Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1974 times)

s_steve

• Gentle Breeze
  • Retired computer scientist and Unix geek
    • IMUEAN125
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac 27". Sensors are 150 Meters from the house.
Introduction
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
Greetings and salutations to all.  I bought my first Davis setup in 1986 while living in Nashua New Hampshire.  In 1997, I moved to Cupertino CA with the same Davis Monitor.  The big move came in 2009 when I moved to Ban Phe, Thailand.  This was when I bought a Davis Vantage Pro2.  I moved again in 2019 to Sukhothai province in Thailand.  Wunderground Station ID:IMUEAN125.

I agree that WeatherLink from Davis is pretty useless, especially since they broke the MAcOS version.  It hasn’t changed since I first used it in 1986.  When I was using a Windows machine, I used Virtual Weather Station and I liked it a lot.  However, I switched to a Mac, and there is no Mac version of VWS.  After shopping around a bit, I settled on WeatherCat.  I like it, however it could use some additional optional gauges. A screenful of round dials is kinda boring.

It’s really hot here, 42°C in the afternoon
Davis VP2.  Two seasons here in Thailand ... hot and dry, and hot and wet. Wunderground ID; IMUEAN125.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 02:14:44 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, s_steve! Sounds like you must have escaped the debt collectors by now!! We moved a lot in our younger years to do that! cmu:-) My wife and I made a way to quick trip to your area between Dec 27 and 31! She had a health problem and we flew straight(!) back to the US from Siem Reap! Even in December it is "warm"! At least it is drier then! We spent a couple of years in the P.I. back in the '70's. Loved to 365 day growing season! A gardener's paradise!

I use only 14 gauges and they're on a website, so I don't see them all the time. I suspect you have them on your Desktop screen? I know others do that. OTOH, I was a pilot and even the early digital models I flew still had round displays of many items, even though they were in large screens. We called the actual round displays "steam gauges"! So the type WC offers are just reminders of past joys! Since WC already has another type of gauge, perhaps the dev can break that code into something we can use for custom output. Be sure to use the WeatherCat Feature Requests threads to post a suggestion. Please remember, he is a one-man shop and has a real job to support his family! ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum s_steve. My  bother lived in Korat for two years in the late 60s; that's the closest I've come to that part of the world.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Introduction)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »
Dear s_steve, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat welcome wagon,

By all means welcome s_steve to the WeatherCat forum!

I'm glad that you found WeatherCat to your liking and that you found our forum!  [cheer]

I like it, however it could use some additional optional gauges. A screenful of round dials is kinda boring.

It’s really hot here, 42°C in the afternoon

Sorry that you are in search of variety for your data display.  Have you explored the custom graphs feature?  Most of us find that much more useful than simply knowing the instantaneous value of any given weather parameter.

Alas your location will tend to be quite warm.   [sweat2]  It is certainly an extreme contrast with New Hampshire!

Once more welcome!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]