Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 2883 times)

coveredinoil

• Gentle Breeze
    • IGILLI17
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 wireless, iMac running mac os catalina
Hello from the UK
« on: April 11, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
Hi,
Many thanks for letting me join, I have already learned loads by looking around.
I have wanted a weather station for many years but never had any spare cash that i could justifiably use. Then just last week i was offered a second hand Vantage pro2(with USB datalogger) free! :o
I'm told it was working when last used mid to late 2019, so set about giving it a go. I put a new station battery in it and gave it a clean up, the temp/humidity sensor is not working so have ordered a replacement.
Next step was to hook it up to the iMac, this is where WeatherCat comes in, i can see my (working) parameters in WeatherCat but as yet can't upload anything to WU,WeatherCloud or PWS, for each the status is waiting for a response or some such. If i load up Weather Snoop 5 (trial as price is a bit steep) data is uploaded to each web service. What am I doing wrong or can anyone give me a few pointers?
Thanks in advance.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »
Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Sorry you are having upload troubles. I am uploading to all three of those services so we know this feature works. Hang in there..

One thing we have noticed about uploading to WU from WeatherCat is complicated WU account passwords don't seem to work. If yours is complex, try changing it to a short simple one and see if that gets you out of the gate with WU. However, as you are unable to upload to WeatherCloud and PWS, that might indicate something more complicated with the setup. I assume you can see all your WeatherCat data on your iMac?

If you have enabled Log FTP Operations in WeatherCat | Preferences | Misc2 then you can check the WeatherCat logs in the Console app in Utilities. Open the Console and expand ~/Library/Logs. Then scroll down to WeatherCat. You will see 8 logs, covering today and the previous 7 days. You should be able to scroll through and find our what is being recorded to the log when WC attempts to FTP to the three services you are trying to access.

If you haven't yet enabled Log FTP Operations, there won't be anything to see. Enable it, wait a while, and then go look for the FTP messages in the log. Edouard, who is way smarter than me (but only in certain things), will likely log in later today and have other things for you to check.

Let us know as you make progress.
Blick

coveredinoil

• Gentle Breeze
    • IGILLI17
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I had seen the bit about passwords and Wu so had changed mine, but to no avail.
FTP logging is checked, There are a number of lines related to the failed temp/humidity sensor and this ” ***WARNING*** WeatherCat was not able to fetch all the weather data from the hardware after repeated tries.” Is this what is stopping the data being uploaded? I was thinking (dangerous!) that it would upload the data it has and skip the missing (as weather snoop5 appears to do). Hopefully the replacement will be here soon before my trial period runs out.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need working Temperature/Humidity sensor. (Re: Hello from the UK)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
Dear coveredinoil, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Many thanks for letting me join, I have already learned loads by looking around.

By all means, welcome to the WeatherCat forum! . . . .

. . . . the temp/humidity sensor is not working so have ordered a replacement. . . . .

. . . .
There are a number of lines related to the failed temp/humidity sensor and this ” ***WARNING*** WeatherCat was not able to fetch all the weather data from the hardware after repeated tries.” Is this what is stopping the data being uploaded? . . . . .

Unfortunately, WeatherCat will not upload data to online services that could be faulty.  Without valid temperature and humidity data, WeatherCat will stop right there and wait for the data to become valid before proceeding.

When do you expect your replacement Temperature/Humidity sensor to arrive?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »
Great insight Edouard.

Coveredinoil, if you go to the WC pulldown menu tabled Tools, and open up the Status tool, it will show you the number of Comms Errors and Sensor Errors you have received since starting WeatherCat.You should be accumulating a bunch of Sensor errors and possibly Comms Errors as well. These will cease to accumulate once the issues are resolved.

You can also use the tool Live Data to get more information about each type of error. See the manual pages 83, then 36 and 37, in that order.
Blick

coveredinoil

• Gentle Breeze
    • IGILLI17
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:58:13 AM »
Thank you elagache and blicj11. ThU5:-)

The coms errors are 0 and sensor errors accumulate over time as expected, so hopefully once the replacement sensor arrives (3-5 working days) after the bank holiday and hopefully not held up too much by covid19 issues I will have a day or so of the evaluation period to check it works. 🤞