Author Topic: Weathercat3 not installing  (Read 172 times)

Malsatpoole

• Calm
    • Ew0531
  • Station Details: Davis vantage pro2 plus and weatherlinkip
Weathercat3 not installing
« on: December 04, 2020, 09:28:54 pm »
Hi,
I have just changed internet providers. My devices have been set up correctly and working with the new router.
I also installed the WiFi data logger in my Davis Pro 2 Plus.
I have manager to get data transfer to weatherlink2 and to CWOP. (EW0531)
Data is going to the IP address used by the data logger.

I couldn't get weather cat to work. I chose my device in the comms set up, didn't find it.
I then chose the IP address option, still without success.
I had to remove weather cat because it froze.
I am now unable to install. it does not go past the "general XML driver initialising" stage.

I am now without weather cat.

It was working prior to the changes.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How did you replace WeatherCat? (Re: Weathercat3 not installing)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:50:58 pm »
Dear Malsatpoole and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

None of the changes to your Internet service should have had any effect on the operation of WeatherCat.

. . . .

I couldn't get weather cat to work. I chose my device in the comms set up, didn't find it.
I then chose the IP address option, still without success.

Unfortunately, you should have asked for instructions on how to configure your IP data logger.  Here is the procedure on the WeatherCat Wiki:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_setup_the_Davis_WeatherLinkIP%E2%84%A2_data_logger

I had to remove weather cat because it froze.
I am now unable to install. it does not go past the "general XML driver initialising" stage.
. . . . .

Normally you should not have to remove WeatherCat simply because it froze.  The normal procedure is to simply force-quit the application as described in this Apple support documentation:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201276

Exactly how did you "remove" WeatherCat?  Did you remove any other files besides the application itself?  What was the procedure you used to replace it?  From your description, it could be that you have a corrupt WeatherCat preference file.

Please provide us with additional information so we can assist you with your problem.

Cheers, Edouard

Malsatpoole

• Calm
    • Ew0531
Re: Weathercat3 not installing
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 04:37:52 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I uninstalled WC3 by dragging the app in applications to the bin, then emptying bin.
I still have the 3 folders exports, NOAAR reports and WC reports.

I downloaded the installer and dragged it into the applications folder.
When clicking on the app. WC3 tries to install but hangs on "Generic XML Driver initialising"

It was working ok with WeatherlinkIP module prior to installing the WIFI2 module.
Initially, it couldn't find the comms connection. I tried a couple of times using the weather station type, then an IP address.
The device was never found. The final time the screen locked and I had to reboot my iMac.

After several attempts i tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and I kept getting as far as the Generic XML position.
I force quit and uninstall by dragging the app to the bin.

OS Catalina 10.15.7

WIFI2 Data logger.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

I think you might be correct a file being a corrupt.

Thanks and regards.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Restore preferences? (Re: Weathercat3 not installing)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:36:28 pm »
Dear Malsatpoole and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . . .
I force quit and uninstall by dragging the app to the bin.

There is no need to delete the application after force-quit.  The application file isn't the source of your problem.

. . . .
I think you might be correct a file being a corrupt.

It is possible that the main WeatherCat preference file has been corrupted.  If you have a backup, you might try to restore the file from a time before you started having these issues.  The file can be found at (in UNIX notation:)

~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist

The ~ reference to your home folder.  In order to restore the file you must reboot before attempting to launch WeatherCat otherwise the restored preference file won't be loaded.

Let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Edouard

Malsatpoole

• Calm
    • Ew0531
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:01:25 pm »
Edouard,

I don't have a back up/restore.

I took a look in the preferences folder and there is no:    com.trixology.weathercat.plist

The reason for deleting the app., is that the app. kept trying to install even after forcing quit.

Going back, during install, I get the warning ie downloaded from third party site, do I want to continue.
When I do, I normally have to go to security/privacy and permit install,  this part is not happening.

I cannot think of anything further.

Thanks for helping.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 10:51:02 pm »
downloaded from third party site
That is just the standard Apple warning for any non-Apple download. If you did not personally initiate the download, this is your chance to not install it. Since you actually wanted another copy, you can simply click the OK, continue or whatever the button is called and finish the download/install. ThU32:-)

As Edouard mentioned, there is no need to delete the app nor even the plist file. Simply move the plist (that you think might be corrupt) to any convenient place on your drive. In fact, you can even rename it by adding almost anything to its name. Either moving it or renaming it will basically make it invisible to an app. Thus, when you try to restart an app, the first thing it will do is to create a brand new, default plist file. This is a standard process for just about any Mac app. ThU5:-) And, for most apps, the last thing they do is to re-save their plist files, if they have any changes in them. Force Quitting an app usually doesn't allow that process to happen, of course. :-[

Malsatpoole

• Calm
    • Ew0531
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 07:31:29 am »
Well, I went through the installation again. It seemed to hang at the Generic XML stage. Left it alone and after about 10 minutes I got the message "weather station not found" and gave me the option to set up the weather station comms again.

Entered the details and Hey presto, it found the station.
I am up and running.

I should have waited longer at the generic XML stage.
I entered incorrectly the comms details.

Anyway, many thanks for the help.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
Congrats! I'd share some of my patience with you but I ran completely out of that trait several years ago! cmu:-)

Malsatpoole

• Calm
    • Ew0531
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »
The hanging at the generic xml stage was searching for the weather station.
Initially I’d entered the weather station device when I should have entered weatherlinkip at the comms section. When I entered the IP address, in caused my problem.

Thanks again for your help. I learnt a couple of things.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:40 pm »
Thanks for updating what you've found/learned. That will help with similar problems in the future! [cheer]