Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 132904 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2022, 10:11:54 PM »
Thanks X-Air and belated thanks Blick for your prayers and support,

Definitely have to take things one day at a time.

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #361 on: June 16, 2022, 04:43:39 PM »
Thanks for continuing to let us know how things are progressing. And they are, so stay patient.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #362 on: June 16, 2022, 08:36:17 PM »
I hope you are getting better.  I do appreciate everything you do for us.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Waiting on biopsy report. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #363 on: June 16, 2022, 11:56:40 PM »
Thanks Blick and Weatheraardvark for your thoughtful support!

I saw the surgeon yesterday and he was happy with how the nose was healing.  However, he still didn't have the biopsy report to determine if he had indeed removed all the cancer or another surgery is needed to remove the rest.  So I'm in limbo waiting for those results.

Nonetheless, I'm extremely thankful that this surgeon was so versatile that he could change the entire surgical plan less than an hour before starting.  UCSF has a reputation for being the best in the San Francisco Bay Area.  After a very rough start to these skin cancer treatments, I'm extremely grateful to be now getting this level of care!

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Biopsy report had good news! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2022, 11:22:21 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

For whatever reason, it took the lab a while to complete the biopsy analysis.  Thankfully, it is good news.  The surgeon was able to completely remove all the cancer and my nose should now be able to heal normally.  There will be one more surgery in about two months to thin the skin graft as had been intended for this past surgery.  That should resolve the remaining breathing problems and get my nose to about as normal a shape as is probably practical.

Back to a more normal life until then!

Thanks for your support!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2022, 12:52:35 AM »
Great news!! It is quite frustrating when I have to hide in the house while waiting for my nose to recover after getting all “bent out of shape”!! [rolleyes2] cmu:-) >:(
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks . . . (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #366 on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:19 PM »
Thanks X-Air for the encouraging words,

Great news!! It is quite frustrating when I have to hide in the house while waiting for my nose to recover after getting all “bent out of shape”!! [rolleyes2] cmu:-) >:(

Honestly, looking in the mirror continues to be a disappointing sight.  However in the broad scheme of things, it is the functional aspects of a nose that remain most pressing.  We are starting the summertime low humidities here in California and that is causing my nose to dry out and become plugged with mucus.  We now have 3 humidifiers going in the house and I need all of them for me to be reasonably comfortable.

Too bad we cannot exchange humidities from east and west.  That would make everyone a lot more comfortable!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Thanks . . . (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2022, 02:31:13 PM »
Too bad we cannot exchange humidities from east and west.  That would make everyone a lot more comfortable!

Having just returned from a trip through parts of Pennsylvania and New York, I agree with this.

Sure glad to get the good news on your biopsy.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Thanks . . . (Re: Assertive billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2022, 03:33:54 PM »

Having just returned from a trip through parts of Pennsylvania and New York

And you didn't stop to say "Hi"  [cheers1]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #369 on: June 29, 2022, 08:55:36 PM »
I wanted to! Next time.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Reconstructive surgery #5 next Tuesday. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2022, 10:57:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat community,

In principle, my next surgery wasn't very high in the pecking order of facial reconstructive surgery needs.  So while the earliest it could happen was in early August, I expected to be waiting in line for more urgent cases to be taken care of first.  So it was quite a surprise when I checked in with UCSF facial plastics and found they had an opening almost exactly 2 months after the last surgery: Tuesday, August 9th.

It has not been an easy summer because at just about the time I was planning on getting the shingles vaccine - instead I got the darn disease.  While it was a moderate case, I did have to cope with a bit of postherpetic neuralgia.  I'm now in the rush to get ready for the next surgery.  It is suppose to accomplish the goals intended for the June surgery: thin the skin graph so it looks like a normal nose, and in that process, realign the cartilage so that both nostrils flow normally.

It is hard not to have mixed-feelings about this procedure.  On the one hand, I'm really tired of all these surgeries.  On the other hand, I don't look or feel normal.  It seems like a mighty tall order to put things right in one surgery.  All I can do is prepare as best I can and hope for the best!

Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I can breathe once more! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2022, 09:54:02 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

It isn't a happy thought, but these surgeries are becoming something of a routine.  Issues of anesthesia have been straightened out so I can home the afternoon of the surgery.  There were no surprises in this surgery, so the "debulking" was accomplished as a planned.  The doctor finally explained exactly what "debulking" was.  The skin on the forehead had some fat not present in the skin of a nose.  The surgery was remove that fat allowing the skin thin down to the shape of a normal nose.

Also, on the agenda was to straighten out the graft on nose which was twisted to the right and too far down.  All this was hoped to realign the cartilage so that both nostrils could flow more normally.  To my delight, the realignment appears to have been on the mark.  I immediately noticed a dramatic improvement when breathing through my nose. While I'm still struggling with some congestion, I can control it with much less effort - a very good thing!

The unfortunate downside is that all this adjusting involved pulling and twisting the skin - something like pulling fabric around to reupholster a seat.  So my whole face is stressed and the nose is once more swollen.  It will take a few weeks for all of this to calm down.

Not surprisingly, this pulling and twisting required strong stitches that will have to be removed next week.  After that I expect the doctor will want to wait at least a month to see how the nose heals from this surgery.

Still as hoped, this surgery was a significant step in the right direction.  With a little luck, perhaps it will be the last surgery needed.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2022, 10:42:59 PM »
Sounds like the doctors plans are coming together! [cheer] We all know you've been a very patient patient! So that light at the end of the tunnel is just the exit and not a train?! ThU5:-) Thanks for sharing the good news!! ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #373 on: August 11, 2022, 02:35:23 AM »
Thanks for allowing yourself to be vulnerable by keeping us in the loop with all of this. We are so pleased to hear things went as well as they did this week. Keep praying, and don't fall down on your face!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks guys! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #374 on: August 11, 2022, 11:23:46 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Thanks for the encouragement and prayers!

It has been back on the caregiver's marathon since Tuesday afternoon.  I've been rushing about trying to catch up on all those things only I can do.  It is hard even to find time to apply cold-packs.

. . . . don't fall down on your face!

Uh yes, I am following this sage advice!  However, there are issues that are unavoidable like tossing and turning in bed.  Since I have a lot of numbness in the skin graft, there is a risk of doing some real harm.  Fortunately, our bodies have enough awareness to keep from smashing our noses against the pillow while sleeping!  Definitely a welcome feature!

Thanks again,
Edouard