Author Topic: Lost Contact With External Sensors  (Read 951 times)

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 Plus and a Mac Mini M2
Lost Contact With External Sensors
« on: January 27, 2023, 06:58:31 AM »
I have a Vantage Pro 2 connected to WeatherCat via a Davis USB Data logger.

This morning I woke to an admin email saying contact with the ISS had been lost.

This was confirmed on the console.

Interestingly I run Cumulus MX connected to the same ISS but via a Davis WLL and this was reporting no problem and was still able to connect to the ISS.

I rebooted the MAC with no effect.

Then I disconnected the console from the power supply and removed the batteries.

When reconnected and batteries replaced normal server was resumed and all is functioning normally.

Is this "just one of those things" or a sign the console is becoming faulty.

I know there is a beta driver for the WLL and just wondering if I should switch to that?

MitchM

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW8540
  • Station Details: Davis WLL, UV, Solar, Wind, Air Quality (x2), M1 MacOS 13.0.1, Central Alberta
Re: Lost Contact With External Sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 11:36:52 AM »
I recently had a similar problem. I would first lose contact with the Davis console, then an hour or so later with the WLL.
My issue seemed to be temperature related. The problem would start at temperatures below -20c/-4f, but would intermittently correct itself even with temperatures down to -38c/-36f. At temperatures above -20c I don't have any problems but I thought it was odd that I would receive data at the WLL but not at the console.
Davis has sent me a replacement transmitter under warranty that I'll be installing today. We might have some colder temperatures next week so maybe I can see if the problem has been corrected.

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 04:53:27 PM »
Ok - gets stranger - the console is displaying all the data - there are no comms errors and the quality is reported at 100% but WC is "straightlining" some graph data!

No idea what's happening!

Still no problems with data via the WLL when read by Cumulus MX

Not sure if its related but I updated to the latest version of Ventura yesterday.

https://wx-watch.co.uk

I have just installed the beta version that supports WLL - This will let me know if its a sensor problem or a console problem I hope!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Condition of ISS? (Re: Lost Contact With External Sensors)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 10:39:19 PM »
Dear wx-watch, MitchM, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I have a Vantage Pro 2 connected to WeatherCat via a Davis USB Data logger.

This morning I woke to an admin email saying contact with the ISS had been lost.

This was confirmed on the console.
. . . .

Normally, the error you observed is caused by a problem at the ISS rather than at your console.  I know it is winter and this may not be easy, but did you look at your ISS at all?  One straightforward explanation is that the battery in your ISS is getting low and overnight the low temperatures cause the voltage to be insufficient to power the ISS.

If it is at all practical, take a look at your ISS and let us know.

Edouard

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 05:11:54 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

My ISS is on the roof of my house and the weather in the UK is below freezing at the moment. I will certainly look at the ISS when it is safe to do so although I did replace the battery about four months ago.

Overnight the data (via the WLL) has not been interrupted and the console is not showing a problem either.

I have got a small check set up - https://wx-watch.co.uk/battery.txt

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wishing you good luck with this. (Re: Lost Contact With External Sensors)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 09:28:29 PM »
Dear wx-watch and WeatherCat station caregivers,

My ISS is on the roof of my house and the weather in the UK is below freezing at the moment. I will certainly look at the ISS when it is safe to do so although I did replace the battery about four months ago.

Overnight the data (via the WLL) has not been interrupted and the console is not showing a problem either.

Okay, I understand your situation.  You certainly did the right thing by replacing the battery in the ISS when the weather conditions were more favorable.

At this point, indeed all you can do is monitor the situation.  Hopefully the problem won't arise again.

Edouard

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
Could this be the problem? (Re: Lost Contact With External Sensors)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 06:32:29 AM »
I recently got one of these

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/uk-map2

It displays rain (or wind or snow or cloud) via bright LEDs on a map of the UK. It is quite cool!!

I just realised my problems started when it arrived.

I set the Rain Tracker up in close proximity to my Davis console. The WLL live is the other side of the room.

Could the LEDs interfere with communication between the ISS and the console? Since switching to the WLL I have had no problems.

The plan is to leave WeatherCat connected via the WLL for a week or so to make sure the problem doesn't reappear. If not I will then connect via the console again with the Rain Tracker in the same place. If/when I get errors again I will turn off the Rain Tracker and see.

I know LEDs can interfere but how likely is it this is my problem???

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Would need to be a radio signal conflict. (Re: Could this be the problem?)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 10:31:50 PM »
Dear wx-watch and WeatherCat users who like cool weather gadgets,

https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/uk-map2

It displays rain (or wind or snow or cloud) via bright LEDs on a map of the UK. It is quite cool!!

I just realised my problems started when it arrived.

I set the Rain Tracker up in close proximity to my Davis console. The WLL live is the other side of the room.

Could the LEDs interfere with communication between the ISS and the console? Since switching to the WLL I have had no problems.

Well yes, the Rain Tracker could be the problem, but the LED display by itself couldn't be the problem.  LEDs emit light while the ISS and console communicate in radio frequencies.  However, all electronics can emit interference in radio frequencies.  It is possible that the Rain Tracker is producing some sort of radio frequency interference that was sufficient to cause your console to lose contact with the ISS; particularly if the two devices were very close together.

It sounds like you have a plan to see if that could be the problem.  Indeed you might have to relocate your Rain Tracker further away and see if that clears up the issue.

Let us know what you discover.

Edouard

wx-watch

• Strong Breeze
    • ISPALDIN8
    • Wx Watch
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 01:51:59 PM »
Ok - so since switching the feed from the USB data logger to the WLL there have been no problems.

So I am now going to switch back to the logger and move the Rain Tracker display back near the console again and we shall see!