Author Topic: New Kit  (Read 3107 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
New Kit
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
I have already opened my Christmas present from my wife because I couldn't wait any longer. New iMac! Just used Migration Assistant to move data but not apps. All went well. When I went back to check the WeatherCat move against the wiki, I found everything in the place I excepted it to be. When I fired up the Cat, it purred smoothly! The only suggestion I have for the Wiki article, Edouard, is to clarify for a new WeatherCatter that before you move any files, you need to close out of WeatherCat on the old computer. That happened automatically for me with Migration Assistant. I haven't used Migration Assistant before. I always booted up one machine in Target Mode and used the drag and drop method. This time I just decided to go for it and everything worked perfectly.

I wish each of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Even you Exairbusdriver.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: New Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »
Great to hear of some un-eventful transitions! And congrats on the new hardware! [cheer]

Seems your wife has good taste, at least in computers!
cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congratulations! (Re: New Kit)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, and WeatherCat fans of more!!

I have already opened my Christmas present from my wife because I couldn't wait any longer. New iMac!
. . . .

Congratulations!!  [tup]

Just used Migration Assistant to move data but not apps.

Okay, I'll take the bait.  Why not move all the apps as well?  You can just as easily delete anything you don't want after it is moved over.

The only suggestion I have for the Wiki article, Edouard, is to clarify for a new WeatherCatter that before you move any files, you need to close out of WeatherCat on the old computer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "close out?"  If you want to edit the wiki, you can always do that.  I won't mind!

I wish each of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Even you Exairbusdriver.

By all means John, I wish you, your wife, and your whole family a Blessed Christmas and happy new year.  However, perhaps I can't do better than with the Christmas card that you'll find here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=392.msg29617;topicseen#msg29617

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »
 ThU32:-)
Reinhard

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
Very nice Blick - congratulations.

The presents still under our Christmas tree are too small to contain a new iMac :( so to at least give it a new feeling, I decided to upgrade the 'old' one (27", late 2012) to Catalina instead.

Since it did collect quite a bit of rubbish over the years (I bought it with Snow Leopard) I decided to do a true fresh install:
- copy the 'Documents' and one or two other folders (e.g. Music, Web site) with personal files to an external disk (I keep all my photos on an external disk already)
- make a list of all Apps I want to keep (and check for 32-bit ones)
- ensure the TM and Cloud backup are up to date, then disconnect them.
- format the main (1.12 TB Fusion) drive
- Install Catalina
- Download and re-install all Apps
- Copy 'Documents' + other folders back onto the main disk
- Check if all works (for a day or 2)
- Reconnect the TM, and re-enable Cloud backup

All is working fine since. My iMac seems faster than before and I've freed up a few hundred GB of disk space. :)

Jos

P.S. WC was out of scope here, as it is running on a 'headless' Mac Mini.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 10:27:47 AM »
@JosBaz

Thanks for sharing - copied your list!  ThU32:-)

Cheers,
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
Thanks, JosBaz, I appreciate the list.

Edouard, Apple actually suggested I not transfer the Applications. They told me it was safer to reinstall them. And I didn't want all of them - some are still 32-bit.
Blick