Author Topic: Relocating and need to start fresh  (Read 256 times)

kmatley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage pro II, Dedicated Mac Mini
Relocating and need to start fresh
« on: July 28, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »
This is a stupid question because I've done this many times in the past, but I'm a lot older now, and can't seem to remember how to do it.
I've relocated to another state and am setting up my weather station at my new home. I need to move the records for my old station away from WeatherCat and start fresh with a new location, station name, and data. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro-2 Plus with FARS, Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temp Sta + WeatherLink IP. Sharx 3905 HD, HTNC4430XIR, 2x HTNC4503M, HTNC4410M webcams, controlled by SecuritySpy 5.0.1, WeatherCat 3.04, macOS 10.15 7 Build 19A546d (Catalina).
Re: Relocating and need to start fresh
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
Are you wanting help archiving your old data or just deleting it?

And are you moving to a new computer in the new location or just trying to figure out how to delete all references to your old WeatherCat location on the existing computer?

BTW, Edouard wrote a Wiki on moving to a new computer which has a great list of where to find about every generated WeatherCat file of interest.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear kmatley, Felix, and WeatherCat "born under a wandering star" types,

This is a stupid question because I've done this many times in the past, but I'm a lot older now, and can't seem to remember how to do it.

I do hope you haven't had to move too often!

I've relocated to another state and am setting up my weather station at my new home. I need to move the records for my old station away from WeatherCat and start fresh with a new location, station name, and data. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Felix has given you pointers in the right direction.  However, there is a potential wrinkle.

It depends on whether or not you would ever want to browse data from your old house with WeatherCat.  The best way to do that is either to create a dedicated "archive account" or perhaps an old computer.  If you won't ever look at that old data, all you need to do is delete your present installation.  There are instructions on "uninstalling WeatherCat" in manual which is Appendix-6 (page 214 in the current manual.)  In order to restart WeatherCat, obviously skip the step of deleting it.

Let us know if this resolves your problem or if you need more instructions.

Cheers, Edouard 

kmatley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage pro II, Dedicated Mac Mini
Re: Relocating and need to start fresh
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
Thank you, Edouard. That's exactly the refresher I needed.