Author Topic: Davis Monitor II and Big Sur  (Read 1418 times)

Massapoag

• Calm
  • Station Details: iMac 27" Davis Monitor II
Davis Monitor II and Big Sur
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:08:46 AM »
Hi folks,

It's been years since I have been here! I started with Stuart when it was LWC. It's always been my mind set if it works leave alone if it isn't broke. Well, it's broke now after about 10 years WeatherCat.... I had a Mac Mini go belly up, and have been trying to move it over to a iMac running on Big Sur using a KeySpan USB adapter with no luck. I see there are issues installing USB on Big Sur. Any insights on how/if possible to get this old hardware working?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Serial to USB getting difficult. (Re: Davis Monitor II and Big Sur)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:45:15 PM »
Dear Massapoag and WeatherCat faithful,

It's been years since I have been here! I started with Stuart when it was LWC.

Well as another LWC old-timer let me welcome you back to the now WeatherCat forum! 

It's always been my mind set if it works leave alone if it isn't broke. Well, it's broke now after about 10 years WeatherCat.... I had a Mac Mini go belly up, and have been trying to move it over to a iMac running on Big Sur using a KeySpan USB adapter with no luck. I see there are issues installing USB on Big Sur. Any insights on how/if possible to get this old hardware working?

Unfortunately, Apple has thrown a major curve ball at the developers of Serial to USB adapters.  I couldn't find any adapters that claim Big Sur compatibility on Amazon.  Do you know which drivers are needed for the KeySpan adapter?  I see that Prolific driver is supposedly compatible with Big Sur:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=229&pcid=41

There is a third party driver developer called mac-usb-serial.com:

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/

However, they have run into a problem upgrading their driver for Big Sur.

If you can give us any additional information on the driver that used to work, perhaps we can give you some additional pointers.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Massapoag

• Calm
  • Station Details: iMac 27" Davis Monitor II
Re: Davis Monitor II and Big Sur
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:56:42 PM »
Thanks Edouard!

Seems like I recall your name on the LWC forum all those years ago!

I was using the drivers provided by KeySpan. At this point I might be better off getting a new weather station. The Monitor II is getting a bit a bit dated anyhow!

What's the best bit for the money for a new weather station? I'm guessing a WiFi enabled weather station is the best option at this point?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Dale

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Lots of station choices these days! (Re: Davis Monitor II)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:03 PM »
Dear Dale and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Seems like I recall your name on the LWC forum all those years ago!

Thanks!   :)

What's the best bit for the money for a new weather station? I'm guessing a WiFi enabled weather station is the best option at this point?

That's a large question in its own right that probably deserves a new posting probably in this topic:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=16.0

It really depends what you want out of the station.  You might want to give the latest offerings from Davis Instrruments some bias simply because you are already use to their equipment.  It also might simplify the change.  On the other hand there are many new station designs out there which are more technologically and aesthetically up to date.  This page lists all the weather stations that WeatherCat supports.  That's a reasonable point of departure!

Once more welcome back!   :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]