Author Topic: DAVIS NOT FOUND  (Read 3059 times)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
DAVIS NOT FOUND
« on: June 15, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Hi everybody.
My old iMac (late 2006, OSX Lion) dedicated to weather station can't start because of a videoboard problem (ATI on board). If I start iMac in secure mode (with shift) machine start and run without problem but WC can't find my Davis and in the WC panel thEre aren't USB ports available (no more silicon labs UART port). I've dowloaded and reinstalled Silicon Lab driver but without results. Maybe in secure mode OSX can't see/use 3rd part drivers....?

There is a way to run WeatherCat in Secure Mode?

Thanks in advance.....
Federico
Perugia, Italy

iccb

• Gentle Breeze
    • S??tilanne Eurassa
  • Station Details: Mac Mini (late 2018), Davis Vantage Pro2
Re: DAVIS NOT FOUND
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
Im not sure, but maybe the secure boot switchs off the usb ports?..

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Other USB devices but Davis are running. UART USB 201x is present in system features list but not in WeatherCat port list, so I belive that the problem is 3rd party driver and not USB ports......

I don't know why system boot and run only in secure mode but I think is a logic unit problem. I'm wondering to run WC with secure boot.......
Federico
Perugia, Italy

iccb

• Gentle Breeze
    • S??tilanne Eurassa
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »
Have U tryet it in other usb port? :)

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
..yes!  [banghead]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

iccb

• Gentle Breeze
    • S??tilanne Eurassa
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Ok. Maybe like U said, os x dont load 3d party drivers in secure boot...

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Driver won't load in safe mode. (Re: DAVIS NOT FOUND)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Hi Federico and WeatherCat fans,

My old iMac (late 2006, OSX Lion) dedicated to weather station can't start because of a videoboard problem (ATI on board). If I start iMac in secure mode (with shift) machine start and run without problem but WC can't find my Davis and in the WC panel thEre aren't USB ports available (no more silicon labs UART port). I've dowloaded and reinstalled Silicon Lab driver but without results. Maybe in secure mode OSX can't see/use 3rd part drivers....?

I don't think there is any way to connect to your weather station in safe mode.  Safe mode disables the loading of all drivers.  That's a feature not a bug since of course the drivers could be the cause of the problem you are trying solve.

So I'm afraid you are going to have to resolve that video board problem before you can get do your weather station.  If it is any comfort, you have some time to do that before your data logger will completely fill up.  Here is the information on how much time you have depending on your sample interval:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Capacity_of_the_Davis_data-logger_to_store_weather_data_depending_on_the_chosen_sampling_interval

Good luck Federico!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 06:12:47 AM »
Thanks Edouard, that's as I supposed…..

I contacted someone who says be able to repair the logic unit and recover video board. I'm waiting for reply…….
Maybe lose a few days of weather data at this time due to the data logger but this is a minor problem.

Thanks again and cheers!

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I contacted someone who says be able to repair the logic unit and recover video board. I'm waiting for reply.

Federico, let us know how that repair turns out. Sometimes, the right guy can work magic.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Good luck Federico (Re: DAVIS NOT FOUND)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
Hi Federico, Blick, and WeatherCat Davis fans,

I contacted someone who says be able to repair the logic unit and recover video board. I'm waiting for reply…….

Hope that works out.  Fixing hardware is getting difficult because of the complexity.

Maybe lose a few days of weather data at this time due to the data logger but this is a minor problem.

If you have sample interval set to 5 minutes, you have a little under 9 days of storage on the Davis station itself.  Hopefully that's enough if your guy can make the repair quickly.

Good luck Federico!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]