Author Topic: WeatherCat RCP app for Apple Watch??(with complication)  (Read 5750 times)

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
WeatherCat RCP app for Apple Watch??(with complication)
« on: January 10, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Would dearly love to see Weathercat RCP work with Apple watch (it does install but shows a black screen with no info) and to add a complication as well. That way I could monitor
at home conditions on a real-time basis on my watch...

Would also be happy to beta test if needed and pay for the outcome too!

[woohoo]

--jenna

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: WeatherCat RCP app for Apple Watch??(with complication)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Would dearly love to see Weathercat RCP work with Apple watch (it does install but shows a black screen with no info) and to add a complication as well. That way I could monitor
at home conditions on a real-time basis on my watch...

Would also be happy to beta test if needed and pay for the outcome too!

[woohoo]

--jenna

You need to wake up WeatherCatRCP on your iPhone to get it communicating with WeatherCatRCP on your Apple Watch.

If you get the black screen on your watch after selecting the WeatherCatRCP watch app, open WeatherCatRCP on your iPhone and go to Settings. After a few moments, you should see a line of green text along the bottom of the Settings screen: "Watch installed: Y  paired: Y  activated: Y  reachable: N" At this point, the WeatherCatRCP watch app will display. Once you have "awakened" WeatherCatRCP on your iPhone, you should not need to repeat this step to see in on the Apple Watch until ?

I understand that you would like to see a WeatherCatRCP complication on your Apple Watch. I would too. I never could figure that one out.  [blush]

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
ERMAGERD!~!!!! 

IT WORKS!

[roll]   [bounce]

Many many thanks.

--jenna   [woohoo]

PS. no worries about the complication....i am happy!!! [tup]

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »
Don't forget that the WeatherCatRCP Apple Watch interface can be customized using WeatherCatRCP on your iPhone. Select the "Classic" screen in WeatherCatRCP/iPhone. Your watch mimics the order of the channels on this screen. You can move and hide channels on the Classic screen and they will change the corresponding order and appearance of the channels on your watch. For example, if you want "External Temperature" to appear first on your watch, move "External Temperature" to the top of the table on your iPhone.

After you've edited the "Classic" screen in WeatherCatRCP?iPhone, you can move on to the other screens in WeatherCatRCP/iPhone and your changes to the Classic screen will be saved.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
Don't forget that the WeatherCatRCP Apple Watch interface can be customized using WeatherCatRCP on your iPhone...

If I once knew that I had forgotten. Thanks for sharing Grand.
Blick

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
What is weathercat RCP and where is it?
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
What is weathercat RCP and where is it?

WeatherCatRCP gives you 13 ways to view your personal weather station data from WeatherCat 3 on your iPhone:

Alerts - a list of weather alerts that you have created and their status.
Basic Graphs - 13 graphs of weather data including temperature, wind speed, and precipitation.
Channels - 70 measurements ranging from external temperature to annual rain to communication status.
Classic - 20 channels of weather data in the "classic" WeatherCat for iPhone format.
CTW - Custom Text Windows that you have created in Weather 3.
Custom Graphs - all the custom graphs that you have created in WeatherCat 3.
Dial-A-Stat - hundreds of weather observations for periods ranging from daily to yearly.
Options - tailor the appearance of graphs and images.
Reports - 4 customizable text reports of your weather data and weather conditions.
Settings - select weather data units and which WeatherCat server to use.
System Data - get the status of your weather station and the WeatherCat host software.
Tags - 107 weather measurements including barometric trend, hours of daylight, and forecast.
WebCam - the latest image from your weather station webcam.

WeatherCatRCP also supports the Apple Watch.

You can find WeatherCatRCP in the Apple App Store at
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathercatrcp/id1218064724?mt=8

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
Chet:

It's also the quickest and easiest way to view your WeatherCat data when you are either away from home or at home, but not in front of your computer. I'm a huge fan.
Blick

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2, Mac Mini (2018), macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
WeatherCat 0n the Apple Watch is absolutely awesome!

Thanks for bringing it. WeatherCat Rules!

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:07 PM »
WeatherCat 0n the Apple Watch is absolutely awesome!

You made my day. Thank you!

stepheng

• Calm
    • IMALVE27
  • Station Details: Clas Ohlson - Fine Offset WH1080, now Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 02:43:19 PM »
I note that this thread is somewhat old but i have an Apple Watch SE 40mm and am stuck with just a black screen with boh the WeatherCat app which i have used successfully on my phone for many years and similarly with WeatherCatRCP (which I agree has a lot more functionality). I do get the green line at the bottom of the settings screen as shown earlier in this thread with Y Y Y N for the four statuses. Any suggestions?  I have tried restarting the phone app.

stepheng

• Calm
    • IMALVE27
  • Station Details: Clas Ohlson - Fine Offset WH1080, now Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
OK.  I seem to have solved this, and it was nothing to do with the WeatherCat app (or the WeatherCatRCP app).

I also discovered that the remote camera app was not working on my Apple Watch - similar symptoms - a black screen and I went through the suggested troubleshooting steps for that found on the Apple Discussion forums, namely, killing the iPhone Watch App and Camera App, shutting down both the Watch and Phone and then restarting both.  This enabled the camera remote app to work.

The Apple Watch version of the WeatherCat app started working although I notice it requires a tap or two to force it to connect/reconnect to the phone.

I was still having some problems with the WeatherCat RCP app on both the watch and the iPhone, but further troubleshooting showed that I wasn't getting any responses on port 49255 of my iMac running WeatherCat (although this has worked perfectly in the past - I've played around with the RCP interface for fun), and my remote WeatherCat clients were working (and therefore it was unlikely to be any firewall issues).

Restarting WeatherCat resolved this problem.  It seems that for some reason the WeatherCat RCP server had stopped / crashed.  I noticed another report of that on this forum.  Perhaps there should be a watchdog process to check for this and restart it (as with the main WeatherCat)?  I'm not sure whether it is even a distinct process as it wasn't obvious from calls of ps or top/

Having got all these issues out of the way everything seems to be working as designed.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 03:33:59 PM »
Great trouble-shooting!!  [computer] And a huge “Thank you” for reporting how you got things back to normal! A fine example of how ‘help forums’ are supposed to work!! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 04:05:04 PM »
OK.  I seem to have solved this, and it was nothing to do with the WeatherCat app (or the WeatherCatRCP app).

Having got all these issues out of the way everything seems to be working as designed.

I love it when a WeatherCatter figures out a solution. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Mac OS Monterey
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 12:45:38 AM »
is it possible to have weathercatRCP connect to WeatherCat over cellular if my phone isn't connected to my home wifi?
WU:  KAZPHOEN133