Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137689 times)

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
Hi,
yes and I know very well that in German all nouns for example should be capitalized. But you have to understand this is a compromise...
There is currently 18 languages available, each one has its own unique features.
Unless someone makes a complete localization, the translations will never be perfect. And making a complete localization, where you also have to make changes in the actual code, is something only the very big companies can afford to do if they sell millions of copies of their SW and employ hundreds of people... eg Windows.

The point of this is really just so that you "understand". There are many problems with the Czech translation too, probably even worse than German because we have many more cases and word endings. But it would take ages to make this perfect and more importantly - the problem here is not just my time, but other people?s time. If I wanted to include all the phrases separately, think about how many words there would be to translate, and I can assure you people wouldnt do it. Already there are many untranslated strings in many languages, simply because people dont have time or want to spend hours translating it and I cant do it myself because obviously I dont speak 18 languages...

Just one last example to illustrate my point:
The template is more or less intended to be 100% correct in English and consider this phrase:

10 hours ago
5 hours ago
2 hours ago
1 hour ago

In English you will have two cases - "hour" and "hours". However, in Czech for example you would have:

1 hodina
2, 3, 4 hodiny
5 hodin
etc.

and to make things worse, in Czech we put the preposition in front of the number, we dont say 2 hours ago, we would say "ago 2 hours" - and this is exactly the case where even a perfect translation will not help, you would need to make changes in the code so that the number is placed between the words, not in front of them.

I hope it makes sense

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
That double 30 is weird, it is a scripting library for drawing gauges, I will check it on Monday when Im in my office, I need a more powerful PC to do some testing. With regards to the Y Im not sure, when I look at your page it looks fine, which browser are you using and what screen siźe?

I'll take a look through the lib and see if anything sticks out later tonight and if i find it I'll let you know ...

As for the browser - that image was in Safari on an external 3440x1440 monitor at about 1/2 screen resolution... I've gone full screen and still same issue... I've also tested in Chrome and Firefox ... will need to test on MSIE on Windows when I get to work Tuesday (monday is a bank holiday here in the States)

I will go through my config file to see if I am limiting the width anywhere ... don't think so but who knows ;)

Thats strange, I use Chrome and Linux and I see it fine. I test everything in Chrome, FF and Opera, I doubt it will work in IE, it is usually the other way around, IE is a developer?s nightmare.

I see it ok on your site even if I narrow my window... strange

Maybe Apple doesn?t like MT Live Gauges :D Im gonna email Tim :D

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
Maybe Apple doesn?t like MT Live Gauges :D Im gonna email Tim :D

;D
Reinhard

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2016, 03:18:25 PM »
Ok - you posted right before me ... so yeah... It may be an apple related issue - let me test it out on  windoze and linux machines when I can ... may have to VPN into work but I should be able to give it a go tonight when I get home from a family thing ...

----

Now that I am going through this more...

Should the three icons above the thermometer (temp/feels like/dew point) change the thermometer's data to that information? If so this does not appear to be functioning ... I did a quick look through the javascript but didnt find anything that jumped out at me wrong...

The only odd bit is when I to click one the black border around the Humidity and Pressure gauges gets thicker...

all minor things aside this is an amazing bit of code that you got together in such a short time... I am really impressed man

[rockon] [rockon] [rockon]

Link to my implementation : http://weather.hoke.org/meteo/plugins/liveGaugesWC/index.php

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »
I tried all 3 browsers I use (Chrome, FF, Opera) and I tested on my latop with Linux and I also just checked on my sister's Win 7 and mom's Win 10.

All pages look perfect, numbers change when clicking the icon above the thermometer, DMY all aligned...

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2016, 03:26:15 PM »
You can try to increase the width of the DMY width, it currently has width of 90px, change it to something like 110.

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2016, 03:43:57 PM »
Ok ... fixed it

I changed to style width of class=guageWrapper from 90px -> 100px as suggested and all is good now

the thermo may have been user error - looks like it works now /shrug

I've swapped the index pages - so the working one is now http://weather.hoke.org/meteo/plugins/liveGaugesWC/index1.php as I've made index9 the new default as I like it more i think ;)

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 01:22:13 PM »
Jachym

I found something else wonky - on /pages/worldweatheronline.php the feelslike temp in the hourly forecast appears to be WAY off - almost like it is taking the current temp in F thinking its in C and reconverting to F

This only happens in the hourly table - in the daily (hit more) it seems correct ...

As this is a page, not a plugin, I dont see any config other than the config.php which has
$displayTempUnits = 'F';
$displayRainUnits = 'in';
$displayWindUnits = 'mph';
$displayPressUnits = 'inhg';
$displayCloudbaseUnits = 'ft';
$displayVisibilityUnits = 'mi';
$dataTempUnits = 'F';
$dataRainUnits = 'in';
$dataWindUnits = 'mph';
$dataPressUnits = 'inhg';

I've also included the wwoCache.txt file in case it helps

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
Hi,
the WWO page is discontinued and has been replaced by the Outlook plugin.

see: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=1163

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - new newsletter/updates
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
Hi guys,

hope you are all doing fine. I have just released a new newsletter issue where you can find all things that are new since last newsletter was published.

TIP:
I only send emails about newsletters, which include summary of what was new, this is because if I send emails about everything, you would very quickly be annoyed by the frequent emails and I definitely do not want to spam you.
If you really want to get all the updates immediately, then you can use the blog RSS channel at:
http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?feed=rss2

New newsletter:
http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=1249

Enjoy

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
Hi,
the WWO page is discontinued and has been replaced by the Outlook plugin.

see: http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=1163

Damn - i didnt see that - thanks ;)

I must have missed the Outlook link in the weather tab - it has the same font size/style as the other headings so I must not have realized it was a link ...  disabling the WWO in the menu for now until the menu.php is updated with 10

ThU5:-)

BTW - love the addition to the night sky plugin :) [cheers1]

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
For users who registered at WWO before March 2016 the page will work so I did not remove it from the menu for all, however, if you were using the trial, simply delete your WWO key from the main settings and the link in the menu should disappear.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
Hi all,

I am struggling to get the webcam page to work correctly. I followed all the instructions and created the cron job.

The script is creating jpg images of various sizes from 0 bytes to 106 mb. No thumbnails are being created.

My webcam page can be found here.

Anyone have any ideas?

ALAN.

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2016, 06:50:53 PM »
It could be that your server does not support or handle well the PHP GD extension, otherwise I dont really know why it should be doing this, I havent had anyone with a similar issue yet... how big is the image?

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
Hi Jachym,

I'm afraid I can't tell you what size the images are as I can't get any of them to load. I suppose this means the files are corrupted and not really jpegs at all.

ALAN