Author Topic: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?  (Read 337 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Early 2011)
What has been the climate for June according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
Dear WeatherCat climate watchers,

Another month has passed so it is now possible to see what WeatherCat observed at our local stations.  As last month I have a report from WeatherCatRCP with the results:

While the results are literally below normal, they are surely less than one standard deviation so while there was a yo-yo of heat waves and cool periods the net result was average temperatures.  That's significantly different from the Climate Prediction Center's outlook for Northern California in June:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2737.msg26757#msg26757

According to that graph:

There was a 60% or greater chance of above normal temperatures right up to the coast.  I find this disturbing because what actually happened was fairly normal weather phenomena.  Instead of uniform heat, there was cyclical pattern of hot weather that was quenched by the cooler air from the ocean.  After each heat wave, ocean air was drawn inland leading to several days of below normal weather.  The physics is absolutely routine and mundane.  It is very much the sort of thing one would expect climate models to be able to easily capture.  It is in my opinion another clear example of the science not measuring up to what should be expected given our overall understanding of the atmosphere.

Edouard 

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS High Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Where I live, on the other side of the Sierras from Edouard, the forecast called for a 70% probability of higher than average temperatures, but it didn't turn out that way. We too had some hot days, but mostly we experienced temperatures that were slightly below average. On the other hand, we only had one very small rains storm, so the rain forecast was dead on.

June was... Cooler than average (58.2°F versus an average of 58.8 )
                 Dryer than average (0.10 in versus an average total of 0.63)
                 Windier than average (a wind run of 3253 miles versus an average of 2969)
Blick