Author Topic: Latest iOS update turns WeatherCat app black  (Read 4513 times)

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Latest iOS update turns WeatherCat app black
« on: May 18, 2020, 03:47:19 PM »
Hello,
After many years of the app working without a problem, the most recent iOS update seems to have messed with the background of the app.  Not sure what to do about this?
Any ideas?
Jay
iOS Version - 13.4.1

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Latest iOS update turns WeatherCat app black
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »
Appears normally in my iPhone 6s, iOS 13.4.1. Perhaps there is a setting in the app to force the use of "Dark" mode? Or, in Settings->Display & Brightness, you have "Dark" mode only enabled? Or the switching is set, in Options, to a custom schedule?

BTW, did you know you can reduce the size of an image without needing any graphics app? Simply open the image in Preview (control-click, if needed). Select->Tools->Adjust Size. ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
There are 2 problems: (1) the latest release is not setup properly for Dark Mode and (2) the bars go off the right side of the screen.

I'll fix them and post a new release to the App Store within the next few weeks.

In the meantime, if you switch to Light Mode, you'll be able to read the screen.

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 04:23:52 AM »
How about reposting v1.6?

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
In the meantime, if you switch to Light Mode, you'll be able to read the screen.
I can confirm changing to 'Light Mode' does work-around the issue.  What is odd is that I have had the Dark Mode setting on since I got this phone over a year ago and until this last iOS update the app worked fine.  Not sure what Apple did but they certainly changed something.  Glad to hear a patch is in the works.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
What is odd is that I have had the Dark Mode setting on since I got this phone over a year ago and until this last iOS update the app worked fine.  Not sure what Apple did but they certainly changed something.  Glad to hear a patch is in the works.

You ask why WeatherCat looked no different in the previous version (1.6) with Dark Mode off or on, but not in the latest version (1.7).

Apple adds new features in iOS releases, but still supports apps that were put in the App Store before the new release came out. When WeatherCat 1.6 came out, there was no such thing as "Dark Mode". Since then, Apple came up with iOS 13 and Dark Mode. Apple in all their gracious forbearance did not expect that older apps would know anything about Dark Mode, so Apple ran them in iOS 13 as if Dark Mode didn't exist. When WeatherCat 1.7 came out, iOS 13 and Dark Mode did exist, so Apple "expects" 1.7 to support Dark Mode. Yours truly didn't expect this and consequently did not do anything about Dark Mode. So yours truly will learn about how to implement Dark Mode and include support for it in the next release.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
Hello,
After many years of the app working without a problem, the most recent iOS update seems to have messed with the background of the app.  Not sure what to do about this?
Any ideas?
Jay
iOS Version - 13.4.1

The latest update, WeatherCat 1.8, fixes this issue by making the display visible in Light or Dark Mode.