Author Topic: Wunderground webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021  (Read 1791 times)

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021

Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
They discontinued my webcam uploads 76 days ago. WU continues to shed all the stuff that made it the best Internet weather site, and, thus, shuffles along its long terminal decline.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear ColdnFrosty, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
. . . . .

Thanks for posting the text for us.  That sadly says it all.  However, for those who want to read the official announcement on the Weather Underground site, here is the link:

https://support.weather.com/s/article/Webcam-hosting-service-is-discontinued-effective-October-21-2021?language=en_US

Definitely another sad moment for those of us who have contributed to Weather Underground for many years.

Oh well,
. . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Just a reminder ....

If you were uploading from your weather cam to WU via WeatherCat, staring today you will receive FTP errors in your WeatherCat Log until you uncheck the box in Preferences | On-Line | Wunderground PWS labeled Upload Webcam Image. I don't know if everyone will have to also do this, but I had to quit the Cat and restart to clear out its continuing efforts to retry the failed WU camera upload.
Blick

breezy_1

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, Davis WeatherLink
Windy.com is a good alternative, they offer webcams integration directly via their form or through AngelCam. More details about adding your webcam can be accessed at - https://www.windy.com/articles/windy-tutorial-how-to-add-your-webcam-to-windy-10572?53.903,11.420,8   [mostlysunny]