Author Topic: Apple's new "Legacy System Extension" Warning in MacOS 10.15.4  (Read 4005 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/25/mac-legacy-system-extension-warning/

Upon updating to 10.15.4 last night, I found warnings for Malwarebytes, Logitech (for my Harmony remote), Drobo, and, relevant to many of us, Silicon Laboratories.

I don't know if I'm on the current USB to UART, as they all seem to have the same designation. Mine is CP2102 with product ID 0xea60, version 1.00, serial number 0001.

Hopefully, these will be addressed before MacOS 10.16

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Apple's new "Legacy System Extension" Warning in MacOS 10.15.4
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
Good luck trying to contact Drobo tech support. I haven't had success reaching them by phone lately.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
Steve,
Press the Option key and move your cursor over the black Apple on your menu bar. That should change the first item from "About This Mac" to "System Information...". When the System Info window comes up, look for "Software" in the left-hand list. In that section, scroll as needed to find "Extensions" and click that label. You will now see an alphabetized list of extensions, at least one of which will be your SilabUSBDriver. If there is one or more, look at the "Loaded" column for the one that says "Yes". It should also have "Yes" in the "Notarized" column and "Identified Developer" in the "Obtained from" column.

I don't think mine is the newest and I'm still running Mojave macOS 10.14, anyway. But here is my info on my Silab driver:
Code: [Select]
Version: 408.250.3
Last Modified: 8/22/18, 10:37 PM
Bundle ID: com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient
Notarized: Yes
Loaded: No
Get Info String:408.250.3, Copyright © 1999-2016 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Obtained from: Apple
Kind: Intel
Architectures: x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/
Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext
Kext Version: 408.250.3
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Software Signing, Apple Code Signing Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
Since yours is still working, it's gotta be 64 bits. It may be that it is an older one not correctly or currently signed?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Steve, Blick, X-Air, and Apple longtime faithful,

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/25/mac-legacy-system-extension-warning/

Upon updating to 10.15.4 last night, I found warnings for Malwarebytes, Logitech (for my Harmony remote), Drobo, and, relevant to many of us, Silicon Laboratories.

I don't know if I'm on the current USB to UART, as they all seem to have the same designation. Mine is CP2102 with product ID 0xea60, version 1.00, serial number 0001.

Hopefully, these will be addressed before MacOS 10.16

I'm sure that Apple thinks it is being very clever in such changes, but is it really so wise?  This would be a another example of imposing some unnecessary burdens on an industry that is already struggling and it isn't like the economy is in very good shape at this point.  There is absolutely no reason why Apple couldn't continue to support 32-bit apps.  If Crossover can support 32-bit Windows apps on Catalina - enough said.  Of course kernel exploits are potentially extremely dangerous, but exactly how common are they?  Couldn't Apple come up with a way to support legacy extensions in cases were the developers simply don't have the resources to port to the new framework - it doesn't seem like such a difficult problem.

Most of us are familiar with George Santayana warning:  "Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it. "

However, given the dire circumstances we find ourselves in, perhaps this needs to be revised in an even more ominous way: "Those who scoff at the past may not have a future."

Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:46:13 PM »
@xairbusdriver - Thanks, I looked under System Info -> USB for teh information above. I never thought to look in Software. I'm at version 5.0.3, so 2-1/2 years old. Any problems moving to the current version from February, guys?

@Edouard - From what I understand, this is to add a level of security that was there previously and then removed. Most consider it a good thing.

Not a problem for at least a year, anyway.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
version 5.0.3
I suspect that is the 32-bit one. Silab has developed one that will work in Catalina and even Mojave. I've not had any problems with the one I have which is 64-bits. I thought System Info extensions list had a column labeled "64 bit" or some such, that may have been back in macOS 10.13 High Sierra. [rolleyes2]

I still have an old version of the extension, version 3.0.0d1, but it is not installed nor even loaded. The one I'm using is not much newer, in version numbers, than yours; 5.0.4 vs your 5.0.3. The Release Note History and other handy details are on on-line this text file. As it shows, I am way behind as far as updates go. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
New users/upgrade users may have to be more concerned with Apple's rumored move to custom ARM processors in multiple laptop and desktop models in the 2021 - 2022 time frame. If that moves beyond the rumors arena, it will be interesting to see how Apple handles backward compatibility. But, for sure, 32-bit software won't be supported. Ample notice has been given.

We may go back to reliving the 2000 OSX PB followed by Cheetah.