Author Topic: Legacy System Extension warning  (Read 3418 times)

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, Vantage ISS, WeatherLink Datalogger
Legacy System Extension warning
« on: July 24, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Hi, Have just rebooted my mac (running Catalina 10.15.6) and was presented with the following warning.

"existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "Silicon Laboratories Inc", which will be incompatable with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support"

Is this anything to worry about, seeing as this is the driver that runs Davis USB interface?

I have only just upgraded my mac and migrated weathercat over to it as I was worried about leaving an old Mavericks OS permenantly connected to the internet.
Now it sounds like I won't be able to upgrade this new mac further, unless Silicone Labs release a new driver. Is this correct? is it known about? Do I need to worry?

Please tell me I don't.

Regards,

Ephraim

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Probably old version (Re: Legacy System Extension warning)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:50:22 PM »
Dear Ephraim and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Hi, Have just rebooted my mac (running Catalina 10.15.6) and was presented with the following warning.

"existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "Silicon Laboratories Inc", which will be incompatable with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support"

Is this anything to worry about, seeing as this is the driver that runs Davis USB interface?
. . . .

This issue has come up before:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3106.0

Most likely, you simply have an outdated driver.  We have instructions on the WeatherCat Wiki on how to upgrade your driver:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Obtaining_the_latest_drivers_for_use_with_Davis_data_loggers

If you follow those instructions, the warning message should disappear.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

EphraimGadsby

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue, Vantage ISS, WeatherLink Datalogger
Re: Legacy System Extension warning
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Thank you, but I fear this won't solve the issue though as I have only just migrated to a new mac, and installed the latest Silicon Labs driver (v5.3.5) on 23rd Jun 2020.

The link on the website says "Download for Macintosh OSX (v5.2.4)" but in the release notes that were bundled into the download it says v5.3.5 released Feb 25 2020.

So it would seem that I have got the latest driver.

Is it just a case of waiting and hoping that the folks at Silicon Labs release a new driver just before, or shortly after the next Mac OS update, which I presume is going to be 2-3 months away in September or October.

rrsum

• Calm
    • EW0603
    • KMIMANCH11
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Envoy, WeatherCat - http://www.rick.summerhill.org/weather/
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
I have this question also - with the same software and exactly the same warning.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
Rick:

Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the SiLabs thread as I use a different data logger that does not require a driver.

However, as this was your first post, I'd like to welcome you to the WeatherCat Forums and let you know I took a look at your website and perused your photography section. Welcome aboard.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
I would guess when the next OS. comes aboard Silicon Labs will update.  However, why don't you email them directly and ask them.  then they can give you a timetable on when it will be updates.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Interesting - I stand corrected. (Re: Legacy System Extension warning)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
Dear Ephraim rrsum, Blick, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Thank you, but I fear this won't solve the issue though as I have only just migrated to a new mac, and installed the latest Silicon Labs driver (v5.3.5) on 23rd Jun 2020.

The link on the website says "Download for Macintosh OSX (v5.2.4)" but in the release notes that were bundled into the download it says v5.3.5 released Feb 25 2020.

So it would seem that I have got the latest driver.

Is it just a case of waiting and hoping that the folks at Silicon Labs release a new driver just before, or shortly after the next Mac OS update, which I presume is going to be 2-3 months away in September or October.

Okay, that's news to me.  Sorry for the incorrect advice. 

I would guess when the next OS. comes aboard Silicon Labs will update.  However, why don't you email them directly and ask them.  then they can give you a timetable on when it will be updates.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, but technical support is hardly a high priority for many companies these days.  Still, even if you don't get a reply, it effectively acts as a "vote" for Silicon Labs to update the driver.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 11:05:00 PM »
I have Norton Antivirus on my iMac.  when I reboot the computer after an update, I get the same thing. It  is just to let me and you , know that when the operating system updates in the fall, the driver might not be compatible.  Now that shouldn't happen until some time in September or so.  I would venture the guess that Silicon Labs will update the driver and you shouldn't worry about that now.  Again, if so write them (silicon labs) and ask them.  I think they would give you a better answer than I or anyone else can do.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 11:47:20 PM »
Have you tried using "System Information" and looking at Software->Extensions. Scroll down to the SiLabs driver(s) and see which one is actually loaded. You might still have a 32-bit version installed, but probably, not loaded. If you do, you can simply move it to some place other than the /System/Extensions directory. You can also confirm that the 64-bit version is loaded. Note: Installed is not the same as Loaded.

BTW, there are two ways to get "System Info...":
1. Option-click the black apple at the extreme left-hand end of the Menu bar.
2. Use that same location and click "About this Mac". In the window that pops up, click the "System Report..."

I guess the second method gets you a "System Report" of the "System Information". [rolleyes2] [lol]
Images below show what I have installed and loaded in my aging Mojave macOS 10.14 Mac mini. Catalina macOS 10.15 may look slightly different.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 12:53:49 AM »
IF he his running Catalina, 32 bit software won't run.

Once again, contact Silicon Labs.  I even got you their address:https://www.silabs.com/about-us/contact-us  .   If it were me , I go directly to the developer rather than waste my time , oh heck go for it.   There is a way, but you have to buy something and alter your virtual and I wouldn't do it ,but you can do as you see fit:     Mac users will be able to continue to run 32-bit applications or programs—even if they are using macOS Catalina—with the help of Parallels Desktop® for Mac

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 01:12:16 AM »
I am well aware that Catalina will not natively run a 32-bit function. However, it may very well notify the user (warn/complain) if there are 32-bit files laying around. :) The System Information check costs nothing but a few seconds of CPU time. And many don't even know it exists.

From your attached image (which requires the infamous horizontal scrolling [rolleyes2] [banghead] ), it appears that Catalina shows different info between the Date and Developer columns. [interesting]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 04:21:42 PM »
I am well aware that Catalina will not natively run a 32-bit function. However, it may very well notify the user (warn/complain) if there are 32-bit files laying around. :) The System Information check costs nothing but a few seconds of CPU time. And many don't even know it exists.

From your attached image (which requires the infamous horizontal scrolling [rolleyes2] [banghead] ), it appears that Catalina shows different info between the Date and Developer columns. [interesting]
.  Be very careful about removing antiquated items.   That is don't remove things,   The OS will eventually sort it out.  A person might think they are cleaning up, but in reality could brick their system.  If you do have 32 bit, just leave it alone.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 05:55:26 PM »

The OP's post has nothing to do with 32 bit software, so that just adds confusion. The next OS requires a completely different application to replace current system extensions. Some companies have already addressed these, and some are still pending upgrades (assuming it is an active developer.)

I have several of these pop up every few restarts, including AdGuard, MalwareBytes, Garmin, Logitech, SilLabs, and a couple more. I'm not worried about them at this point. If they aren't addressed by the tome Mac OS 11 is released, I'll just need to either wait until they are or find a replacement, just like we've done many times in the past.

Apple's post on this topic from March: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210999
MacRumors Discussion: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/25/mac-legacy-system-extension-warning/

If you want something to worry about, wait until all new Macs are ARM-chips and won't work with almost any current software...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »

The OP's post has nothing to do with 32 bit software, so that just adds confusion. The next OS requires a completely different application to replace current system extensions. Some companies have already addressed these, and some are still pending upgrades (assuming it is an active developer.)

I have several of these pop up every few restarts, including AdGuard, MalwareBytes, Garmin, Logitech, SilLabs, and a couple more. I'm not worried about them at this point. If they aren't addressed by the tome Mac OS 11 is released, I'll just need to either wait until they are or find a replacement, just like we've done many times in the past.

Apple's post on this topic from March: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210999
MacRumors Discussion: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/25/mac-legacy-system-extension-warning/

If you want something to worry about, wait until all new Macs are ARM-chips and won't work with almost any current software...
Not going to be a problem,  I don't think I will buying a New Mac.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »
Not going to be a problem,  I don't think I will buying a New Mac.
Nope, me neither. For a while, anyway. Mine is from 2017 with plenty of RAM and disk space, so I'll be good for several years. But eventually, stuff breaks...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook