Author Topic: Weather Underground password woes (???)  (Read 1769 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Weather Underground password woes (???)
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:56:32 PM »
Dear WeatherCat troubleshooters,

As reported elsewhere, my webcam is finally working once more as can be observed on my website:

http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_webcam.html

So that left what would seem to be a minor detail to straighten out: getting restored image to upload to Weather Underground.  A quick investigation revealed that the problem was that Weather Underground wasn't accepting the password for the webcam image.  Puzzled, I poked around on the Weather Underground website where I discovered that indeed I have a webcam device; however, something new has been added an: Upload Key.  In another location it is clearly specified that this is supposed to be password for your FTP uploads.  Of course nobody from Weather Underground apparently bothered to inform Stu of this change I would be curious to know if any weather software (or embedded device) supports this new password.

But wait, . . . . there's more!

Hoping to simply resolve the problem I decided to change my password, hoping it would reset both the weather station device and webcam.  I was able to change the password to my Weather Underground account without any problem.  However, when I put the new password into WeatherCat - Error!  Fortunately, I remembered the old password and when I put that in, I could upload data once more.

Thus is appears that Weather Underground has now at least 2 levels of passwords and each device has an independent password.  Alas, there appears to be absolutely no way to change the device passwords.

Has anybody else noticed anything weird about their data and/or images being uploaded to Weather Underground?  I would be definitely interested in anything folks know before I take that most desperate step and contact Weather Underground technical "support"  (sic) . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I learned one more modest but interesting thing on this quest.  At the bottom of the Weather Underground webpages is this statement: