Author Topic: Refurbished Weather Website  (Read 3846 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.5
Refurbished Weather Website
« on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
Hi all,

take a look at my refurbished weather website. You can arrive it via a click on the weather banner. The new font face of iOS7 took me to this design.  ::) I never thought that Helvetica New will look so smart ... and so unreadable if the screen isn't good enough or the font is too small.  ;) Especially the Live Gauges are fully integrated into the design to fit well to the other sites.  8)
(Sorry, no template available, it is all handcoded with TextWrangler.)

Cheers,
Reinhard
 :)
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Refurbished Weather Website
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Wow Reinhard, that looks really nice! Very clean and crisp looking.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Cool but not as easy to read. (Re: Refurbished Weather Website)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »
Hi Reinhard, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

take a look at my refurbished weather website. You can arrive it via a click on the weather banner. The new font face of iOS7 took me to this design.  ::) I never thought that Helvetica New will look so smart ... and so unreadable if the screen isn't good enough or the font is too small.  ;)

I certainly agree that your new site as a sleek look, but you are definitely decreasing the readability with a sans-serif font.  My mother is slowly going blind due to macular degeneration and is finding it increasingly difficult to read things on the web even with tools to improve the visibility of text such as the Readability browser add-on:

http://www.readability.com/

So you'all might want to keep that in mind as well when coming up with web site designs.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.5
Re: Cool but not as easy to read. (Re: Refurbished Weather Website)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »
but you are definitely decreasing the readability with a sans-serif font
Edouard,
agree fully (and noticed it in my post "unreadable")    ... but: What shall I do, I like it so much and "I" can read it.  ;)
 ;D
Cheers,
Reinhard

Update: On the other side: nothing unreadable that I noticed...  ::)
Reinhard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »
Hi Reinhard
 Web site looks great
And as long as your happy with that's what counts  [cheer] [woohoo]

cheers
 [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
Hi reinhard

The site looks great ! Only unreadable page for me is the weather cam page as it's using a blue font and currently the sky is blue, apart from that it is excellent  [cheers1]

JC

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
Reinhard:

Photos are stunning and I really like your graphs. Very readable. Steel gauges look great.

Only unreadable page for me is the weather cam page as it's using a blue font and currently the sky is blue, apart from that it is excellent

Blue text on blue sky is hard for me to read too.

Very nice site improvements!
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »
Thanks folks for your comments - much appreciated!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
I experimented a bit with the color on my webcam picture (black, grey) and found out, it wasn't the color, it was the too small font face. I think it is a bit better now. Additionally I told my script to change the color in the nighttime to light grey, from during the daylight used dark blue. I will test this setting some days to see if it belongs to my expectations. (By the way, you can expand the picture by clicking on it..., but I know you all already know this.  ;) )

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I think it is a bit better now.

I agree! I like this much better. Easier to read.
Blick