Author Topic: WeatherCat's email Settings need help Gmail  (Read 166 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
WeatherCat's email Settings need help Gmail
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:30:18 pm »

Hi WeatherCattersI had to go to Satellite to get internet and now I can't any email settings to work tried Highesnet and gmail can't get neither to work.
If someone knows the server setting for gmail that will work please post.
or tell what I need to get it going again
I have tried
smtp.gmail.com
Port 465 or 587
Display name : Randall McElroy
Account Name : my full email address
Password : ********
with no luck

thanks for any help

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Mojave | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat's email Settings need help Gmail
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:43:46 pm »
Randall:

Can't tell from your email if you are having trouble in WeatherCat or in Mail settings in macOS.

If your trouble is in WeatherCat, have you tried this?

smtp.gmail.com
Port 587
Authentication box checked
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Mojave | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:06:00 pm »
Hi Blicj
 I'm having trouble with both but right now my main concern is with WeatherCat getting it going
I have even reinstalled it delete plist and replace with a Time Machine backup of it
Getting to old for all this

thanks will check the url's you posted and see if they help I may have already been to them and tried

cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »
Your satellite provider tech support should be able to tell you the settings. If memory serves correct, and it probably doesn't, you use of those ports with SSL and the other one without.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:31:40 pm »
Hi Blicj and WeatherCatters

Got it fix
For gmail to work with WC I had to go to my Gmail account under settings security and turn on to use with less secured app access in gmail they don't recommend it but it now works maybe something for Stu to look into

Again thanks for your help

cheers [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 03:47:58 pm »
Excellent news!

Randall, don't worry about turning on less-secure in the gmail account. That is simply Google's marketing pitch to get you to download the Gmail app rather than using Apple's Mail, or Outlook, or whatever mail app you are using. The Gmail app is no more secure that the one you are already using. They are just trying to scare you into turning all of your digital life over to them so they can send you even more targeted ads than they already do and sell your underwear size to Tommy Johns.

Glad you are up and running again.
Blick