Author Topic: Davis ISS Battery  (Read 3252 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Davis ISS Battery
« on: June 03, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
I know most of you swap your 3 volt battery out every year but could someone tell me what it the lowest acceptable voltage reading for that ISS battery before penny pinchers like me should swap it out? I've been letting them drop to 2.8.

Thanks.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Davis ISS Battery
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
I was re-leveling my ISS yesterday (don't know how it became unleveled) and decided to swap my battery out in good weather rather than wait for a blizzard. The old battery was installed 4 years and 2 months ago. Its voltage was still good, 3.07. My new battery is a no-name brand that cost me $2. I want to see if it is as good as the Duracell Ultra batteries I have been using.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Simply a matter of choosing your discipline. (Re: Davis ISS Battery )
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 10:46:22 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat penny pinchers,

. . . .
The old battery was installed 4 years and 2 months ago. Its voltage was still good, 3.07.
. . . .

Your point is perfectly valid and there is a genuine issue to discarding good batteries from an environmental point of view.  I change my battery every year because I use WeatherCat's maintenance scheduler.  However, I have a number of other household items that I've added to my calendar - changing furnace filters for example.  I suppose you could have your cake and eat it too.  You could check the voltage of your battery every year, but not change it until it drops below a certain level.

Sadly, I'm so pressed for time these days that I desperately need simpler strategies.  Fortunately, not everyone is so squeezed.

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »
I know most of you swap your 3 volt battery out every year but could someone tell me what it the lowest acceptable voltage reading for that ISS battery before penny pinchers like me should swap it out? I've been letting them drop to 2.8.

Thanks.

I would guess when the console says the battery needs replacing  would be a great idea.     I buy batteries in bulk so they don't cost as much, but I wait until I get a message on the console that the battery is low. The only exception is the outside batteries.  In the late fall, I replace the ISS, the soil and other transmitters so I don't have to replace the batteries when it is icy out there.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
I would guess when the console says the battery needs replacing  would be a great idea.     I buy batteries in bulk so they don't cost as much, but I wait until I get a message on the console that the battery is low. The only exception is the outside batteries.  In the late fall, I replace the ISS, the soil and other transmitters so I don't have to replace the batteries when it is icy out there.

That annual ISS battery change is likely what most WeatherCatters do because it is prudent. I've just had great luck with that 3 volt battery running fine for 4-5 years.
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
I find mine last at least 4 years as well - at a very temperate 53°N - I wait for the warning, but mine are easily accessible.
Mark

jenkins007

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5690
    • KTXSEGUI14
    • Makomel Field Sensor Array
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage II Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »
My first battery lasted over 10 years. The next few I had to replace less than 1 year. Then I realized that I bought those batteries about 10 years ago. I bought a lithium one and hopefully it will last as long as the first one. I live in South Texas with lots of sunshine and the solar panel seems to work well.
Thanks,
Matthew