Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + w/24 hour FARS rebuild with 110v Fan  (Read 863 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + w/24 hour FARS rebuild with 110v Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 10:44:37 pm »
These always-available-with-instant-playback devices can make re-assembly easier, too! [blush]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2017 27" iMac 3.8 GHz i5, 40GB RAM, Mac OS 10.15, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 08:14:58 pm »
Finished up today. I routed the FARS solar panel to the ISS and used it in place of the smaller one. That should keep it topped up on overcast days and long winter nights.

Update: I got repeated low battery notifications the last couple of days. Today, the ISS stopped transmitting to the console. I swapped wires back to the ISS solar panel instead of the FARS panel, and it started charging again and the console came back. I never bothered to check the output voltage of the two panels, and assumed the larger was likely higher.

I guess I ought to go check. But it is 92° out there, so I'll wait until after dark when it is cooler to check the solar panel output voltage.  [sweat2]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS - Skywarn -  UK Met Office
MWWN - PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hold it right there!! (Re: Davis VP 2 FARS rebuild with 110v Fan)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 10:53:47 pm »
Dear Steve and WeatherCatters with the most toys, . . . . . . .  [biggrin]

Finished up today. I routed the FARS solar panel to the ISS and used it in place of the smaller one. That should keep it topped up on overcast days and long winter nights.

Update: I got repeated low battery notifications the last couple of days. Today, the ISS stopped transmitting to the console. I swapped wires back to the ISS solar panel instead of the FARS panel, and it started charging again and the console came back. I never bothered to check the output voltage of the two panels, and assumed the larger was likely higher.

I guess I ought to go check. But it is 92° out there, so I'll wait until after dark when it is cooler to check the solar panel output voltage.  [sweat2]

[wink] . . . . . Hold it right there!  I see your problem! . . . . . . .  What you need is to spend some of those economic stimulus bucks on a super-deluxe multimeter like this! . . .

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3116.msg30074#msg30074

That way, the next time you have the slightest itch to measure a voltage, you'll immediately hop to it in order to play with your new toy!! . . . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2017 27" iMac 3.8 GHz i5, 40GB RAM, Mac OS 10.15, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 08:25:50 pm »
I'm retired on fixed income. Stimulus money paid the bills. ;)

I already have two very good multimeters: my Dad's iconic 1960s Simpson 260 analog meter. And a 1980s Beckman DM45 (same accuracy and features as the Fluke 75 - today's Fluke 175.) My employer's parent company, Emerson Electric, at the time owned Beckman Industries, and was Fluke's main competitor along with BK. So I got it at a discounted price.

The ISS solar panel's output was 1.67V when I measured it, and the FARS solar panel's output was 1.86V, but was very inconsistent. It either has bad cells or a broken connection. Further investigation will follow. I suspect the larger panel has more wattage capability, but no easy way to check that.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS - Skywarn -  UK Met Office
MWWN - PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Bummer dude! . . (Re: Davis VP 2 FARS rebuild with 110v Fan)
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 11:41:46 pm »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat "economists" who stroll down memory lane,

. . . .
. . . . Same accuracy and features as the Fluke 75 - today's Fluke 175.
. . . .

[wink] . . . . Bummer dude!!  I didn't realize that inflation was now so bad that it has even spread to model numbers! . . . . . .  lol(1)

Seriously, thanks for sharing that little historical snippet of the electrical/electronics industry and glad that your station is back to purrin' like a kitten! . . .  [cat]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]