Author Topic: WeatherCat activity  (Read 3747 times)

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
WeatherCat activity
« on: November 12, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
So, running iMac with 10.10. I have 12 meg ram. I'm noticing a slow down with beachballs especially in Safari, but even in finder actions. I reset the SMC and zapped PRAM, rebooted and things are not much better. Using Activity Monitor, I notice that WeatherCat pops up to 38% CPU every few minutes. Is this normal? It might be around the time that WC uploads to Wunderground, but not every time. Is there something going on that I can adjust in WC? Using WC 2.01 Build 30.

BTW--Got a beachball in the middle of typing the last sentence and had to wait about 5 seconds...weirdness.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Check your memory situation. (Re: WeatherCat activity)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
Hi Mtn.Marty and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

So, running iMac with 10.10. I have 12 meg ram. I'm noticing a slow down with beachballs especially in Safari, but even in finder actions. I reset the SMC and zapped PRAM, rebooted and things are not much better. Using Activity Monitor, I notice that WeatherCat pops up to 38% CPU every few minutes. Is this normal? It might be around the time that WC uploads to Wunderground, but not every time. Is there something going on that I can adjust in WC? Using WC 2.01 Build 30.

BTW--Got a beachball in the middle of typing the last sentence and had to wait about 5 seconds...weirdness.

It sounds like you use your Mac for general computing.  Do you keep an eye on your free memory?   My MacBook Pro has only been running 2 days on Yosemite and it was down to 500 MB of RAM out of 16 GB.  I used to run a free memory manager program, but I gave up on it because it was really Nagware   [rolleyes2].  However, I may go back to something.  It appears that Yosemite is even less competent about keeping enough free memory so that your applications can run smoothly.  The beachball syndrome you describe sound very much like the process to reclaim inactive memory.

Let us know if that is your troubles.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
Re: WeatherCat activity
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:12:59 AM »
I run an app called memory clean.  It seems to keep track and help free memory based on a threshold you can set. It puts a little menu bar icon with a memory meter too.  Works fine for my uses.

nowait

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »
Hi Cat fans
 I run Memory Pro and it does a great job for me my 2 cents worth

cheers

[cheers1]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Evidently I do have some sort of memory leaks (problems). Why this has happened all of a sudden I do not know. I've been using Yosemite for a couple of weeks without any problems. Now there is so much sluggishness. I installed Memory Clean and it first showed that I only had 29 MEG of free memory. After cleaning it shows I have 3.8 GB and is running a bit better. I am still getting slow downs occasionally. I'll give it a go for awhile and see what happens. You'd think 12 GIG of memory would be enough, no?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the memory app suggestions. (Re: WeatherCat activity)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
Hi Mtn.Marty, Randall, and nowait, . .

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Evidently I do have some sort of memory leaks (problems). Why this has happened all of a sudden I do not know. I've been using Yosemite for a couple of weeks without any problems. Now there is so much sluggishness. I installed Memory Clean and it first showed that I only had 29 MEG of free memory. After cleaning it shows I have 3.8 GB and is running a bit better. I am still getting slow downs occasionally. I'll give it a go for awhile and see what happens. You'd think 12 GIG of memory would be enough, no?

Well, there is an easy way to think the situation through.  Did you have any problems before upgrading to Yosemite? . . . .

WeatherCat is continuing to use more and more memory on my computer.  It wasn't doing that on Mavericks.  Apple released Yosemite before it was really ready for prime-time.  :(

Hi Cat fans
 I run Memory Pro and it does a great job for me my 2 cents worth

Randall, are you using this utility?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freememory-pro/id486967844?mt=12

I run an app called memory clean.  It seems to keep track and help free memory based on a threshold you can set. It puts a little menu bar icon with a memory meter too.  Works fine for my uses.

I assume this is the utility you are referring to - right?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean/id451444120?mt=12

I'm going to do a little research before selecting any utility.  Type "memory" into the Mac App store and there are 316 hits!!  I'll need come up with some criteria to deal with the multitude!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Mtn.Marty

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4707
    • KNCASHEV25
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »
Some additional info: Since installing Memory Clean I've had a better time of it, keeping about 3 GB of free memory. But I still get occasional stalls that I now believe are due to Safari. Firefox does not seem to have such a memory leak. This afternoon when coming back to my iMac after being away for hours, there was only 60 MB of memory free and I had to run the utility again to recover memory. Something is defiantly up.

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Yes.  I assume this is the utility you are referring to - right?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean/id451444120?mt=12 from FIPLAB is the one I am using.  I use it at work to free up memory while using virtualbox.

nowait