Author Topic: Time laps / Movies  (Read 1767 times)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Time laps / Movies
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
I'm curious; how do other WC users set up Daily Movies on their web sites?

WC offers this of course, but some browsers don't seem to like the .MOV format. E.g. when I point Firefox to the test setup for this tag (http://live.trixology.com/custom/WeatherCatDailyMovie.mov), FF will tell me "the video cannot be played because the file is damaged". The same happens on my timelapse movie (http://www.weerenmeer.nl/WeatherCatDailyMovie.mov). Safari will play the movie but most other browsers seem to have a problem with it.

Could WC not generate the movie in another (more common?) format such as AVI or MP4?

I thought about using EVOCAM instead, but would prefer to have 'all-in-one' (= WC).  :)

Thanks,

Jos

xairbusdriver

• Storm
Re: Time laps / Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:34 AM »
I believe Apple is letting QuickTime die. They are one of the few who continue to display the format. I have no solution over than getting someone to write, perhaps, an AppleScript that could run the current WC output through another app that would convert the format to a more modern, 'standard' one. Alas, even AppleScript is on 'life support'.

BTW, Evocam is no longer being developed and maybe not even supported. [rolleyes2]

I suspect Stu has this on a future update list. He'll be back from his vacation soon and may have a more useful comment. [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Time laps / Movies
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
I suspect Stu has this on a future update list. He'll be back from his vacation soon and may have a more useful comment. [tup]

You suspect correctly - sadly to do this, all the old video code has to come out and a whole bunch of new stuff has to go in :(