Author Topic: Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?  (Read 1260 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?
« on: April 14, 2020, 10:07:01 pm »
Dear WeatherCat users who are also handy with electrical problems,

Yesterday, I needed to check the current draw on my sister's 2009 Chevy Cobalt.  When I pulled out my Sears multimeter, it reported absolutely zero current.  Here is a picture of the "patient."

As you can see it is one of those "made in China" items.  However, I can't complain too much.  It was purchased sometime after I moved to San Diego in 1996.  Fortunately, I still have my Dad's older multimeter:

I don't know when this was purchased, but I think it likely it was purchased around or before 1970.  Here is the Wikipedia article on the history of Lafayette Radio Electronics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Radio_Electronics

As you can see, Dad kept the tester in its original box and it is in very good condition considering it did get used.  I was able to read the current draw on my sister's car with it.

In the meantime, I am in need of a replacement of my current digital multimeter.  I could purchase another Layafette Radio Electronics tester:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LAFAYETTE-Radio-Electronics-20-000-OHMS-per-Volt-Multitester-99-5008/174248888030

However, I think I would prefer something more modern.  Any recommendations for a multimeter that can be expected to last 25 years or so?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
Re: Recommendations for a quality electric multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:46:34 pm »
Call me a pessimist and certainly a poor judge of age, but do you actually expect to still be using a multimeter that long? [lol] Somehow, I imagined you to be a bit over 65... :P Frankly, there may not be anything around in 25 years that you can even put the probes ON!! [banghead]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:42:56 am »
I use the Fluke brand (they have versions to fit most any need and priced accordingly) but I don't expect any of them to last 25 years if used frequently.

Discounted prices at:  TEquipment.net

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Felix and WeatherCatters who meddle with electricity, . . .

Call me a pessimist and certainly a poor judge of age, but do you actually expect to still be using a multimeter that long? [lol]
. . . .

;) . . . . Of course not!  But that's because Jesus's paradise is just around the corner and it absolutely, positively has no: electrical failures, viruses of any sort, potholes, wildfires, bureaucracy, etc., etc., etc., etc. . . . . . . . . .

I use the Fluke brand (they have versions to fit most any need and priced accordingly) but I don't expect any of them to last 25 years if used frequently.

Fluke is a well known brand and it was also recommended by someone on the 65GS.com forum.  So since paradise hasn't exactly blossomed in the past 5 minutes.  I'll have to take a closer look at the Fluke offerings.  Thanks for the suggestion and vendor recommendation!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.14.4/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 01:54:28 am »
Amen!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS 10.15.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:04:57 pm »
I bought mine from Sears by accident. Walked into the store and it was on sale. Lasted 13 years so far, but I also Fluke  gear for replacing mine when it gets as old as yours.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Need to decided on a model. (Re: quality electric multimeter?)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 10:39:20 pm »
Dear Blick and WeatherCatters who have to deal with electricity and electronics,

. . . . I also Fluke  gear for replacing mine when it gets as old as yours.

Thanks to Felix, I got as far as looking at the offerings from TEquipment.net.  Indeed they even have Amazon beat by a significant percentage:

https://www.tequipment.net/

Alas, I am being ambushed by a combination of renewed customer hoarding and a painfully rapid arrival of the dry season.  I still have not been able to go back try to understand the features of the various Fluke models in order to decide which one to buy.  On this afternoon's queue is still repairing a drip system.  Today isn't looking promising either.

Oh well, . . . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Bought a Fluke 117. (Re: Quality electric multimeter?)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 11:20:53 pm »
Dear WeatherCatters who also need to be handy about electricity.

Just to bring this thread to a neat conclusion.  After spending some time researching my options, I ended up purchasing a Fluke 117 multimeter.  I took Felix's advise and bought it from TEquipment:

https://www.tequipment.net/

They had Amazon beat by a few bucks and threw in a free soft-sided carrying case.  Here is a photo of the 117 and the case in their original packaging:

At first, I was a bit intimidated by the manual:

However it includes instructions in 9 languages!

I gave it a first test by measuring the voltage of trusty wagon's battery with the trickle charger connected:

The "hold reading" feature was very handy for this.  There was no way I could hold the test leads on the battery and still take the picture!

Here is one last picture of the multimeter in its case:

It isn't the best fit, but you can't quibble with the price!  For my needs that will be just fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers, Edouard   [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS 10.15.7 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 12:23:59 am »
Nice. Thanks for bringing this to a conclusion, with photos.
Blick