Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 132905 times)

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »
Hi Edouard:

It sounds like things are finally looking up for you.
I hope this continues and you are finally starting to feel a bit better.

Rest and get well....

Rich

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat faithful,

It sounds like things are finally looking up for you.
I hope this continues and you are finally starting to feel a bit better.

Thanks for the kind words.  It will take a while though.  As expected, the nose has started to swell, and while it is part of the natural healing process, the effect is to constrict the nostrils once more.  I'm back on the wound-care regime, but can you believe it?  Cold packs on the outside of the nose are not all that effective at reducing the swelling on the inside!

Par for the course! . . . . . . .

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2022, 10:39:50 PM »
Try eating some really cold (hand-packed) ice cream. Keep it up in the front, roof area of your mouth. Delicious and nostril-cooling!! 😳 😋 🥶
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Time to wait and see! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

The stitches from the August 9th surgery on my nose came out a week ago Wednesday.  The doctor was very pleased at how the surgery turned out.  The skin finally looks healthy everywhere and the scabbing from the suture lines are coming off as they should.  What's ahead is a long period of healing and watching.  At the moment, the nose still looks like a cross between Pinocchio and Rudolf the red nosed reindeer.  The only difference is that Rudolf apparently forgot to pay his electric bill.  Instead of being red, my nose has taken back a normal flesh color.  However according to the doctor,  it takes months for the skin to slim down after the fat has been removed.  He doesn't even want to see me for 3-4 months!

He is the expert, so I'll follow the program.  I'm continuing to baby the skin in the hope that will expedite the healing process.  In the meantime, I'm back to the "regularly scheduled" Mohs surgeries to remove the leftover basal cell tumors that have cropped up while the nose was being reconstructed.  However compared to reconstruction surgeries, this is small potatoes.  It is time to try to get back to a more normal life - just in time for the California wildfire season!

Always something isn't there!

Thanks for your support!
Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #379 on: August 27, 2022, 04:59:11 PM »
All good news. So grateful for medical technology and providers that learn their craft. Not so grateful for wildfire season.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Next surgery - December 16th. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #380 on: November 19, 2022, 10:08:04 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

Sorry for not keeping everyone up to date on my situation, but I have been in something of a limbo health-wise until enough time had passed since the surgery of early August.  It hasn't been an easy time.  I just cannot get enough air through my nose at this point and have to constantly irrigate it with saline throughout the day.  I finally met with the plastic/reconstructive surgeon to review the healing since August.  I was very afraid that he would propose that there was nothing more he could do.  Thankfully, he was just the opposite and agreed with me that something needs to be done to further thin the skin graft so I can breathe better.

Adding to my misery is some substantial scar tissue in the undamaged nostril.  Between the two, I have very little airflow.  I had tentatively scheduled an independent operation to remove that scar tissue.  However, the plastic/reconstructive surgeon thinks he can work on both nostrils in one operation to spare me a second surgery.

It will be something of a race to complete this operation before Christmas, but the surgery is now scheduled for the afternoon of Friday, December 16th.  It will be clearly a tough time to be healing from another operation, but it will be better than struggling to breath all the time.

Thanks for all your support!  As you can see the process is continuing to unfold!

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2022, 03:56:01 PM »
I think we know what you want for Christmas!! [lol]
The human body is a marvelous thing! Even when it is intentionally damaged, it can still heal. Unfortunately, we have very little control over the speed! Enjoy Thanksgiving! That may be easier than Christmas!! You are still in my prayers.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #382 on: November 20, 2022, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks X-Air,

I think we know what you want for Christmas!! [lol]

Well, perhaps instead we all should pray and hope for the Second Coming.  This worn out world is having an increasingly hard time healing.  Surely it is time for: Creation 2.0.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2022, 12:38:02 AM »
pray and hope for the Second Coming.
That's fine by me! ThU5:-)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
After-market wiper woes. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2022, 11:23:04 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of a certain rascally wagon,

I finally have some news about my trusty wagon.  I normally take her in to Orinda Classic Car Center over the summer so that they can give her the once over.  With all the troubles I've been having that didn't happen until early November.  Here is a photo of her headed to the service bay:

Aside from the usual quirks of a classic car, she checked fine - but . . . . . . . . . .

We had a threat of rain for the day she was supposed to head over so I did my duty to winterize the wipers - Oops!  No wipers - absolutely dead.  Fortunately, I was able to dodge the drops and since she was over there I asked the crew at Orinda Classic Car if the could investigate.  Back in 2013, I had upgraded Biquette to an after-market interval wiper system.  I thought there was little choice but to replace this system but the plot soon thickened.

The mechanics immediately recognized the wiper motor to be similar to one used on GM trucks in the 1980s.  As it turns out, those motors have a logic circuit that were notorious for failing even immediately after the factory.  Give the gang credit, they hunted around and narrowed it down to the exact model of wiper motor.  They were able to then purchase a replacement locally.

Since they had confirmed that the motor itself was working fine, they tried to simply swap the logic board.  Well that - sort of - worked.  All the functionality was back.  However, instead of parking the wipers against the cowling, the wipers are being parked on the left-hand side!  A little more detective work revealed the problem.  While the circuit board was clearly based on the original GM model, the vendor custom soldered a few modifications to the stock board.  Those tweaks to the electronics appear to have changed the parking position so that it would work with classic cars like my wagon.

There weren't any easy choices so I took Biquette home with her wipers parked on the left:

I contacted the vendor to see if they might have some old motors laying around, but after 10 years the answer was no.  So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest version of this after-market wiper system:

I had been planning to do this for a long time actually.  This newer model adds a built-in washer which obviously is a real plus.  The trouble is that I will have to once more create the customizing adapter so that the wiper switch fits into the 1965 Buick A-Body dash.  This was a real pain back in 2013.  So much so that I had forgotten how I did it! 

Obviously i can't take on this project for a while.  So until I can, my poor wagon will be stuck with wiper parked in the wrong position!

Life is tough even for classic cars these days!

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #385 on: November 23, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »
Into each life some rain must fall! Hopefully, you won't be in Biquette when that happens!

Will you have to get a California DMV approval to have water in the wiper system?! [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #386 on: November 28, 2022, 10:22:15 PM »
Thanks for the updates on both the nose and the car. You need to take care of both and we wish all the best! Hope you are breathing better into the new year.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
First outing since the deluge! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2023, 10:26:44 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of a certain rascally wagon,

The roads have finally dried out enough that I felt comfortable to get my trusty wagon back out once more.  Biquette and I performed 2 quick errands in a nearby town and on the way back I took this photo in a historic collection of buildings:

After all the rain, it was nice to drive on what was almost a sunny day!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2023, 10:28:59 PM »
Was this photo staged or do you always drive with your windscreen wipers in the upright, "saluting" position?
 ;D
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Embarrassing, . . . . isn't it? (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2023, 10:43:14 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat caregivers of more than weather stations,

Was this photo staged or do you always drive with your windscreen wipers in the upright, "saluting" position?
 ;D

Alas, wiper motor is still stuck parking the wipers in the wrong position:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=392.msg33349#msg33349

I'm not sure when I can get around to fixing it.  In the meantime, the engine still needs to be run so . . . . . . . . . . .

Biquette ends up being driven with her wipers in an embarrassing position.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard