Author Topic: Satellite Still Image Hard To Find  (Read 2055 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Giving URL a try. (Re: Satellite Still Image Hard To Find)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »
Dear mountainhomelodge and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thank you for the update.  I followed your thoughts but still no luck with this link.  Perhaps someone could give it a try and see if the file size is too large or perhaps another issue. 

Okay, I just added your URL to channel 2 of the satellite imagery preferences.  It does preview correctly.  Can you get the preview?  It will take a few hours to load up so I'll report back tomorrow if I can make that link work.

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Alternative images.. (Re: Satellite Still Image Hard To Find)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »
Dear mountainhomelodge and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thank you for the update.  I followed your thoughts but still no luck with this link.  Perhaps someone could give it a try and see if the file size is too large or perhaps another issue.  Thanks in advance.  https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES17/ABI/SECTOR/wus/13/latest.jpg

Okay, I can replicate that the URL you selected does not work.  I decided to try some of the image on this page:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector.php?sat=G17&sector=wus

As you can see, there are lot of possible image renderings that you can choose from.  I picked this one as something close to what you were seeking:

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES17/ABI/SECTOR/wus/AirMass/latest.jpg

It is working fine on my WeatherCat installation.  Let us know if you can make this image work and either or not that suffices.  Otherwise you might be able to create your own URL from the page I mentioned above.

Cheers, Edouard

mountainhomelodge

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW5752
    • KWALEAVE10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 1 Cabled
Re: Satellite Still Image Hard To Find
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 11:37:47 PM »
Thanks for the research on the image, that's great one and I am testing now and will post the outcome soon.  Thanks Again!

mountainhomelodge

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW5752
    • KWALEAVE10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 1 Cabled
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 12:52:56 AM »
Working like a champ.  Thanks again all the help!

Ktuley

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7923
    • KNMALBUQ8
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue 2, iMac (M1) 2021
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 03:56:53 AM »
Hey all, let me provide a little bit of how I discovered the "latest.jpg" concept. It may help in finding the right size picture and other things.

If you remove the latest.jpg from the url.... you'll see a directory of images.... I don't know how long they stay there, however you'll see there are a number of dated images... but there is also the "latest.jpg" image. and in the case of this URL https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES17/ABI/SECTOR/wus/13/
there are different size ones as well..

So if you find the image you're looking for, via some URL, remove the image name, and look at the directory. then choose the version (size etc) you want.
I’m pretty sure this is how NOAA is always displaying the "latest version". When a new file comes in, it creates the timestamped version and all the related sizes as the latest.

Remember too, that if you're capturing an image every 30 minutes, it takes a few hours to have enough different images to actually see it as a movie.

Hope this helps.

Ken

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Good to hear! (Re: Satellite Still Image Hard To Find)
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 10:30:56 PM »
Dear mountainhomelodge, Ken, and WeatherCat faithful,

Working like a champ.  Thanks again all the help!

Good to hear!  Thanks for asking your question.  I never had an excuse to try this WeatherCat feature.  It turns out to be very handy, especially since the National Weather Service imagery pages aren't nearly as convenient as the old ones.

Hey all, let me provide a little bit of how I discovered the "latest.jpg" concept. It may help in finding the right size picture and other things.

If you remove the latest.jpg from the url.... you'll see a directory of images.... I don't know how long they stay there, however you'll see there are a number of dated images... but there is also the "latest.jpg" image. and in the case of this URL https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES17/ABI/SECTOR/wus/13/
there are different size ones as well..
. . . . .

Thanks for the explanation!  I had given up on trying to get a directory from a web server since most of the time this feature is turned off for security reasons.  In this case it is every helpful indeed.  As you point out, you might choose a smaller image and save some disc space on your computer.  As noted in the manual on page 46, WeatherCat doesn't delete these files.  Using the smallest image will save you a lot of disc space in the long term.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Ktuley

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7923
    • KNMALBUQ8
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue 2, iMac (M1) 2021
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 06:52:14 AM »
That's a BIG YES! on the big files not being deleted. I forgot about that and found that not only did I have something like 80GB of images, they were being backed up too... so 80 GB times 7 backups.... and I was wondering why my backups were taking longer and longer to finish...Cleaned that up, and adjusted the image capture time too... AFTER reading that section of the manual!!!