Author Topic: WC alerts  (Read 1210 times)

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Mac OS Monterey
WC alerts
« on: October 01, 2022, 11:09:10 PM »
please make it possible to receive WC alerts by text message.  emailing them seems antiquated and isn't working for me.

thanks much.
WU:  KAZPHOEN133

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
  • Station Details: Davis VP2
Re: WC alerts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 12:31:20 AM »
You can receive text alerts from WeatherCat by sending it like an email directly to the mobile number.
I have my admin emails in WeatherCat setup to go to both an email account and text to me and it works well, attached is a screen shot of a test message received by text.
These cellular service providers can send email to text using the following format:

AT&T:
5551234567@mms.att.net

Verizon:
5551234567@vtext.com

T-Mobile:
5551234567@tmomail.net

Sprint:
1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

If you use a different provider do a web search for "'your provider name' email to text".
If you use more than one address, separate each with a comma and space.

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 12:52:42 AM »
You can receive text alerts from WeatherCat by sending it like an email directly to the mobile number.
I have my admin emails in WeatherCat setup to go to both an email account and text to me and it works well, attached is a screen shot of a test message received by text.
These cellular service providers can send email to text using the following format:

AT&T:
5551234567@mms.att.net

Verizon:
5551234567@vtext.com

T-Mobile:
5551234567@tmomail.net

Sprint:
1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

If you use a different provider do a web search for "'your provider name' email to text".
If you use more than one address, separate each with a comma and space.

that's interesting.  I use AT&T.  since the email function doesn't work for me how can I convert the email to text?  texting will be the only way I can receive an alert.  sorry ...  I'm not very tech savvy.

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 01:28:46 AM »
WeatherCat is sending the message as an email, the cellular provider is taking the email and delivering it as an SMS message.

You need to configure the SMTP server section in WeatherCat Preferences to send messages using an email account, attached below is a sample of how to set it up.

I have a web host account for my weather station, so I am using an email account setup just for WeatherCat to send messages to my email account and text to my phone.

If you have an email account setup with an Internet service provider, then you could use that account for sending emails in WeatherCat. You could try sending using port 25 without a user and password, but most service providers block port 25 and require authentication to prevent spamming.

drewaz

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 01:49:21 AM »
WeatherCat is sending the message as an email, the cellular provider is taking the email and delivering it as an SMS message.

You need to configure the SMTP server section in WeatherCat Preferences to send messages using an email account, attached below is a sample of how to set it up.

I have a web host account for my weather station, so I am using an email account setup just for WeatherCat to send messages to my email account and text to my phone.

If you have an email account setup with an Internet service provider, then you could use that account for sending emails in WeatherCat. You could try sending using port 25 without a user and password, but most service providers block port 25 and require authentication to prevent spamming.

Thanks for the reply Dave.  Sadly, despite MANY tweaks, a few of us are not able to get WC to send emails.  Nothing has worked.  And if you can't send an alert email it can't be converted to text.

I have a lot of apps including Honeywell for my HVAC system, my home security system, a couple of weather apps that send all alerts by text.  That's the way it's done these days!

I think WC should offer an option to get alerts by text.  It's the modern way!!!!!

Here's a link to a 3 page discussion about the problems with email a few of us have had.  It includes the things I tried that didn't work.  If you have any ideas, please send them to us!!!!!  https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3409.0

Thanks again ...  have a good weekend.

Dave13

• Gentle Breeze
    • CW7890
    • KTNPARSO2
    • ParsonsWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 02:09:07 AM »
Thanks for the reply Dave.  Sadly, despite MANY tweaks, a few of us are not able to get WC to send emails.  Nothing has worked.  And if you can't send an alert email it can't be converted to text.

I have a lot of apps including Honeywell for my HVAC system, my home security system, a couple of weather apps that send all alerts by text.  That's the way it's done these days!

I think WC should offer an option to get alerts by text.  It's the modern way!!!!!

Here's a link to a 3 page discussion about the problems with email a few of us have had.  It includes the things I tried that didn't work.  If you have any ideas, please send them to us!!!!!  https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3409.0

Thanks again ...  have a good weekend.

I read through the posts in that thread, it sounds like the issue could be with Monterey. I'm only guessing since my wx station Mac is still running Sierra and WeatherCat is not having any issues sending messages. I tried running it on Mojave but it was more sluggish since the drive is not an SSD, at some point I'll replace the HD with an SSD so I can upgrade the OS, but I'm in no hurry to do it, as they say "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Wish I could be of more help, have a good weekend.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
THANK YOU FOR THIS TIP!!(Re: WC alerts)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 10:52:03 PM »
Dear Dave13 and WeatherCat FYI types,

. . . .

WOW!! This is amazingly useful information!  I certainly didn't know this!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us. 

I am going to shamelessly repost this information in a separate topic to make it easier for other WeatherCatters to use it.

Thanks again!!  ThU5:-)  ThU5:-)  ThU5:-)

Edouard