Author Topic: The Death of Growl  (Read 1058 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
The Death of Growl
« on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:42 AM »
Growl, once a must-have for Mac, has officially been relegated to the dust bin. Sorry Edouard, I know you are a long-time fan of the software.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/growl-once-a-staple-of-the-mac-desktop-experience-has-been-retired/
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: The Death of Growl
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 04:16:52 AM »
Another (sad) memory...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
*Sigh*, . . . . (Re: The Death of Growl)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 10:30:08 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat faithful,

Growl, once a must-have for Mac, has officially been relegated to the dust bin. Sorry Edouard, I know you are a long-time fan of the software.

Indeed no big surprise, but sad nonetheless.  Instead of coming up with some sort of universal messaging system, the result was a rat's nest of copycat systems, none of which was as good.  Apple's replacement for Growl isn't as versatile.  Information technology is right on the border of language and communications in general.  Yet, while we would go mad if you couldn't speak the same language to some one who owns android phone as an iPhone, IT hasn't learned this lesson - to the detriment of absolutely everybody.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard