Author Topic: Alexa Skill  (Read 3777 times)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Alexa Skill
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Hi there.

in the last 2 months I have filled home with Amazon Alexa devices. Looking for the various skills I found several related to the weather. I then tried to create my personal new skill to read the weather data and forecast from my Davis station but it's more complicated than I could have foreseen. Has anyone tried it or can try to make Alexa interact with WeatherCat?

Take the opportunity to wish you Happy Christams Holidays and Happy 2019.

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I spend too much at Amazon . . . . . (Re: Alexa Skill)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
Dear Federico and WeatherCat technology collectors, . . . .

in the last 2 months I have filled home with Amazon Alexa devices.

[wink] . . . . . Alexa!?!?!  AHHHH!!!  Take it away!  Take it away!  I spend way too much money at Amazon as it is!  I don't need any help with that! . .  lol(1)

Looking for the various skills I found several related to the weather. I then tried to create my personal new skill to read the weather data and forecast from my Davis station but it's more complicated than I could have foreseen. Has anyone tried it or can try to make Alexa interact with WeatherCat?

Seriously, I know of a number of people who really love Alexa, so I understand the fascination.  Has anybody managed to connect WeatherCat to it?

Nice to have you back on the WeatherCat forum and certainly hope you had a nice Christmas and will have a happy and fulfilling 2019!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Re: I spend too much at Amazon . . . . . (Re: Alexa Skill)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:38:06 PM »

Seriously, I know of a number of people who really love Alexa, so I understand the fascination.  Has anybody managed to connect WeatherCat to it?

Nobody at now Eduard but there is a on line skill creator for Alexa....the problem is that I've not enough skill about it!  [biggrin]
I'm sure that Stu in few minute can build an Alexa skill for let Amzon's can speak about local weather....anf than you will be forced to but an Echo Dot for less than 30€!!!  8)

Glad to read you again and best wishes again

Federico  [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: Alexa Skill
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
Ok, I have a file TXT on line with all weather data updated (temperature, pressure, wind, rain, forecast). I've tried https://www.getvoiceflow.com/ to build a skill to make Alexa read the contents of the TXT file, but to enter a URL where to find on line the text file to read I must use an integration with Airtable and API ...... and there I can not go any further.  :(

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good things come to those who wait! . . . . (Re: Alexa Skill)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:06:32 PM »
Dear Federico and WeatherCat seekers of every more capable gadgets,

Ok, I have a file TXT on line with all weather data updated (temperature, pressure, wind, rain, forecast). I've tried https://www.getvoiceflow.com/ to build a skill to make Alexa read the contents of the TXT file, but to enter a URL where to find on line the text file to read I must use an integration with Airtable and API ...... and there I can not go any further.  :(

Sorry that your own attempts didn't lead to an immediate solution.  But I'm sure you have attracted the curiosity of other WeatherCatters.  You may need to be patient, but good things come to those who wait!  Of course making sure we don't forget the project isn't a bad thing to do either!

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:37:06 PM »
Pain is Gain!

I've completed the Alexa Skill to read current conditions from weather station.

Now I'm waiting for certification and I hope they make it public as soon as possible.

Stay tuned...
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congratulations! (Re: Alexa Skill)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 10:31:09 PM »
Dear Federico and WeatherCat technology collectors,

I've completed the Alexa Skill to read current conditions from weather station.

Now I'm waiting for certification and I hope they make it public as soon as possible.

Congratulations!  ThU32:-)  I'm glad that you were able to figure out how to do this!  Do let us know when your handy work gets approved.

crawdad62

• Gentle Breeze
    • KINGREEN96
    • Sherwood PWS
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24hr. FARS with Foscam camera. Mac Studio Max
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
There's a skill. Personal Weather-Weather Underground PWS. It pulls your PWS data from WU. Works well (even though it was sort of a PITA to link up). Just ask "Alexa ask personal weather current conditions"