existing SiLabs driver.  I tried installing the driver on a laptoop (one not running Weathercat), and everything worked as you have posted.  I was reluctant to install on my production system until more experience has been posted.  Now that you have been running for a few days, is everything still working correctly?

If so it shows that Apple is simply denying such drivers for bureaucratic reaons and not for functional reasons, so it shouldn't take SiLabs too long to update.

I do have one question, however.  In your menu, you say to reconfigure station comms in Weathercat after installing the driver.  Was there any loss (or change) of data in doing that?  Also, if Weathercat is never started under Big Sur, do you know if that step necessary?  In other words, is simply restarting Weathercat enough?

Thanks again for your post.

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2020, 09:33:32 PM »
Yup - except for the previously reported issue with WeatherCatBanner and the Gauges window.

First, thanks for posting this menu for installing the existing SiLabs driver.  I tried installing the driver on a laptoop (one not running Weathercat), and everything worked as you have posted.  I was reluctant to install on my production system until more experience has been posted.  Now that you have been running for a few days, is everything still working correctly?

If so it shows that Apple is simply denying such drivers for bureaucratic reaons and not for functional reasons, so it shouldn't take SiLabs too long to update.

I do have one question, however.  In your menu, you say to reconfigure station comms in Weathercat after installing the driver.  Was there any loss (or change) of data in doing that?  Also, if Weathercat is never started under Big Sur, do you know if that step necessary?  In other words, is simply restarting Weathercat enough?

Thanks again for your post.