Author Topic: Custom Text Window  (Read 684 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Custom Text Window
« on: December 06, 2022, 06:58:41 PM »
Don't Do What I Did

I was dragging a screenshot across from my main monitor to my second monitor and accidentally let go of it on top of a Custom Text Window. This resulted in a permanent addition to my Custom Text Window. I was unable to fund a away to undo, delete, erase, or otherwise dispose of the new item on my window. Therefore, I had to recreate the window, which takes more time when your window is full of STAT$ tags.

I must be getting old because I am a lot dumber than I used to be.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
It is an option on right-click. (Re: Custom Text Window)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 12:34:40 AM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat fans of customization,

I was dragging a screenshot across from my main monitor to my second monitor and accidentally let go of it on top of a Custom Text Window. This resulted in a permanent addition to my Custom Text Window. I was unable to fund a away to undo, delete, erase, or otherwise dispose of the new item on my window.
. . . .

The way to remove an item on your Custom Text Window is a bit counter-intuitive.  Click on the item and then use the contextual menu (right-click.)  The top item on that menu is delete this item.

I found it by just messing around with these menus, but Stu had been very thorough.  You'll find the instructions on how to delete an item on page 45 of the current WeatherCat manual.

I must be getting old because I am a lot dumber than I used to be.

Perhaps instead you are simply discovering how complex and capable WeatherCat really turns out to be.   I'm still learning new things about it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: Custom Text Window
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 03:22:26 AM »
Next time you might discover that command-Z might work. 🤔 But in the moment of the mistake our mind only thinks of all the work ahead!!!! [banghead] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another reason to be careful. (Re: Custom Text Window)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 10:42:27 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air and WeatherCat users of Custom Text Windows,

I had another puzzling mishap happen to my WeatherCat installation while I was double-checking my instructions in my previous posting on this thread.  Mysteriously, the current temperature and 1-hour delta stopped updating on my House Cooling Status Custom Text Window.  Upon investigating, I found that the STAT$ tags has been replaced by their actual values during my manipulations.  I was also forced to redo the STAT$ tag formatting to get this information displayed once more.

The two events suggest that it would be really nice if you could lock Custom Text Windows somehow once you have edited them to your satisfactions.  I've gone ahead and put in a feature request:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3485.0

I have no idea when Stu could find the time to do this sort of thing, but at least the suggestion has been recorded so it doesn't get forgotten.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:06:31 PM »
Quote from: Edouard
lock Custom Text Windows
Maybe something like an "Edit" button? If you want to change/edit what's in the window, you must click the "Edit" button first. Of course, it would be nice if the button would disappear and be replaced by a "Cancel"/"Revert" and a "Save" button.

Naturally, if you tried to simply close the window (without clicking either button), you'd get a dialog asking if you really want to ignore or save your changes. No problem! Programming is just typing, ya know. cmu:-) He won't need to do any testing of the new code, either; we'll do that for him! [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: It is an option on right-click. (Re: Custom Text Window)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 01:05:03 AM »

The way to remove an item on your Custom Text Window is a bit counter-intuitive.  Click on the item and then use the contextual menu (right-click.)  The top item on that menu is delete this item.

I found it by just messing around with these menus, but Stu had been very thorough.  You'll find the instructions on how to delete an item on page 45 of the current WeatherCat manual.

Yes! I also discovered this, by accident, after I had already rebuilt the text window from scratch.  [banghead]
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 01:19:58 AM »
“Counter intuitive”?! Everyone knows that “right-click” is the only logical way to use a mouse!!!!  cmu:-)