Author Topic: Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?  (Read 6953 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:57:17 PM »
Some templates give you a choice of NWS/NOAA icons for graphic display of forecast weather. I like the "KDE" versions since they are round with transparent corners. They are larger files being .png rather than .gif, but that also gives them a much larger range of colors.

The intermittent problem I'm seeing is that there seem to be some icons missing from the set I have. It appears to be an icon for windy conditions. The result is not terrible, there is simply an empty area where the icon belongs. There is not even the 'missing graphic' question mark. [cheer] Still, I'd like to find the latest and greatest icon set which hopefully has the required icon. My set has their Creation date of 18 Jun 2013. Are there newer versions? Haven't been able to find any on the interweb. [banghead]

Thanks!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »
What does KDE mean?

I searched and got this.

[lol2]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:05 AM »
Yes, it is a widely used label. There are some operating systems that use the same letters <linkText>. OTOH, it may refer to the Kentucky Department of Education...  [lol]

The specific mention of these icons is in some of the  stand alone templates from Mr. van dear Kuil's noaafct files. I believe the icons were designed specifically for use as replacements for the .gif and .jpg images provided by NOAA. I can not find any mention of them in a rather lengthy inter web search, either. I have other problems, right now with SWMBO's MBP back up drives that requires my complete attention!!! :-|

I need to add some echo commands in the PHP file that will display the exact value that is added to the image link text. As the code is now, if the icon/text is not found, the link ends up with an image labeled "folder_containing_images/.png". Normally, there is a number between the "/" and the "."; the icon would be something like "241.png". The PHP looks at an array with certain words (found in the NOAA text) that are replaced with specific numbers used in the image names.

It is possible that NOAA has changed a word and the script can't find it in the array. It is also possible that there is a new word added and there is no matching number, yet. At any rate, it is intermittent, so it's difficult to find the missing/added word until that is used in a NOAA Warning forecast. [banghead]

I have another plan for comparing what NOAA provides and what are available in the KDE images. That simply must wait until after the current back drive crisis is resolved. [lol]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »
Whoosh! ? Right over my head.

[lol2]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
It's not as complicated as I describe it. [blush] The php 'simply' looks at the text NOAA/NWS sends for some 'key words' ("breezy with rain", "fog", "partly cloudy", etc.) and then changes the icon name variable as needed and spits out the html. When I have the time, and I notice the missing icon, I can edit the php to spit out what it 'thinks' the new value of the variable should be. It should be possible to then force the php to use a "generic" icon (901.png) to indicate there is no known image to display.

Apparently, there is an error in my copy of the php (most likely introduced by me!), since I haven't seen any reports of this from anyone else.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat tinkerers with code . . . .

Apparently, there is an error in my copy of the php (most likely introduced by me!), since I haven't seen any reports of this from anyone else.

In the voice of Yosemite Sam: . . . . .

That'll 'lurn 'ya!

Remember that wise maxim about software:

If debugging is the process by which bugs are removed from code, then programming is undeniably the way to insert bugs into code! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
Remember that wise maxim about software:

If debugging is the process by which bugs are removed from code, then programming is undeniably the way to insert bugs into code! . . .
Hmm. Interesting.

As I used to work with so called embedded programming, I was taught that:

"A code always contains at least one bug and
a code can always be shortened by at least one row
Which leads to:
Any code can always be shortened down to only one row ... which is a bug." [computer]

(...
Sorry to become completely off-topic now, but in case you did not know:
"Computer bugs" is named after the problems when real bugs crawled into the very first supercomputers. Insects crawled in by the vacuum tubes (warm and nice), and caused short circuits. Hence "debugging" back then was to actually go picking the dead bugs out of the computer racks. Things were more obvious.
https://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/126/lectures/history.html )

Ok, back to the thread now. Sorry for the interruption.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
I have that 'bug' text as an email signature. [tup]

I've downloaded the files, again and will go through them, one at a time, using BBEdit's 'compare' function to see if I can find any changes I made that would cause this.

As a last resort, I can use the NOAA images. However, those use the same array for selecting the image name, as far as I can remember. So the same problem should be seen, just with the uglier images, square 99.9% of the time. [rolleyes2]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
(...
"Computer bugs" is named after the problems when real bugs crawled into the very first supercomputers. Insects crawled in by the vacuum tubes (warm and nice), and caused short circuits. Hence "debugging" back then was to actually go picking the dead bugs out of the computer racks. Things were more obvious.
https://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/126/lectures/history.html )

Very intersting history of our most liked playtool - thanks for posting!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wikipedia on Grace Hopper. . (Re: Anyone have a location for "KDE icons"?)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
Dear Robert, X-Air, Reinhard, and WeatherCat "quickly distracted from the topic" forum users, . . .

"Computer bugs" is named after the problems when real bugs crawled into the very first supercomputers. Insects crawled in by the vacuum tubes (warm and nice), and caused short circuits. Hence "debugging" back then was to actually go picking the dead bugs out of the computer racks.

Actually the person given credit for coiling the word bug is given to Rear Admiral Grace M. Hopper:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

She was quite an amazing woman who was repeatedly called out of retirement to - I believe - become the first woman to reach the rank of Rear Admiral in the United States Navy.  She was one of the people who pushed for what would ultimately become the ARPAnet that lead to the Internet.

She was interviewed on the CBS news show 60 minutes in March of 1983.  I remember seeing it and being very impressed with her.

Ok, back to the thread now. Sorry for the interruption.

Well, maybe! . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
Ok, back to the thread now.
Not so fast! I started this thread! :o

I believe Grace Hopper, Rear Admiral, USN, Ret, Ret, Ret, also had a hand in developing COBOL.

"Ok, now back to the thread." [coffee]

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
Some templates give you a choice of NWS/NOAA icons for graphic display of forecast weather. I like the "KDE" versions since they are round with transparent corners. They are larger files being .png rather than .gif, but that also gives them a much larger range of colors.

The intermittent problem I'm seeing is that there seem to be some icons missing from the set I have. It appears to be an icon for windy conditions. The result is not terrible, there is simply an empty area where the icon belongs. There is not even the 'missing graphic' question mark. [cheer] Still, I'd like to find the latest and greatest icon set which hopefully has the required icon. My set has their Creation date of 18 Jun 2013. Are there newer versions? Haven't been able to find any on the interweb. [banghead]

Thanks!
@xairbusdriver
Back from vacation without decent internet, now it is time to answer your question.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39988
This is were all KDE icon-sets com from, last update of May 29 2006. Used on multiple sites and also in the Leuven-Template.

As you can see  the original set of icons is smaller as I modified the icons to show more conditions.
This is the link to the OLD-old Icon compare pages at http://www.weerstation-leuven.be/weather2/index.php?p=94&lang=en
The default (KDE based)  icon-set used is at the "Default" tab. There is also no wind icon in the original set, so I added another icon for that.

NOAA changed a lot of icons a few months ago when they introduced the dual-icons when they start using two 6-hour weather-conditions in one 12-hour icon.

The current scripts display NOAA forecasts using KDE where the dual icon is replaced by the first condition
http://weather-template.nl/weather28/index.php?p=noaa_full_page&lang=en&wp=WS
or NOAA icons, where the links to the original icons is used:
http://weather-template.nl/weather28/index.php?p=noaa_full_page&lang=en&wp=VWS

There must be an error in your version and to help you find a solution, I need:
1. The URL-link to your forecast page
2. The location-folder of the scripts.

Wim

P.S. You could also use the Leuven-Template and display the forecast inside an iframe:
http://weather-template.nl/weather28/index.php?p=noaa_full_page&lang=en&wp=WS&ipad

There are other users doing that, here you can see a demo at: http://wiri.be/saratoga/wxleuven.php?lang=en
The last drop-down menu item displays some Leuven-Template pages inside the original Saratoga-Template.

You could even run the VP console script if you want to do that, the console script is also in the same menu item.
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
My Forecast page using the KDE icons (including the small ones):Mid-South Weather Forecast Looks similar your first linked page. My images show a Creation date in 2013, so I assume they include your additions. I added this comment in the last files set I got from Wim: 'blizzard'=>'432', added in 10/8/15 download.

There is also no wind icon in the original set, so I added another icon for that.
I think the missing icon occurred when there were higher winds forecast. Perhaps that's the one I'm missing and there is actually a new set available. Since it is a rare occurrence, it's somewhat difficult to 'nail down'.

I do have a set of "wind" images that deal with the small 'directional arrows' that are used in the week-at-a-glance graphic above the more detailed listing. Those seem to work fine.

The location of the images is an "img" folder at the root of my site. The pertinent (I think) noaaSettings.php is as follows:
Code: [Select]
if (!isset ($wsmyfolder) ) {
$wsmyfolder = '../'; // originally './'
}
# icons
$myImgDir = $wsmyfolder.'img/';
$myIconsDir = $wsmyfolder.'img/';
#
$myDefaultIconsDir = $myIconsDir.'default_icons/';
$myDefaultIconsSml = $myIconsDir.'default_icons_small/';
$myDefaultIconsExt = 'png';
When the NOAA forecast file is parsed, and there is no matching icon, the src then contains an image label of '/.png' which would be a 'hidden' file/directory and it is not even recognized at an image. Fortunately, that prevents the annoying and mostly useless "?" (missing image) display. ;D

Lastly, this forecast page uses a 'stand-alone' set of scripts, not a full template. Not sure if that makes a difference. Perhaps the full site templates use iFrames, not sure why that is needed or even desired. [blush]

Thanks for you input.

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
What I need to check the scripts is the location of the scripts, such as startNoaaFull.php and noaaPlainGenerateHtml.php
They are not in the root http://mid-southweather.com/
In what folder are the scripts stored: http://mid-southweather.com/folder????/????

Wim
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »
What I need to check the scripts is the location of the scripts, such as startNoaaFull.php and noaaPlainGenerateHtml.php
Here are some of the files at the root level of the site, as far as the forecast scripts and files are concerned. Note that I do not have a "startNoaaFull.php" file, perhaps you are referring to the "printFull.php" which is used to created the "myforecast.php"? The "img", "noaa_forcast", and "forecast.html" directories/files are all at the same level:
Code: [Select]
img/
    default_icons/
    default_icons_small/
    NOAA_Icons/
    NOAA_Icons_small/
    wind_icons/
    wind_icons_small/
    sunrise.png
    sunset.png

noaa_forecast/
    cache/
    lang/
    myforecast.php
    noaa3.css
    noaaDigitalGenerateHtml.php
    noaaPlainGenerateHtml.php
    noaaSettings-original.php
    noaaSettings.php
    printIcons.php
    printPlain.php
    printSmall.php
    startLeuven.php
    wxStartNoaaFct.php

forecast.html
<body id="top">

<div id="content">
<div id="content_main">
<div class="header">
<h1>7-Day Forecast</h1>
<h4 class="warning_text" style="margin-top:0;">Never base important
                                        decisions on this or any weather information obtained from a non-
                                        NWS site!</h4>
<?php include './WX-date-time-String.php'; ?>
</div>
<div class="centered_menu bottom_pad">
<ul class="dropdown">
<li><a href="./index.html">Current Conditions</a></li>
<li><a href="./gauges.html">Current Gauges</a></li>
<li id="current_page">Forecast</a></li>
<li>?remaining menu items?</li>
</ul>
</div>
<p style="clear:both;line-height:0;margin-top:-1em;">&nbsp;</p>