Author Topic: Hard Drive iMac  (Read 6368 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hard Drive iMac
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
Great news, Randall. Generally, we all have to go through that once, and then we do something to minimize ever having to do it again.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad to hear that! (Re: Hard Drive iMac)
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Glad to hear Randall that you have WeatherCat running once more on your new iMac!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »
Never letting a dead-horse rest...
All data storage devices (Floppy disk/HD/Tape/Optical/SSD/etc.) will fail... it's simply a matter of when. :(
...Flash memory, just like hard drives (and any electronic device, for that matter), has a finite lifespan...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »
Never letting a dead-horse rest...
All data storage devices (Floppy disk/HD/Tape/Optical/SSD/etc.) will fail... it's simply a matter of when. :(
...Flash memory, just like hard drives (and any electronic device, for that matter), has a finite lifespan...
I read that CD would last 100 years under ideal conditions if it is recorded on.     I had an odd thing happen, since it is that time of the year.   I had two G-Force 6TB external with one being  for the Time Machine.   A couple of weeks ago, I was noticing when I got up that  error message the computer rebooted due to an error. So I looked and nada.   Then one day it was very slow with nothing but the basics running and noticed my Time Machine drive had disappeared off the desktop.  The light was on, but no one home.    So   I played with the cables, (thunderbolt 3), switched them, tried it usb, rebooted.

Came to the conclusion it was a dead drive.  Fortunately I am also using BackBlaze and of course the icloud backup so I am covered.   I went out to Apple and tried a 6tb LeCie (it looked cool on the desk top)  but it wouldn't mount.  So it went back and I got a smaller version 4tb.

The guy at Apple said it was SSD but it isn't . It is a regular drive in a small case.  Anyway,  it works.   The other G-technology is only as what I put there, alll my weather data is on the documents folder to back up to the cloud..   Any way it is starting to chatter like the other did which now has me a bit spooked as is it going to fail too?

So  I made sure I had a copy of everything there, elsewhere in the doc folder on imac.     Maybe I'll invest in a low sized external or not.   I used to have a website, but it got too costly and Wim seemed to be pissed at me when I wanted something else ,a tweak or help.   So  that being that, plus the cost of the drive, I gave up quickly.     Then I used the drives for data storage.

I have  decided that protection of data is important.  Hopefully everyone has a good UPS with surge protection for their computers,  their data backed up  regularly and I see  Wcat does have that provision.  Do save your data as when it is gone, bye bye.

On a side note,   it seems on most of the TV shows, schools and hospitals some have iMac's.  What is lacking i compatible software, especially in the weather area.   Some kid could make a bundle.

Time for some chicken soup. Good for me and no one I knew.   I make it myself (not the chicken) but the soup
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary