Author Topic: WeatherCat plist file  (Read 81 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini Mid 2011 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 12 GB of RAM | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS 10.13.6 HighSierra
WeatherCat plist file
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:21:16 pm »
Hello all,

does anybody know or does have a tip for this scenario:

• Shut down WeatherCat
• Kick this file ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist into the trash
• Empty trash
• Restart WeatherCat
• Build a all new Prefs file from the scratch

What happens with the data collected till now (since 2008)?
Are all my data sent to various services (WeatherCloud, PWS, AWEKAS, etc) lost? (I ask this, because it lasts a few minutes to build up the prefs)
And finally: Will WeatherCat find my station on a start without knowing the prefs - OR: is this info stored in another prefs file?

Thanks for any input, much appreciated!
Cheers,
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS 10.15.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat plist file
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:16:04 pm »
Reinhard:

You will need to reboot your computer between emptying the trash and restarting WeatherCat.

Nothing will happen to your data. WeatherCat will automatically rebuild your plist file, but you will have to go through and reset your specific settings because WeatherCat will not remember them. After you reset your settings, WC will resume uploading to the various services.

It's a lot easier to keep a copy of your functioning plist than to restart from scratch, but if you remember your settings, it won't take you long to do it the hard way.

Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS 10.15.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:18:58 pm »
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:42:39 pm »
What happens with the data collected till now (since 2008)?
Nothing. WC historical data is not stored in the app's main plist file. You should have lots of "~/Library/WeatherCatBackups/WeatherCatBackup_Day_dayOfMon_Mon_Year_time" files. BTW, there are 16 more plist files in there! :)

Good advice from Blick. Unless you know for a fact that your plist file is bad, there is no reason to trash it. That step comes from the temptation of using the "Trash" as a temporary place to store stuff. Why would anyone want to use something that's been in the trash?! [goofy] Instead of "trashing" a file, especially a plist that contains dozens of bits of information the way WC does, simply move it to some place convenient, even the Desktop. All apps look for their plist files in the same place; ~/Library/Preferences/ [rockon]

Stop putting stuff in the trash unless you want the garbage man to take it to the landfill! [lol]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini Mid 2011 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 12 GB of RAM | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS 10.13.6 HighSierra
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 06:07:19 am »
Thanks to both Blick & xair - much appreciated!

It's a lot easier to keep a copy of your functioning plist than to restart from scratch, but if you remember your settings, it won't take you long to do it the hard way.
Ihave done that - the last time in 2016.  [banghead]

Unless you know for a fact that your plist file is bad, there is no reason to trash it.
No fact, just want to have a very clean plist file since, I don't know when (probably back to LWC...)

Cheers,
Reinhard