Author Topic: Problem with WeatherCat  (Read 215 times)

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Problem with WeatherCat
« on: December 16, 2020, 07:02:44 pm »
This is a long document, but I wanted to explain my problem in detail and the steps I have taken to discover the source of the problem.

Computer hardware and software:
iMac 5K, 27-inch, 2017
Processor 3.5GHz quad core i5
Memory 16 GB
macOS Big Sur Version 11.1

Weather Station:
Vantage Pro 2 wireless
Solar and UV sensors

WeatherCat Version 3.11 Build 26 (3.1.0)

Website www.flowers-cove.ca

Website software: Meteotemplate

I first noticed the problem on December 12th. My Website appeared not to be updating after 6:28AM local time.

Also, WeatherCat shuts down and automatically restarts every three hours or so.

Here is the work I have done to try to isolate the problem.

1.   Check that WeatherCat is receiving data from the console. Yes, this is working. I know this because: WeatherCat > Tools > Live Data shows the same data that is on my console. Also WeatherCat > Tools > Weather Station Gauges shows the same data. I restarted WeatherCat a little while ago and at the bottom of the gauges it shows: Good Data 975, Comms Error 0, Sensor Error 0, Quality 100%. The Good Data number is increasing as it should. (Note the Weather Station Gauges are flickering madly but this is a recognized problem with Big Sur.)
2.   Check to see if graphs and WeatherCat Controller are working. They are not. The Controller shows old data. Specifically, it shows data from 6:21 AM on December 12th. The graphs for external humidity, Temperature, Wind, etc. are all blank.
3.   Checked to see if WeatherCat is uploading data to my weather site. Yes, it is. I used cPanel to check the timestamps. It is uploading just as it should, every 2 minutes. I looked at the webcam.jpg. It shows the current view of the webcam. It also shows the current data from my weather station.
4.   Checked WCT_Realtime.txt on the website. That data appears to be good.
5.   Looked at WeatherCat > Tools > MeteoTemplate. It is not sending data. Reports sent 0, Acknowledgements 0, Response Time 0, Success Rate N/A, Bytes Sent 0, Current Status: Waiting to start. Press Stop. Press Start. No change. Checked the URL and password. Both are correct. This setting activates the api.php script which updates the data on the website.
6.   Looked at ~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1/2020/12_WeatherCatData.cat Hmmm Data in the file ends on December 12 at 6:12 AM. I think we’ve found the problem.
7.   Looked at WeatherCat data folder. Permissions look good.
8.   Looked at Location 1. Permissions look good.
9.   Looked at 2020. Permissions look good.
10.   Looked at 12_WeatherCatData.cat. Permissions look good.

So, tentatively, I have concluded the following.

1.   The fault lies with WeatherCat. It is not updating the XX_WeatherCatData.cat files.
2.   WeatherCat is not activating the api.php file so this is why the data on my website is not updating.

I am thinking of reinstalling WeatherCat but before I do that, I am posting this in the hope that someone would have another fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Hugh

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Corrupted preferences? (Re: Problem with WeatherCat)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:49 pm »
Dear Hugh and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

This is a long document, but I wanted to explain my problem in detail and the steps I have taken to discover the source of the problem.

. . . . .

macOS Big Sur Version 11.1

. . . . .

I first noticed the problem on December 12th. My Website appeared not to be updating after 6:28AM local time.

. . . . .

6.   Looked at ~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1/2020/12_WeatherCatData.cat Hmmm Data in the file ends on December 12 at 6:12 AM. I think we’ve found the problem.

. . . . .

I am thinking of reinstalling WeatherCat but before I do that, I am posting this in the hope that someone would have another fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, it seems clear that Stu hasn't had any time to carefully go through WeatherCat in preparation for the Big Sur launch.  I'm afraid that his life is completely upsidedown in part because of the ongoing Brexit soap opera doing havoc with his day job.  We haven't heard of the sort of problems you are describing, but they could be Big Sur issues.

Before trying to reinstall WeatherCat, you might try replacing your preference file with a copy before December 12th.  Hopefully you have some sort of backup copy available.  There are detailed instructions on how to do this on the WeatherCat Wiki:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_create_and_use_a_backup_of_your_WeatherCat_preferences_file

By all means please do keep us posted on what you discover.

Edouard

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Re: Problem with WeatherCat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:04:30 pm »
Tried replacing the plist file. Didn't work.

Reinstalled WeatherCat. Didn't work.

Renamed 12_WeatherCatData.cat and 12_WeatherCatData.cat.hrs. WeatherCat created new files on launch but will not update the files. [banghead]

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Hugh

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 03:33:50 pm »
I have no idea how this happened but it started working again. [bounce]

Hmmm... I was fiddling around with the plist file. Maybe that did it.

Hugh

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 07:16:20 pm »
Glad to 'hear' things are now working correctly.

Could be, don't forget there are 15 plist files in ~Library/WeatherCatData/.

Whenever your edit with a plist file (for any app), you need to make sure you quit the app before doing so and then restart it before the app will start using it. If you are removing a plist file, you must restart the app to force it to re-create one of its default plist files.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Any solution . . . . . (Re: Problem with WeatherCat)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 11:07:49 pm »
Dear Hugh, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I have no idea how this happened but it started working again. [bounce]
. .  . . .

As I think X-Air can attest, any solution that works is like any airplane landing that you can walk away from - a good one!   [biggrin]

Should you ever seen anything like this again, you should try to take a sample of the process.  Here is a link with the instructions:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1775.0

What you were observing was most likely some number of WeatherCat threads that were locked up.  Sampling the process would allow Stu to find out exactly which threads were locked up and perhaps why.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]