Author Topic: US desert Southwest: Warm enough for ya' ????  (Read 1382 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
US desert Southwest: Warm enough for ya' ????
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:07:27 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of extreme weather,

The National Weather Service has been raising alarm bells over the dome of high pressure that is going all the way from Texas to the Pacific.  It is basically off the charts when it comes to climatology, being many standard deviations outside of the norm.  In Northern California, we are at the extreme edge but are still suffering from the heat.  Biquette's engine was rebuilt by an outfit in Scottsdale, Arizona.  Attached is their 5-day forecast.

We have a number of WeatherCatters in the desert Southwest.  Hey you all, . . . . how are you coping with the heat?  [sweat2]

Curious WeatherCatters would like to know . . . .

Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: US desert Southwest: Warm enough for ya' ????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:33:07 PM »
 [sun2]
Thankfully, here in the mountains, at 8300 feet (2530 meters) we are running about 20°F (~11°C) cooler than the Salt Lake Valley for our daytime highs.
Blick

BikerGeek

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW7830
    • KAZGLEND235
    • HDBitchin, a unique Harley Davidson Forum
  • Station Details: Netatmo WS with a Smart Anemometer & Smart Rain Gauge | MacBook Air (Late 2010) running macOS 10.13.6 (dedicated laptop for WeatherCat) | WeatherCat for AppleTV
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:29:28 AM »
Staying indoors with the AC set to a comfortable 78 degrees is what I am recommending.

The high today here in Glendale, AZ was 111 degrees and tomorrow it is suppose to be 116 degrees.

Being a new WeatherCat member I haven’t built a banner or a webpage yet but here is a small sticker from WeatherCloud that is being feed by my MacBook and WeatherCat...

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
Nice sticker. I like WeatherCloud; they are a great addition to the backyard weather station community.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Playing tricks on the temperature models. (Re: Warm enough for ya' ????)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
Dear BikerGeek, Blick and WeatherCat weather observers,

I got a reply from the outfit that rebuilt my trusty wagon's engine in Scottsdale, AZ.  They are all fine.  No heat-related or COVID-19 issues for them at least.  Definitely, nothing to compare to the desert Southwest heat, but I thought the WeatherCat community might find it a bit interesting.  Attached is the current high at Canebas Weather station compared to the forecast high for today.  My station is CWOP DW3835.  Since at least last year, the National Weather Service is no longer able to make accurate high temperature forecast for our location.  The forecasts used to be close, but now they frequently forecast much lower temperatures than the actual during this sort of high pressure event.  My guess is that the models are no longer able to realistically forecast the effect of the sea breeze (or lack there of.)   So I'm back on previous experience and watching the WeatherCat graphs carefully to see what the high temperature will be.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 11:19:59 PM »
Hi WeatherCatters

12 days in a row with 90 plus degrees with a heat index in 103 to 109 degrees which in very unusual for Ohio [sweat2]

cheers [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
they frequently forecast much lower temperatures than the actual during this sort of high pressure event.  My guess is that the models are no longer able to realistically forecast the effect of the sea breeze (or lack there of.)
How do those higher temps correlate to having that wagon outside? jis' sayin'... [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »
Hi WeatherCatters

12 days in a row with 90 plus degrees with a heat index in 103 to 109 degrees which in very unusual for Ohio [sweat2]

cheers [cheers1]

And hotter this coming week... What Randall didn't mention, but shows up as
feels like" or apparent temperature charts, is that the humidity has also been in the 70-80% range. We had our first rain in weeks yesterday (.72" total) but prior to that, you know it is uncomfortable when the dew point is in the 80s. Your shirt gets soaked in sweat walking from the house to the mailbox.

Which is why I love fall and winter. :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook