Author Topic: Historical Data no longer downloading after upgrading Console & USB Data Logger  (Read 256 times)

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2, Mac Mini (2018), macOS 10.15.6
Hello Forumites,

My ancient Vantage Pro2 Console started misbehaving so I took the opportunity to exchange it with Davis. Alas, the USB Data Logger I retained was no longer recognized by the new console so I had to exchange that for a more recent version with Davis as well.

Now when I load WeatherCat during each morning's boot, the progress bar shows that it is downloading the previous evenings info (during overnight shutdown) but after downloading, all graphs display a horizontal line where the data previously was recorded before the 'upgrade'.

I purchased another console and updated data logger for another location with the same behavior resulting with the upgrade. No historical data from the previous evening's logging. When running, the data comes in fine all day. It is only when restarting that no data is brought into WeatherCat from offline observations.

Any suggestions for solving this conundrum would be appreciated.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Double-check install? (Re: Historical Data not downloading after upgrading)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:04:30 pm »
Dear elderforester and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

My ancient Vantage Pro2 Console started misbehaving so I took the opportunity to exchange it with Davis. Alas, the USB Data Logger I retained was no longer recognized by the new console so I had to exchange that for a more recent version with Davis as well.

Now when I load WeatherCat during each morning's boot, the progress bar shows that it is downloading the previous evenings info (during overnight shutdown) but after downloading, all graphs display a horizontal line where the data previously was recorded before the 'upgrade'.

I purchased another console and updated data logger for another location with the same behavior resulting with the upgrade. No historical data from the previous evening's logging. When running, the data comes in fine all day. It is only when restarting that no data is brought into WeatherCat from offline observations.

This feature of WeatherCat has been around for many years and is well-tested, so the most plausible explanation is that there is some sort of issue with your Davis hardware.  In both cases, it appears that data simply isn't being stored in the data logger.  That would explain why WeatherCat indicates that it is attempting to download data, but there isn't any.

We had a recent case of a Davis user who was also getting strange results from the data logger:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3170.msg30520#msg30520

The solution in that case was to simply remove and carefully install the data logger and then reset the console.  Since that worked in this earlier case, I would give that a try as your first attempted remedy.

Cheers, Edouard

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
The solution in that case was to simply remove and carefully install the data logger and then reset the console.  Since that worked in this earlier case, I would give that a try as your first attempted remedy.

Bingo! Thanks Edouard, that did the trick, reseating the logger, in both cases!

WeatherCat rules!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear elderforester and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Bingo! Thanks Edouard, that did the trick, reseating the logger, in both cases!

Congratulations!  I'm glad that solved your problem!  ThU5:-)

Is seating the data logger difficult in any way?  Perhaps a bit hard to seat or alternatively perhaps a little loose?

The vast majority of WeatherCat station installations are Davis, and until now, nobody ever has a problem getting the data logger seated in the console.  I'm wondering if Davis has changed something on the new data loggers (or consoles) that is making it more difficult to install the data logger.  It would be good know since in that case we'll be answering this question again and again.

Thanks for any insights you might have.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
Edouard, it is a bit difficult to determine that the data logger is completely seated. The new one has the same engineering as before in that it still doesn't snap or click upon insertion..

Because I didn't want to risk damaging the prongs I didn't press down with considerable force, which is what it would seem to require. I certainly pushed down on it, but it really requires mashing it down.

Having installed memory chips, etc., into computers for years it is easier in those cases to determine when the chip is not seated because it doesn't look parallel with the board or the side clips are not clipped in. The data logger looked parallel and seated, when it obviously was not. Since the little metal pull functions only as a means for removal, IMHO it would be better to additionally function as a clip to insure proper and successful installation.

What was confusing was that the console operated properly while running WeatherCat, but was not transferring any overnight data, even though the progress bar loaded at the same speed. It was your insight that brought to my attention how the data logger actually functions.

Thanks again for your solution.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS 10.14.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3 | Supportive Wife
Elderforester:

Glad you got it solved. Would you please take a look at this Wiki article and tell us if there are significant differences between resetting the USB data logger and the IP data logger described in the article?

Thanks.

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_reset_a_Davis_WeatherLinkIP_data_logger_and_other_troubleshooting_tips
Blick

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
In looking over the article; I didn't find any significant differences in resetting the loggers. I detached the cabling and removed a battery before removing and re-inserting the data logger of course. I did not go to any particular page on the console before reseating the logger. Not sure if that's significant but it works fine now.

The only other issue is the errors reporting in the upload to Wunderground. After loading WeatherCat, it seems to take an awfully long time before the Wunderground page begins to display current conditions. Like 30 minutes or longer. I shall assume that the issue is with the Wunderground servers (any surprise there?).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks, . . . (Re: Historical Data no longer downloading)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 10:59:18 pm »
Dear elderforester, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Thanks for the insights with regards to installing the data logger.  It will help us guide the next person.

I assume that your issues with Weather Underground are on their end.  IBM hasn't had much interest in taking care of this service since they bought it and we all suffer as a result.

Thanks again,

Edouard