Author Topic: New Hardware Advice  (Read 107 times)

Dave13

  • Gentle Breeze
  • **
  • Posts: 91
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
New Hardware Advice
« on: September 28, 2026, 01:32:18 AM »
My Davis VP2 is very old, the LCD on the console no longer displays properly and that part is no longer available.
The console is still receiving data from the ISS and the data logger is working with WeatherCat, but I figure it is only a matter of time before it gives out completely.

I'm looking for advice on what current wireless weather stations are compatible with WeatherCat?

Blicj11

  • Storm
  • *****
  • Posts: 4123
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Sonoma 14.8.9 | WeatherCat 4.0.0 | Supportive Wife
Re: New Hardware Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2026, 04:32:49 AM »
Hi Dave:

According to the manual, WeatherCat currently supports the following stations:

• Davis Vantage, Vue and Envoy stations. WeatherCat also supports the
WeatherLinkIP data-logger.
• Fine Offset WH1080 and variants. This station is sold under a variety of brands
including Maplin (W96GY), Ambient Weather, Conrad, Clas Ohlson, Watson
(W8681) and others.
• Fine Offset WH3080 and variants – this station has solar and UV sensors and again
is sold under a variety of brands.
• La Crosse WS23xx range of stations.
• Oregon Scientific WMR 928/968 stations.
• Oregon Scientific WMR200 stations
• Oregon Scientific WMR88 stations
• WeatherHawk stations equipped with an IP server module.
• Instromet MetPlus stations.

I know it also supports the Ecowitt hardware.
Blick


Dave13

  • Gentle Breeze
  • **
  • Posts: 91
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: New Hardware Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2026, 06:54:37 AM »
Hi Blick,

My post was in a bit of a rush so I need to clarify my request:

I would like to know what wireless weather station hardware others are using with WeatherCat, other than Davis, and how reliable it has been with accuracy.


Blicj11

  • Storm
  • *****
  • Posts: 4123
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Sonoma 14.8.9 | WeatherCat 4.0.0 | Supportive Wife
Re: New Hardware Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2026, 05:30:14 PM »
I am a VP2 guy so others will need to help you out with that.
Blick


elagache

  • Global Moderator
  • Storm
  • *****
  • Posts: 6725
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ecowitt is certainly an option. (Re: New Hardware Advice)
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:41:58 PM »
Dear Dave, Blick, and WeatherCat faithful,

Sorry for the belated reply but a quick comment.

. . .
I would like to know what wireless weather station hardware others are using with WeatherCat, other than Davis, and how reliable it has been with accuracy.

I run both Davis and Ecowitt so that I have the extra sensors.  Stu has commented favorably on the Ecowitt stations:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3673.msg35074#msg35074

Here is the website for Ecowitt:

https://www.ecowitt.com/

If you want to run it with WeatherCat you need to have a Ethernet Wi-Fi gateway in addition to a console if you want it:

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/336#

I ended up buying this sensor array and console:

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/251#

I bought it somewhat by accident but I'm pleased with the results.

In my case I was particularly anxious to obtain the air pollution sensor:

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsPage/1/36

Thus far, the US west coast wildfire season has been uneventful, but I prefer to be vigilant than otherwise!

I don't think Ecowitt equipement is as accurate as Davis, but it is quite good.  If you want to get your weather equipment back in operation at a modest cost it is well worth considering.

Edouard

Dave13

  • Gentle Breeze
  • **
  • Posts: 91
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: New Hardware Advice
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:10:52 PM »
Hi Edouard,

Thank you for the information, this certainly gives me options for replacing my old hardware when the time comes.

Do you know if the lightning sensor is compatible with the HP2564? https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/251#


Dave