Author Topic: Weathercat 2 not opening.  (Read 7533 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Weathercat 2 not opening.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
Slavetothelight - the problems you are seeing with WeatherCat are symptoms of your failing hard drive - the problems may occur at a certain drive temperature or it may be when WeatherCat accesses a certain file - the indication of the this is the IO error posted from the kernel. The solution is either to replace the internal drive and restore from a known good data set, or boot and run off an external hard-drive (as I posted above).

Irving, Googling the Finder's -600 error shows a few cases of applications not opening with the same error, but no apparent cause (that I've been able to chase down). It may be worth contacting Apple - they'll know more about what this error means and may be able to suggest a solution.

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi Weather Folks

I was able to open WC1 and also WC2. Seem to open from the finder but not from the dock. Lots of strange things lurk in the heart of Mavericks.

Still have the serial adapter problem. Maybe I will buy a WH1080 which has usb.

Irving

xairbusdriver

• Storm
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 05:23:02 PM »
Dock items don't seem as flexible as simple aliases/shortcuts to their original items and their locations no matter the installed OS. Easiest solution is to just "Remove from Dock" and reinstall. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How old is your station? (Re: Weathercat 2 not opening.)
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 11:08:22 PM »
Dear Irving, X-Air, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I was able to open WC1 and also WC2. Seem to open from the finder but not from the dock. Lots of strange things lurk in the heart of Mavericks.

X-Air's advice is on the mark.  If the dock icon isn't working trying removing it and installing the WeatherCat icon from the working application.

Still have the serial adapter problem. Maybe I will buy a WH1080 which has

How old is your Le Crosse station?  Replacing it might be a good investment.  While the Le Crosse stations appear to be tough for their cost, they don't last forever.  The WH1080 stations are inexpensive, but WeatherCat users are able to use them with few problems and thus far a reasonable durability. 

I am sorry that serial to USB adapters are getting hard to come by.  I have a telescope and model railroad DCC setup that I could control with my computer if I could get reliable serial to USB adapters.  Both are now over a decade old and indeed the technology is passing them by.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]