Author Topic: Text result in synthetic channels  (Read 1737 times)

RichardF

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus; additional temp and temp/hum sensors; Unihedron SQM-LE and AAG CloudWatcher provide synthetic channels. Hosted on Mac mini
Text result in synthetic channels
« on: March 07, 2020, 07:47:32 PM »
I have made synthetic channels to interrogate (with AppleScript) another weather-related app designed for astronomy. It delivers some interesting variables including darkness level (measured in magnitudes per square arc second) and infrared sky temperature.

The other app makes an evaluation of cloudiness based on the sky IR temperature (Clear, Cloudy, Overcast). This is also accessible using AppleScript and is returned as a text string.

To me it would be useful to compare this to the sky conditions evaluated by WeatherCat (based on estimated cloud-base height).

However, the AppleScript engine in WeatherCat does not return a text value, presumably because a synthetic channel cannot hold a text value, only a number.

I would like to suggest that synthetic channels/AppleScript results be allowed to have text values.

cheers,
Richard

cheers,
Richard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need to be patient. (Re: Text result in synthetic channels)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:35:48 PM »
Dear Richard and WeatheCat faithful,

Since this is your first posting, let me welcome you to the WeatherCat forum! 

I have made synthetic channels to interrogate (with AppleScript) another weather-related app designed for astronomy.

. . . .

I would like to suggest that synthetic channels/AppleScript results be allowed to have text values.

Your AppleScripts sound very interesting.  I used to be an avid amateur astronomer and hope to return to it someday.  Your request sound very reasonable.  There is however one problem.  Our fearless leader Stu (Stuart Ball, WeatherCat developer) has been utterly overwhelmed by his day job for a long time now.  He was hoping the situation would calm down sometime this spring, but until then, WeatherCat is on the back burner.

So please do be patient and hopefully your suggestion will get a response in the not too distant future.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]