Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + w/24 hour FARS rebuild with 110v Fan  (Read 4860 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Davis Vantage Pro 2 + w/24 hour FARS rebuild with 110v Fan
« on: June 02, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
I'm following in Edouard's footsteps and replacing the third battery powered fan in the 24Hr FARS with a 110v computer fan. I figured while I had it out, I'd tear it completely down and clean it for the first time in almost nine years!  :o

More details as I get things cleaned up.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + w/24 hour FARS rebuild with 110v Fan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:53:26 PM »
Looks like a good job for the pandemic! Thanks, again, for those 'footsteps'!

Let's see that work area after you complete the project. Wonder how many pieces will be left over...  [lol]

My wife found a very short, recessed hex-head screw in the washing machine a few weeks ago. I had no idea where it came from... until yesterday when I was trimming some shrubs! That's when I noticed the cutting blade was not touching the 'anvil' on the other side. Sure enough, there was a missing screw and all the others had a matching head design! Moral: Always keep those "extra" parts, you will eventually discover where they should go! [rockon]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »
Let's see that work area after you complete the project. Wonder how many pieces will be left over...  [lol]
Only the batteries and the Davis fan. Maybe the solar panel if I don't come up with an easy method to tie it in parallel to the ISS panel.

Moral: Always keep those "extra" parts, you will eventually discover where they should go! [rockon]
I have umpteen boxes of leftover bits from various projects, including an entire MG engine!  [biggrin]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ya' sure? . . . . . (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 110v Fan)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:39 PM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, and WeatherCat DIY types, . . .

I'm following in Edouard's footsteps . . . . .

;) . . . Awe shucks, . . . . . I'm flattered! . . .   :)

. . . . . and replacing the third battery powered fan in the 24Hr FARS . . . 

Hmm, . . . . . I do suspect that Davis does have a quite a racket in replacement batteries . . . . .

with a 110v computer fan.

[wink] . . . . . . I dunno' . . . . . .  Ya' sure you want to hook up that fan directly to 110 volts?  . . . . . . Just a guess, but I think you'll get much more life out of it if instead you connect it do a 12 VDC power supply instead! . . . . . . . . . . .  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  On the other hand, you could use a 110 volt fan . . . . . . . something like this:

But that might be just a bit too assertive for you or your wife - never mind the temperature/humidity probe!   lol(1)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Ya' sure? . . . . . (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 110v Fan)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:05:34 PM »
Ya' sure you want to hook up that fan directly to 110 volts?  . . . . . . Just a guess, but I think you'll get much more life out of it if instead you connect it do a 12 VDC power supply instead! [/font][/size]. . . . . . . . . . .  lol(1

Yep. Here's what I'm using, along with the optional 45° plug. Ten minutes with a file to remove a bit of the lower fan and in it goes!

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/mechatronics-80-x-25mm-ac-115v-fan-uf80b12-bth

That will get me five plus years between fans, and at $16 vs $49 every three years, I think that's a good option.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Egg on me! . . . . . (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 110v Fan)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:18 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat DIY types,

Yep. Here's what I'm using, along with the optional 45° plug. Ten minutes with a file to remove a bit of the lower fan and in it goes!

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/mechatronics-80-x-25mm-ac-115v-fan-uf80b12-bth

That will get me five plus years between fans, and at $16 vs $49 every three years, I think that's a good option.

Golly!  I didn't know anybody was making small fans like this that would run directly on 110 VAC!  Indeed very interesting!  Okay, I was being silly - surprise!   [biggrin]  But this time I learned something!  There are a number of potential uses around our house for a small fan like this - so thanks for the tip!   [tup]

P.S.   ;)  Nonetheless, you'll have to come up with something much more assertive if you want the bragging rights of the baddest super-macho fan-aspirated weather station around! . . .  lol(1)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
Nice work, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

I am using that same fan in my my media cabinet. I connected it to a manually operated thermostat dial so I could change the temperature at which it kicks on. I set the T-stat when I installed it and have never adjusted it since then. It's lasted 13 years so far. Now that I've mentioned it, it will probably die tonight.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:50:40 PM »
 Good to know it has lasted so long for you, John. I’m sure outside environment will shorten that some.

Finished up today. I routed the FARS solar panel to the ISS and used it in place of the smaller one. That should keep it topped up on overcast days and long winter nights. I took apart the filter on the hygrometer and cleaned it all out. The whole thing hasn’t been this clean since new almost nine years ago.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
Well done. Very nice! ThU32:-) You can work on my kit, anytime! [rockon]
You'll likely need to wear Sunglasses when near that thing!! 8)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 07:39:35 PM »
Wow! That kit sparkles like it was brand new. Thanks for the photos!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Nice and shiny! (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 rebuild with 110v Fan)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 11:19:55 PM »
Dear Steve, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Finished up today. . . . . .

Looks good!  How did you secure the new fan?  You don't seem to use any of the mounting holes.

. . . . .
I took apart the filter on the hygrometer and cleaned it all out. The whole thing hasn’t been this clean since new almost nine years ago.

Wow! That kit sparkles like it was brand new. Thanks for the photos!

WOW is right!  That's just cleaning?  It looks like you used a wax or polish of some sort.  Whatever you did it - it really works!

Thanks for sharing!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 12:42:28 AM »
How did you secure the new fan?
That's probably a trade secret! OTOH, it may be a "two-part" formula...

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Nice and shiny! (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 rebuild with 110v Fan)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
How did you secure the new fan?

Highly scientific studies revealed that the one thing guaranteed to keep it in place is... gravity.

That, combined with a bit of friction from carefully filing the tips of all four corners on the lower mounts keeps it snug. You can see how little was removed in the "before" photo. Works great! :)

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »
I too am a fan of gravity. Can't really recall any specific experience I've had without it.

Your re-rigging and installation fo that fan is a very cool idea. Thank you sharing and including the before and after photos.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Steve, Blick, and WeatherCat DIY types,

. . . 
Your re-rigging and installation fo that fan is a very cool idea. Thank you sharing and including the before and after photos.

Yes indeed!  Thanks Steve for sharing! 

I certainly encourage everyone else who has to do some maintenance to bring their camera or smart phone along and share with us any interesting upgrades you end up doing.  We all learn from one another and it brings the WeatherCat community closer together.