Author Topic: Connect WeatherCat to station by WiFi USB  (Read 1379 times)

oamaru

• Calm
  • Station Details: TESA clone WH1080
Connect WeatherCat to station by WiFi USB
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »
Hi All.
I want to move my weather station base module to a room distant from my Mac computer.  It is too far to use a USB extension cable.  Is it possible to connect through a shared USB connection on my WiFi router?  My weather station is a Tesa 1080. 
Cheers

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Connect WeatherCat to station by WiFi USB
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:25:22 PM »
Someone else on this forum will certainly know more than I do. I don't know the answer to your question because I am using I am using a different data logger that you. I use version 1 of the IP Data Logger. However, I was able to connect my data logger to the ethernet port on an old Apple Express that was plugged into an electrical outlet on a different floor than my Mac. WeatherCat had no problem receiving the uploads. So I'm hoping your situation may be similar. However, it may be that the USB logger has to be plugged directly into your Mac.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
No known success. (Re: Connect WeatherCat to station by WiFi USB)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:43:56 PM »
Dear oamaru, Blick, and WeatherCat network administrators,

I want to move my weather station base module to a room distant from my Mac computer.  It is too far to use a USB extension cable.  Is it possible to connect through a shared USB connection on my WiFi router?  My weather station is a Tesa 1080. 

The question does come up periodically.  The last example I could dredge up this this one:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2782.msg26999#msg26999

Unfortunately, none of the USB over IP solutions that I've seen appear to be particularly practical or cost effective.   A quick web search confirms that the situation hasn't changed much.  Here is one vendor of software to do this:

https://www.net-usb.com/usb-over-ip/

Here is the software mentioned in that earlier thread:

https://www.virtualhere.com/home

This is a software solution only.  You would have to come up with an old Mac or other computer to make the physical connection and run the software.  Unless you have some old hardware lying around that you could repurpose for this task, it will be very expensive.  Even if you have the hardware, the software isn't exactly cheap.

If you have your heart set on the move, you might find this worth the effort.  However considering the complexity, it might be time to come up with another plan.

Sorry, such are the conditions that prevail.

Edouard