Author Topic: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur  (Read 16771 times)

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2021, 10:38:24 PM »
There is an updated CP210x Macintosh OS VCP Driver 6.0 - December 18, 2020 download from Silicon Labs https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

From the Release Notes

CP210x Macintosh OS Driver Revision History
--------------------------------------------
Version 6.0
   Adds VID/PID for NECYD NLTAIR cp2105
   Supports macOS Big Sur with implementation of DriverKit extension

u000gbk

• Calm
    • FW7931
    • KPAWESTC108
  • Station Details: WMR200 Station
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »
I have not yet updated to BigSur due to the concerns I have seen with WeatherCat users and BigSur.  It looks like a new BigSur "Candidate Release" is forthcoming ... Release 11.2 ... supposedly addressing some existing issues.  I have an Oregon Scientific WRM-200 weather station (connects to Mac via USB) and it works perfectly on Catalina ver. 10.15.7 (latest update).  Does anyone have an Oregon Scientific weather station currently running without issues under BigSur?  I would upgrade if I knew it worked with my platform.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:34 PM »
With Big Sur the issue is was with the Silicon Labs USB interface v5.3.5 driver being broken which allows the MacOS to allow data to be passed from the Wx Station to the Mac. After installing Big Sur you have update that SiliconLabs driver  to verson 6.0 as the previous version 5.3.5 is for Catalina & is incompatible with Big Sur OS.
Go to:
https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers
Go to downloads and download the updated driver for Mac and install it and you will be good to go.  You may have to restart - I would also unplug the Wx station USB when you are installing the driver and then reconnect after installation or restart.

jsalba@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:11 AM »
Hmmmm.  I updated the SiLabs driver but the obnoxious flashing of the gauges persisted.
It has been suggested elsewhere on this discussion board that there is a conflict between Big Sur and the WeatherCat app itself.
Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.
I am using a Davis VantageVue weather station. Hard to say whether you will have the same difficulties with yourOregon Scientific station or not

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2021, 04:58:30 AM »
Blick

jsalba@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2021, 05:11:18 AM »
I just downloaded the test version which I found under General Discussion and the flickering gauges are gone!!!   

Re: Weathercat client under MacOS Big Sur
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 10:04:02 am »
A test build is now available at https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3256.0

Cheers,
Stu.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2021, 05:24:16 AM »
Yes, the test build was replaced by the link I posted.
Blick

SCH

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »
I am experiencing intermittent dropped communications between my Vantage Pro2 Console and my iMac. Here's the details:  I have a new iMac running Big Sur 11.2.2 and the latest version of WeatherCat. This was a fresh install of WeaherCat and the Silicon Labs USB driver, v6.0. I noticed that the connection to the Vantage Pro 2 drops at unexpected times. It may stay up for a day, or may drop after two or three hours.
I noticed in system report-software-extensions that no silicon labs USB shows up. However, under system report-hardware-USB the silicon labs driver shows up. Another odd thing is that the silicon labs installer places in app in the applications folder. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. You can open it, but it doesn't do anything, nor does it affect what is showing up in system report.
For some reason, I don't have a silicon labs extension showing, but in WeatherCat, the choice is there when one configures comms. I suspect this is the root of my problem. Does anyone know what's going on with this weirdness?
Thanks.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
I don't have Big Sur macOS 11 installed, so I can't comment on what the Silab "app" might do, nor can I confirm where the driver is installed in that OS. Hopefully those who have updated to BS will shortly. I would suspect that if WC is offering/'seeing' the driver, it is likely in the correct location.

My (lost) post yesterday, however, mentioned that there could be external causes form similar 'dropped communication' problems:
First, there may be another Davis ISS using the same Station ID as you are. That is fairly easy to test/check by changing your Station ID. Pages 9 thru 12 of the Davis Manual have all the details.
Second, there may be things in your home that have been moved (by the dog/cat?!) that may now be interfering with the signal from the ISS.
Lastly, you might simply have low batteries in either the ISS, the Console or both. Or the ISS 'super-capacitor' may have failed. You may discover that when a replacement battery doesn't last very long! :o

Anyway, I hope some real experts will now see your message that was here yesterday. ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anyone comment on Big Sur driver? (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:41 AM »
Dear SCH, X-Air and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I did offer you some suggestions yesterday, but alas that posting was lost because of the forum database corruption mentioned here:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3282.0;topicseen

I am experiencing intermittent dropped communications between my Vantage Pro2 Console and my iMac.
. . . 
I noticed in system report-software-extensions that no silicon labs USB shows up. However, under system report-hardware-USB the silicon labs driver shows up. Another odd thing is that the silicon labs installer places in app in the applications folder. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. You can open it, but it doesn't do anything, nor does it affect what is showing up in system report.
For some reason, I don't have a silicon labs extension showing, but in WeatherCat, the choice is there when one configures comms. I suspect this is the root of my problem. Does anyone know what's going on with this weirdness?

Unfortunately, I'm not running Big Sur either and none of the current users running Big Sur have commented thus far.

I do know that under Big Sur kernel extensions are no longer permitted.  That might explain what you are observing.  Alternatively, you might be having a problem because your didn't authenticate the installation of the Silicon Labs new version of the driver.  On the WeatherCat Wiki we describe the procedure for Mojave and Catalina:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Obtaining_the_latest_drivers_for_use_with_Davis_data_loggers

Unfortunately, I do not know if Big Sur has something similar.  Could someone running WeatherCat on Big Sur please comment?

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2021, 01:35:13 AM »
This ECLECTIC LIGHT COMPANY article has some fairly technical info (well above my pay grade) that may help in understanding what, why & where of Big Sur macOS 11 Extensions. The following quote explains why you won't find them in the Extensions section of the System Report with BS.
In Big Sur, third-party kexts are kept in folders inside /Library/StagedExtensions, typically in Applications or Library/Extensions within that, whereas system kexts are in /System/Library/Extensions which is locked away on the System volume. You’ll also still see them listed in /Library/Extensions.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
Hi everyone:

Davis Vantage Pro 2 user---FYI

Read through this thread as I am preparing to update my iMac to Big Sur (waiting for version 3).
I have the latest silicon bridge (Version 6) sitting on my desktop, not installed yet.

Questions: The last post on this thread was March 3rd....is Weathercat and version 6 of the silicon bridge working OK now? Safe to upgrade?
I understand that the flashing gauges thing is not related to this COMMS issue.
Advice: Should I install Version 6 of the extension now (running Mojave) before I update?

Is anyone running Big Sur, with Davis Vantage Pro 2, installed Ver 6 Silicon Labs bridge-----and all is working as expected?

Thanks all...

Rich

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Latest version works fine. (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2021, 09:26:34 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat faithful,

I'm still not running Big Sur, but I think I can point you to the answers you need.

. . . . .
Advice: Should I install Version 6 of the extension now (running Mojave) before I update?

You need to install Big Sur first.  The architecture is different for Big Sur than any previous version of macOS.  The installer will only put in the correct driver if it detects Big Sur as the operating system.

. . . .
Is anyone running Big Sur, with Davis Vantage Pro 2, installed Ver 6 Silicon Labs bridge-----and all is working as expected?

You need to install the latest version of WeatherCat that you'll find more information on here:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3267.msg31342#msg31342

This version includes workarounds for bugs in Big Sur.  As a result, there is some additional processing time, but otherwise everything works as before.

On the same thread you'll find this reply by user wx-watch:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3267.msg31346#msg31346

According to this person's signature, wx-watch has a station installation extremely close to yours.  If you have any concerns, you could send that person a PM to confirm all details.

Hopefully, others will chime in with additional details.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WeatherguyNH

• Strong Breeze
    • RichLefko.com
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2. IN Peterborough NH
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
Thank you..all very helpful!!!
I will continue to watch this thread (and others).....but probably won't attempt a move until at least 11.3.

You know, this shouldn't be this difficult a decision.... [banghead]

Thank you again...

Rich

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
You're welcome! (Re: WeatherCat and Mac OS 11 Big Sur)
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2021, 10:54:21 PM »
Dear Rich and WeatherCat faithful,

Thank you..all very helpful!!!

You are most welcome!   :)

I will continue to watch this thread (and others).....but probably won't attempt a move until at least 11.3.

You know, this shouldn't be this difficult a decision.... [banghead]

These days caution remains very much the better part of valor.  As the old saying goes: if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]