Author Topic: Are plug-ins still supported (Windy.com integration)  (Read 953 times)

jsharpe

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOMTCRE2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Are plug-ins still supported (Windy.com integration)
« on: October 23, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »
I just created a Weathercat plugin as described in the sdk document which uploads the weather data directly to Windy.com.  Unfortunately the description in that document on how to deploy the resulting bundle file so that the Weathercat application reads it on startup doesn’t seem to match my installation.  Specifically I had no “WeatherCatPlugIns” folder in the same location as the application.  And when I created one and put the bundle file there nothing shows up in the application.  Furthermore I can’t find files matching any of the other functions listed at the bottom of the “Tools” menu.  This is making me wonder if the SDK document I have is out of date and whether plugins are even still supported. Could someone please point me to how I can deploy my plugin, or any other way to get direct Windy.com connectivity (as opposed to via CWOP)?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear jsharpe and WeatherCat tinkerers,

I just created a Weathercat plugin as described in the sdk document which uploads the weather data directly to Windy.com. 

Thank you very much for your effort!  Creating WeatherCat plugins was something I always wanted to learn how to do, but never managed to find the time to do it.

Unfortunately the description in that document on how to deploy the resulting bundle file so that the Weathercat application reads it on startup doesn’t seem to match my installation.  Specifically I had no “WeatherCatPlugIns” folder in the same location as the application.  And when I created one and put the bundle file there nothing shows up in the application.  Furthermore I can’t find files matching any of the other functions listed at the bottom of the “Tools” menu.  This is making me wonder if the SDK document I have is out of date and whether plugins are even still supported. Could someone please point me to how I can deploy my plugin, or any other way to get direct Windy.com connectivity (as opposed to via CWOP)?

Unfortunately, the only person who would be qualified to help is WeatherCat developer Stuart Ball.  Your best bet is to contact WeatherCat technical support.  The contact info is on this web page:

https://trixology.com/contact-us/

Unfortunately, Stu has been overwhelmed by his day job for what is now years.  You will have to be patient in waiting for a reply.

Thanks again for your efforts nonetheless.

Edouard

jsharpe

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOMTCRE2
Re: Are plug-ins still supported (Windy.com integration)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 09:31:05 PM »
Hi Edouard,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Since I had also reached out to support at the same time as posting here I now know not to expect something soon.

FYI, Although I use many other languages, I've not done much with objective-c.  However, using chatGPT4 to modify the example plugin included in the Weathercat SDK distribution is crazy easy!  I basically asked it to modify the application to instead of generating the text file, upload the Weather values to Windy.com and gave it a link to the Windy.com upload instructions.  A few tweaks later and it was ready to try.  Unfortunately I don't know how to actually install the plugin for the current version of Weathercat.

iccb

• Gentle Breeze
    • S??tilanne Eurassa
  • Station Details: Mac Mini (late 2018), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 06:59:21 AM »
Hi!

I have asked via email this sdk packet for download about a month a go, but newer received any reply.
Where did you download this sdk pack?

jsharpe

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOMTCRE2
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 04:47:23 PM »

iccb

• Gentle Breeze
    • S??tilanne Eurassa
  • Station Details: Mac Mini (late 2018), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 10:26:07 AM »
Hey,
Thank's for pointing out to the download link! I couldn't find it when looked over trixology website.

jsharpe

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOMTCRE2
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 05:49:32 PM »
If you can figure out how to get the current version WeatherCat to actually use a plugin please let me know what the trick is