Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Released  (Read 18818 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Released
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1028.msg8930#msg8930

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1016.msg8934#msg8934

Hello hanspost,
maybe your problem is the one described in the above posts. If so, do the following:
Quit WeatherCat > go to WeatherCat in your applications folder > right click (or ctrl-click) the WeatherCat program icon > Get Info > tick App Nap deactivate > restart WeatherCat. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 10:08:50 AM »
Yes,
I've seen those topics, but it doesn't work for me.
I've created a new map on my server, just in case, but this also doesn't solve it.
Manually upload with FTP no problem, but from WeatherCat it just doesn't work.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Probably a problem with your web host. (Re: WeatherCat 1.2.3)
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Dear hanspost and WeatherCat fans,

I've removed the file, rebooted my mac and then filled in all the preferences again.
Still FTP is not working. When I setup my FTP details and push "test" I get a FTP error after a few minutes (screenshot attached).
When I look in my WeatherCat Log file I can see that the proces op FTP uploading is starting (screenshot attached).

The error that you are getting in the WeatherCat test dialog is that your web host isn't responding.  If indeed you have entered the settings correctly, then the problem is that your web hosting provider is unable to provide you with good enough quality service.  There is nothing that WeatherCat can do if the FTP server doesn't respond in a timely manner.

Your second screenshot suggests that some files are getting processed, but that the rate of uploads is slower than WeatherCat requires to update your weather website in a timely fashion.  Once more you need to check into why your web hosting provider isn't able to accept the files quickly enough.  It could be the case that your Internet connection is too slow, otherwise I think you need to contact whoever has provided you with web hosting space.

Do I have to leave this topic and create another one? I'm not sure if the topic mentioned before is exactly my problem.

I don't think there is much more the forum can do for you.  The problem doesn't have anything to do with WeatherCat at least as you have described it.  If you learn of something new that we can help you with, then yes the correct thing to do is to create a new thread in this topic:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=13.0

Hope you can indeed find out what the problem is and getting your web pages uploading reliably.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think that the hosting is the problem. Manual FTP with Filezilla goes very quick and smoothly. I have a 150 mb connection and 10 mb upload, so that can't be the problem either.
I've also tried to upload to another website at another hosting company, but again exactly the same problem!

The log files show that some file are processed, but not 1 file reaches the other site.

This is driving me nuts!
I am thinking about a complete clean installation of Weathercat. I hope that I can find an description of how to do that on the support forum. Another option is to go back to version 1.2.1 and see if the problem is solved, but I don't know if that's possible.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
PASV FTP setting? (Re: WeatherCat Version 1.2.3)
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
Dear Hanspost and WeatherCat fans,

I don't think that the hosting is the problem. Manual FTP with Filezilla goes very quick and smoothly. I have a 150 mb connection and 10 mb upload, so that can't be the problem either.
I've also tried to upload to another website at another hosting company, but again exactly the same problem!

Well, that your FTP client can work with these services doesn't mean that WeatherCat can work with them.

I just remembered a problem that people have had with trying to upload using WeatherCat.  There are two versions of the FTP protocol: active and passive.  There is a nice description of the difference here:

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

I don't remember for sure, but I thought WeatherCat used only passive FTP.  We would need Stuart Ball (the WeatherCat developer) to confirm one way or the other.

If the services that you are using don't support the version of FTP that WeatherCat uses, that would produce exactly the symptoms you describe.

You should be able to adjust the settings of your FTP client to be able to determine which FTP version it is using.  If you can confirm that your web hosting provider doesn't support the version of FTP that WeatherCat uses, perhaps you can find out why from them.

This is driving me nuts!
I am thinking about a complete clean installation of Weathercat. I hope that I can find an description of how to do that on the support forum. Another option is to go back to version 1.2.1 and see if the problem is solved, but I don't know if that's possible.

You could try downgrading, but I suspect you won't see any difference.  As Stu reported the FTP code hasn't changed since probably the initial release.

I also think that doing a clean install would be a complete waste of time.  You wouldn't be changing anything.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help, but I suspect your real problem is a change in the FTP protocol perhaps driven by recent security concerns.

Hope this information will help you troubleshoot the problem.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »
Before you do a clean install, I would recommend trying 'repair disk permissions' through Disk Utilities. I've seen that fix strange problems in the past, and it's a 2 minute thing.

Worth a try.

Jos

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Hello Hanspost,

From the log you posted (http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=976.msg8945#msg8945) it looks as if the files are uploading with no errors. If you're using CPanel on your FTP server end, the files will be uploaded to the directory specified for that FTP user by default. If that's the case then you only need the top level of the FTP URL to upload - i.e., ftp://myserver.com - the FTP server will direct the uploads to the correct directory for that FTP user. Check in the FTP user directory if that's the case.

With regards to FTP modes, WeatherCat uses PASV transfer mode to avoid problems with firewalls - this appears to be working fine from your log.

One other possibility is auto lockout on your FTP server end if it's seeing you as a DOS attack (too frequent upload rate).

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »
Yep, I even managed to lock myself out.

After a recent hack I changed FTP password but forgot to change WeatherCat. So it merrily tried to login with wrong password, over and over and over and over and ov...well you get the idea. My security software saw that as bogus login attempt and simply blocked my IP address.

Had to use iPhone and its IP address through LGE to let myself back in.

In my case the block was set up as a CRON job, so if you have access to CRON through Apple's Terminal app you can see if that's your problem (assuming they do it the same way as my host.)

But whoever said it earlier was right: All this has nothing to do with the 1.23 release and the thread really should be carried on elsewhere. It's kinda like the folks that give an Amazon product a one star rating because the post office delivered it slow. Has nothing to do with the product.
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
Hi Hanspost
 Yeah passwords can be something else at times  I just changes IPS and now going to all my services to change email addresses and passwords aren't fun glad you got it sorted

cheers

[cheers1]

schwab

• Gentle Breeze
Problems dropping connections since WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Installed
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »
My WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Build 16 (1.2.3) is running on OSX Mavericks 10.9

The new version has decreased the CPU time

However, since upgrading I have a new problem

Weathercat is regularly losing its connection to my home network.

Previous versions never lost their connection with my home network

Thanks for any suggestions....

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Try disabling AppNap. (Re: Problems dropping connections)
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Dear schwab and WeatherCat fans,

My WeatherCat Version 1.2.3 Build 16 (1.2.3) is running on OSX Mavericks 10.9

The new version has decreased the CPU time

However, since upgrading I have a new problem

Weathercat is regularly losing its connection to my home network.

Previous versions never lost their connection with my home network

Thanks for any suggestions....

I'll bet you it is related to this new feature of Mavericks: AppNap.  WeatherCat doesn't work very well when it's processing time is reduced.  Try switching off AppNap.  According to Stu, AppNap can be switched off by getting info. on WeatherCat in the Finder and ticking the 'Disable AppNap' checkbox.

You can read more about this here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1028.msg8930#msg8930

schwab

• Gentle Breeze
Enabling "Prevent AppNap" Did Not Resolve The Dropped Connection
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
Enabling Weathercat's (Version 1.2.3 Build 16) "Prevent AppNap" in 10.9 (13A603) Mavericks did not resolve the Dropping Connection Problem

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
Hi scwab,
Can you expand on 'losing connection to my home network' a little please - I don't quite understand what your seeing.

There haven't been any changes apart from fixing the heavy processing issue on 10.9, which wasn't related to any networking code. Did you change anything else on the machine at the same time - OS upgrade etc.

hanspost

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
I will open an new topic for my problems, because it hasn't been solved yet. Today I tried my 3rd hosting company and again the same problems: time out while testing the url. I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with my hosting providers. That leaves 2 possibilities: WeatherCat or my local iMac. I will focus on that. In the meanwhile I want to make sure that it is not caused by the current version of weathercat. Wheren can I download 1.2.1? That was my last stable version.

schwab

• Gentle Breeze
May also require "Prevent AppNap" for any VPN/Remote Access Program
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
Since also checking "Prevent AppNap" for my VPN Remote Access Program my WeatherCat 1.2.3 Build 16 seems to now have a solid long-term connection.

Enabling Weathercat's (Version 1.2.3 Build 16) "Prevent AppNap" in 10.9 (13A603) Mavericks did not resolve the Dropping Connection Problem