Author Topic: Davis WLIP datalogger error and fix with 6555  (Read 4852 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Davis WLIP datalogger error and fix with 6555
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:51:02 PM »
Hi all,
Interesting news from Davis:
"Everyone using a WeatherLinkIP datalogger (p/n 6555) with their Davis weather station.

Details:

Your WeatherLinkIP datalogger has a critical bug that will prevent it from keeping its time properly synched with Davis servers and cause it to stop uploading historical archive records. You may have noticed that when downloading archive records into your PC software or looking at archive records on weatherlink.com that they are not entirely up to date. This firmware patch will fix that and ensure your weather station clock stays accurate and in synch."

The only issue of course is that their fix is a .exe file. I don't use my WLIP to feed into my computer (I have a direct USB connection from another console), but I do use a WLIP to feed weather info to one part of a webpage. I assume this is a bigger deal for folks who signed up for Davis' "Pro" level on waetherlink.com as then if you were looking at historical data there might be an issue.

I wonder about Mac support though - so I e-mailed Davis just to see what they'll say.
We'll see!

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Davis WLIP datalogger error and fix with 6555
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
Let us know what Davis says. I'm also using the IP data Logger but not for weatherlink. I have very recently used it for uploading historical records to WU and it worked great.

To my knowledge Davis has never released firmware updates in any other format than .exe files. They have always said either  take your console to your Windows-using friend's computer for the update or send your console to them and they will update it for you. Not a very Mac-friendly group IMO.
Blick

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:34 PM »
Hi

Reply to my email from Davis :

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. Unfortunately, we only have a firmware updater available for Windows PCs. 

If you need to update your IP firmware and you do not use a Windows based machine you can do any one of the following.

Find a Windows PC on the same network your WeatherLinkIP is connected to and update from that PC.
   Bring a Windows PC laptop into your network and update from that PC.
   Use Parallels or Bootcamp on your Mac to run Windows and the WeatherLinkIP updater program.
   Take the console and WeatherLinkIP datalogger to another network and use a Windows PC at that site.
   Send your WeatherLinkIP datalogger to our service center for us to update the firmware.

You will only need to send us the datalogger itself, you can hold on to your console.  Call and get an RMA and instructions from us at (510) 732-7814 | M-F 7:00am to 5:30pm pacific time

I realize these options are not ideal and if nothing else is possible at your end we are happy to update the firmware here in our service department.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Bruce Johnson
Technical Support Representative
(510) 732-7814 | M-F 7:00am to 5:30pm PT
support@davisinstruments.com

www.davisinstruments.com
3465 Diablo Ave, Hayward, CA 94545

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | LinkedIn

*If you need to reply, please be kind enough to use the REPLY (or REPLY ALL) , keep the full mail intact and don't change the subject. It makes our job much easier to see the whole conversation
**If you are replying to an ongoing issue, feel free to reply to this email.  If it is a new issue, be please email support@davisinstruments.com  so the next available technician can help you.

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:13 PM »
Hi all-
Must be a standard reply as I read it essentially as:
a. Buy a windows computer
b. Use a friends windows computer on your network
c. take to a friends house who has a pc
d. Send to them the WLIP and they'll (eventually) fix it and send back
Thanks, but No thanks
LOL
Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 12:00:34 AM »
Unless you are uploading to weatherlink, this firmware update is not going to do anything you need.
Blick

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
That is correct.

Using WeatherCat as my software, I can access data with correct timeframes. My WLIP does upload to Davis' Weatherlink site, and I get the "free" version and can see the station details live. To get historical data and charts, one needs to pony up $80 US. year to Davis. If one did so with a Mac, you'd now be scrambling...

Bill

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi

Personnaly  i don't send data to weatherlink server and other
I use just weathercat and no problem  ;)

[cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Hi there-
I send the data to Davis simply so I can get the remote readings from my own station.
I use WeatherCat and that makes up most of my weather website, but it is fun to have the Davis live feed on there as well.
If you look at my webpage:
http://www.billcurry.ca/weather
You'll see the Davis feed under the "Current" tab.
That bit is coming from my second console, the one with the WLIP attached.
Like you, though, I don't use Davis' program to store data, so the historical data error doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »
Fellow IP Data Logger users:

I have an update on this firmware issue, which I will get to later in this post. But first, I'll share how I got there in the first place.

When I woke up yesterday morning, thankful for one more COVID-19-free day at our house, I noticed that I had several thousand Comms Errors, and the WC WatchDog had tried, unsuccessfully to restart the Cat. My console was correctly displaying weather data from the ISS. The green light on the IP data logger was flashing, indicating that data was being sent from the console, but it was apparently not being received on my Mac. I tried rebooting the Mac, which didn't help. I then had to leave for the entire day and by the time I got back home, no magical self-repair had occurred. I tried using a different ethernet cable and also using a different ethernet port on the Mac. No change.

This morning, I was the first person to call Davis Tech Support after they opened up for the day. Bruce (the support guy) asked me if I had updated the IP Data Logger firmware according to their January notice. I said I had not done so because I thought it only mattered if one was uploading weather data to WeatherLink. He said that whilst that was true in one sense, the data logger itself does not recognize the year 2020 and so it is stamping everything with the year 1920. Current data is correct, but historical data has the wrong time stamp. I assume this has not been an issue for us WeatherCatters because it does not appear that any of us are uploading to WeatherLink and our data has been properly stamped by WeatherCat. However, Bruce thought I should upgrade the firmware anyway.

He then walked me through putting the console in Setup Mode, removing the batteries, removing the AC power, and removing the data logger. We waited two minutes, reseated the logger, and then put everything back the way it was. WeatherCat, absolutely the very best weather software for macOS on the market, immediately started to upload historical data from the logger and we were back in business.

Bruce said that sometimes the buffer from the data logger gets stuck and this is how to unstick it.

When I asked him if they still had no way for macOS users to update firmware, he said they now have a way for us to download and install the IP Data Logger firmware update. He sent me an email and this is the relevant section:

For our non-windows based friends ... we do have a tool for the MAC that is in beta. If you would like to test it, here is the link:

http://toolbox.davisinstruments.com/downloads/Weather/firmware/MAC/WLIPUpdater115.zip

If you do try this, please give us some feedback as to whether it worked or not. It is critical that this in installed.

I haven't decided if I want to do this or not, because as far as I can tell, WeatherCat is handling the data correctly. I am not a great believer in fixing what ain't broke. However, I would love to hear what the rest of you IP Data Loggers think about this new development.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
While that process is in The Envoy Manual (page 15, Communications Problems, the Envoy's diagnostics), I vote for Blick to add a fairly short "Unclogging a stuck Console" entry in the Davis area of the Wiki. [computer] I also vote to compensate him for adding an entry in the Wiki. ThU32:-) Is there, perchance, any automatic 'cost-of-living' increase in that (or other compensatory) fee(s)? ::)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Blick! (Re: Davis WLIP datalogger error and fix)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 10:20:21 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air and WeatherCat faitfhul,

Thanks Blick for sharing your experiences with Davis technical support and especially the link to the beta Mac updater for the WeatherLink IP data logger!   ThU32:-)  I'm glad that Davis responding to this situation.  It is sad nonetheless to see that Davis left what amounts to a Y2K bug in their data logger firmware.  I wonder what other leftover Y2K issues are lurking all over the embedded Internet.

Thanks again!  [cheer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 07:29:39 PM »
I have, at Edouard's suggestion, written two Wiki articles regarding the Davis WeatherLinkIP™ data logger as there are two issues discussed in this thread. The new articles can be found here:

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_reset_a_Davis_WeatherLinkIP_data_logger_and_other_troubleshooting_tips

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_upgrade_a_Davis_WeatherLinkIP_data_logger_to_the_latest_firmware

I have included my customary charm and wit in each article at no extra charge.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thank you! (Re: Davis WLIP datalogger error and fix with 6555)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 09:42:51 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat faithful,

I have, at Edouard's suggestion, written two Wiki articles regarding the Davis WeatherLinkIP™ data logger as there are two issues discussed in this thread. The new articles can be found here:

Thank you!  ThU5:-)

I have included my customary charm and wit in each article at no extra charge.

[wink] . . . . . With all the price gouging that is going on these days that's especially appreciated! . . . .  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »
Hi all-
We got back from a hugely shortened trip to Florida from Nova Scotia (due to the pandemic) and I got a note from Davis telling me they now had a Mac version of the required updater.
I've run it a couple of times and used differing "things" to try to make to work but alas, no luck. The old WLIP was being used as I described in the initial post - just as a kind of backup to directly send info to the Davis Weatherlink website from my 2nd console.
I tried running the update and it simply doesn't find the WLIP no matter what I tried.
Davis did offer me 25% off a new WLL (the new Weatherlink live bluetooth connection device), but even then I can go to other dealers and do better than their price.
In the end, since it was only a backup, I simply re-wrote my "Current" page (the second page on my website) to change back to readings from my main console which is connected directly to my iMac, and deleted the Davis generated info from Weatherlink.
I guess in the end I just decided that the WLIP wasn't giving me enough to warrant the expense and headache of spending more money just to be able to report to Davis. The rest of the world can see my information because I use a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and my iMac and WeatherCat !
Thanks all - and comments on this or my website are greatly appreciated.

Cheers, and stay safe,
Bill

ps - Blick's commentary on the whole issue is worth reading. The reference to the Y2K bug and Davis doing an every 10 year re-visit is priceless! LOL

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »
Sorry about your Florida trip, but glad you are back home.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the so-called Davis macOS installer tool. Unfortunately your lack of success will not surprise anyone on this Forum, given Davis' long-standing disregard for anything originating outside of Redmond, Washington (the self-proclaimed bicycle capital of the northwest, home of Nintendo, and world headquarters of some other software companies, etc.).

I still like your website(s) - weather and photography.

Thanks for the nice words about the Wiki articles; I was surprised to see they both have 40+ views.

Stay safe, and that goes for all WeatherCatters.
Blick